Cam advice 470 (promise I searched)

I searched and searched.  Lots of conflicting info.

I called web cams as suggested, but was given kind of a blanket suggestion that didn't give me a warm fuzzy.  I'm hoping to get some better advice from the experience here.

Looking for low end power.

I have a 470 with an fcr41mx. Running stock cams now.

Also, looking info on what springs/valves to upgrade to.

This is a commuter, but I've given up on trying to maximize gas mileage. As long as it stays reliable, that's all I care about 

At least the 536 intake.

Ohio will have an exhaust recommendation or two.

So, what riding conditions?

2 minutes ago, Bermudacat said:

At least the 536 intake.

Ohio will have an exhaust recommendation or two.

So, what riding conditions?

It spend a lot of time on the highway at 70mph+. I ride it in the canyons a lot, but I also take it on a 2.5 hour freeway trip through the LA freeways every few weeks. It's geared 15/38 so highway performance is actually pretty good. It's coming out of the hole where I'm looking to improve 

I'd do the 536/536, but let Ohio chime in before you order the exhaust cam.

2 minutes ago, Bermudacat said:

Webcam?

This is what web recommended 

Screenshot_20170908-202059.png

536 is Web and it is the same grind as the OSHC, or 2003 intake I'm running right now.

I believe Megacycle will do exhaust cams with the decomp.

I hate lift in inches. Doesn't work for my motorcycle brain.

DRZ-cams.gif

4 minutes ago, Bermudacat said:

I hate lift in inches. Doesn't work for my motorcycle brain.

DRZ-cams.gif

Everything confuses my brain.  

2 minutes ago, Savage422 said:

Everything confuses my brain.  

Gotta study it at length, over time. :)

It spend a lot of time on the highway at 70mph+. I ride it in the canyons a lot, but I also take it on a 2.5 hour freeway trip through the LA freeways every few weeks. It's geared 15/38 so highway performance is actually pretty good. It's coming out of the hole where I'm looking to improve 

I have Hotcam 2003-1IN/ Web 540 in a 434 with a 41FCR and it runs strong over the entire rev range. With 15/38 gearing it's pretty much impossible to accelerate in 1st gear and keep the front tire on the ground at an rpm.

I would say go at least 540/540 or larger (539/540). I don't know if 536 will be enough duration.

After all the reading I've done I'm going to get Ferrea valves and use stock springs when I rebuild my head.

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

1 minute ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

I have Hotcam 2003-1IN/ Web 540 in a 434 with a 41FCR and it runs strong over the entire rev range. With 15/38 gearing it's pretty much impossible to accelerate in 1st gear and keep the front tire on the ground at an rpm.

I would say go at least 540/540 or larger (539/540). I don't know if 536 will be enough duration.

After all the reading I've done I'm going to get Ferrea valves and use stock springs when I rebuild my head.

So you're saying at least 540/540 intake? What about exhaust? Sorry for being cam dumb. Cars only have one cam where I come from. Lol.

Don't be afraid to talk to me like I'm clueless.

I won't even be mad at part numbers. Lol.

540 is a grind #. Web uses grind #'s for their profiles as oppose to stages as Hotcams uses.
540/540 means 540 intake, 540 exhaust.

Web isn't a off the self company. It's best to call and talk to them.

26 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

540 is a grind #. Web uses grind #'s for their profiles as oppose to stages as Hotcams uses.
540/540 means 540 intake, 540 exhaust.

Web isn't a off the self company. It's best to call and talk to them.

You're the man. I'll order them up Monday. 

You want the web cam ( rhc) grind.if your running the 5mm stroker crank.

2 minutes ago, mickeydee said:

You want the web cam ( rhc) grind.if your running the 5mm stroker crank.

Rhc?

You want the web cam ( rhc) grind.if your running the 5mm stroker crank. The 540 grind has lots of duration as well but a lot of lift.i would be worried about the intake valves getting to close to the piston if you have a 5 mm stroker.if it's the 4 mm stroker there's no worry.you also said your looking into more bottom end power .you are running an 41 fcr.the 41 works better for supermoto.the 39 will get more bottom end power

M

Rhc?

Rhc 187 cams( web cams copied it) the rhc 187 cams were developed specifically for the 470 stroker.becouse of the dynamic compression it makes.most other cams won't bleed off the pressure on overlap and you end up blowing the head gasket

Web makes the 187's.

187's are basically 540's with less lift. I don't think Web can sell them if you ask outright. If you said you wanted a custom 540 with 9.05 lift then they would.

In the quad world, 540 or 187 are considered small for 462cc and up.

I'd be tempted to go with a Megacycle exhaust to keep the decomp.

Stay away from the Web Ron Hamp Cycles grind that he specified for Web to build for him. He acted on the hunch that 9mm lift was all that the DRZ needed based on Hotcams move to dump the 2003 series in favor of the 2048/2049. I run more lift on my intake, with just slightly less duration, and my 'B' exhaust cam has more lift and the same duration as the 187's. This is on a stock bore. Guys that bought the RHC's found they could not rev past 9k due to the insufficient lift. I imagine the torque curve was falling like a dress on prom night around 7,500.

Ron Hamp was also the perpetrator of the 'all valves need pixie dust coating' myth. Never saw one of his porting jobs, but I imagine he was attacking them with a dremel just like Eddie Snizneros was. :(