2015 rmz 450 purchase???

Hi all,

New to the forum, well back when I rode dirt bikes there wasn't such a thing anyways lol. Was thinking of getting back into it for some weekend warrior riding, a bit of everything I guess. Looking at picking up a showroom condition 2015 rmz 450 for $5500 cad. Probably get it for $5000 but haven't really got that far yet. Haven't seen the bike in person yet cause it's 4 hrs away, but in the pics the bike looks brand new.

I'm not brand loyal. But the reason I'm looking at this one is because of its condition.

My last dirt bike was a 1987 yz 250, So there might be a few changes since then ha. It's closing in on 20 years since my last ride, ohhh boy!

Anyways, any feedback is appreciated.

Hi all, New to the forum, well back when I rode dirt bikes there wasn't such a thing anyways lol. Was thinking of getting back into it for some weekend warrior riding, a bit of everything I guess. Looking at picking up a showroom condition 2015 rmz 450 for $5500 cad. Probably get it for $5000 but haven't really got that far yet. Haven't seen the bike in person yet cause it's 4 hrs away, but in the pics the bike looks brand new. I'm not brand loyal. But the reason I'm looking at this one is because of its condition. My last dirt bike was a 1987 yz 250, So there might be a few changes since then ha. It's closing in on 20 years since my last ride, ohhh boy! Anyways, any feedback is appreciated. 

I have a 2013 RMZ450 and absolutely love it!! I can only imagine a 2015 would be even better. This is my first dirt bike so I guess I can't say it's the best.. but I've had 2 2006 Yamaha YFZ450 quads and blew both the motors up multiple times (spent over $15,000 on them in rebuilds and upgrades).. I will never buy a Yamaha again!!.. 

Ps I'm just an easy going "weekend rider" myself and I'm on the heavy side

Awesome that's good hear. What I've read about this bike is kinda 50/50(pos/neg). The suspension and the fact that the bike is a bit dated seems to be most people's complaint. 

Cheers!

Awesome that's good hear. What I've read about this bike is kinda 50/50(pos/neg). The suspension and the fact that the bike is a bit dated seems to be most people's complaint.  Cheers!  

I'm just a trail rider so I can't say the suspension is great for big jumps (because I've yet to jump more than 15', I don't have the gumption to do some these 60+ feet jumps) But I do get my bike in the air and ride some pretty rough trails, I don't see why everyone says the suspension is bad. I think it's perfect after playing with the clickers for an hour or 2 it feels just fine. Although I do have my forks set at the almost softest setting and it's perfect for me. But I'm a big heavy guy, I guess I can see it being a little stiff if your under 200 pounds (I'm 6',2" and 270 pounds). I don't mind that it's "dated" after talking with a lot of rmz owners I've come to believe the "why change what works" philosophy, new changes equals new problems  Also from all the rmz owners, they say the suspension on these bikes surpass most others after you get it "re-valved" or set up perfect for your ride style and weight. Like I said mine feels fine, but after I get all the other goodies I want I'll probably send mine in to get tuned for me just to see if really makes that big of a difference. But for now that's last on my list

I loved my 2012 RMZ450. The suspension on the 2015 is a pain in the ass but its all good if you have the suspension fitted to you. I think you should be able to get it cheaper than 5000.00

A dealer here has 2017 brandnew RMZ450 for 5200.00.   

Thanks folks! Im sure it'll b a great bike. I'm 6 ft @ 174lbs, more bike than I'll ever need really. Just don't know anything about them. I'll give the guy a call tomorrow and c if I can strike up a deal.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, smitttysmith said:

I loved my 2012 RMZ450. The suspension on the 2015 is a pain in the ass but its all good if you have the suspension fitted to you. I think you should be able to get it cheaper than 5000.00

A dealer here has 2017 brandnew RMZ450 for 5200.00.   

Apples and oranges price comparison wise from :usa: to :canada:

^^^ yeah no kidding.. 5200 USD = ~6300 CAD

I say if the bike is within your budget, and it's something you want.. then get it.  Worst case scenario is you buy it, not like it, then sell it.  Maintenance is about on par with any other Japanese MX bike.

Over the last couple weeks I've looked a lot and I mean a lot of bikes via the Internet. Got it narrowed down to 3 possibly 4 bikes. 

15 rmz 450 barely used, completely stock. Showroom condition. $5000 cad.

ad_1505438354731.jpg.

ad_1505438365368.jpg

Edited by Adams5xr
  • Like 1

15 yz450f low hrs 10hrs, renthal sprockets, bars, grips, Moto seat seat cover,rocket exhaust, and got the suspension revalved by SSS. Also has all stock parts $6000

ad_1505438171212.jpg

ad_1505438147130.jpg

Edited by Adams5xr

Gonna go look at them all next weekend. The stock rmz in the first pic looks brand new.

Edited by Adams5xr

3 nice bikes    you have a big decision  rmz450 corners the best,  kxf450 best overall in all shootouts and it has 1000.00 us exhaust.  what bike can you get parts for the quickest if anything breaks.  best of luck choosing one  the rmz and kxf would be my choices 

28 minutes ago, smitttysmith said:

3 nice bikes    you have a big decision  rmz450 corners the best,  kxf450 best overall in all shootouts and it has 1000.00 us exhaust.  what bike can you get parts for the quickest if anything breaks.  best of luck choosing one  the rmz and kxf would be my choices 

^^^All the YouTube vids said exactly that^^^

Getting parts for all 3 bikes isn't an issue.

If they're as nice in person as in the pics, it'll b tough choice. We'll c in a week if still available.

Cheers

Edited by Adams5xr

So I ended up purchasing the 2015 suzuki rmz 450.  Bike has 2 hrs on it, Like brand new. Don't like the clutch at all for trail riding, any suggestions. Haven't really spent much time on it but the clutch feel could b a whole lot better.

20170923_185733.jpg

• Like 2

On all of my bikes i just upgrade to heavier clutch springs. Its a cheap way to get a better clutch. if you have lots of money Hinson clutch kit

Thanks guys for the info. 

Ended up going with the magura hydraulic clutch 167. I'll throw this on and see what benefits I get out of it before I add springs etc....I'll let ya know the outcome. Also picked up a works connection hr meter.

I highly recommend throwing in the race tech gold valves if you have done suspension work before? Or get a shop to put them in for you. They have a very good feel for that year bike