Jump to content

Tire pressure on sportsman's setup with Shinko 705's?

Recommended Posts

Hey guys,

Wr450f with Shinko 705's on stock size rims. Recently did a run up to Santiago peak via Maple Road (SoCal plated dirt trail) and blew a rear tire. The dual sport and sportsmans setup is new to me and I'm not sure what kind of tire pressure range I should shoot for. The 705's are pretty stiff so I thought 25 psi cold would be ok for street and off road. Had a flat (think it was a pinch flat but havent taken the tire off yet) but I'm also loosing air through the base of the valve stem. Either way I got to thinking about air pressures.

 

What pressures would you recommend for street and for dirt with this setup?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It sounds like you have a bad tube.  Invest in some heavy duty or extra heavy duty tubes.  With extra heavy duty tubes, I run 12PSI front and 9PSI rear for racing off-road and don't pinch flat.  For dual sporting purposes, I run a bit more pressure so the tire doesn't squirm/flex as much which keeps the tire from heating up as much from extended pavement use.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, valve stem sheered off. I put in HD tubes with the 705's. I'm running 25 psi for solely street, airing down to 15 psi for dual sport. I'll run this and adjust if needed. I even think 15psi is too high for how stiff the tires are but the terrain I ride is very rocky, hard packed dirt.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

18psi is probably plenty for the street and will help with tire vibration. But then again I was running Dunlop 606 tires lol. Nice to see a fellow orange county dual sport guy around here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Vanillagurilla said:

18psi is probably plenty for the street and will help with tire vibration. But then again I was running Dunlop 606 tires lol. Nice to see a fellow orange county dual sport guy around here.

What did you think of the Dunlops? I went with a cheap dual sport tire not knowing if I would prefer new wheels (17 for sm and a more dirt oriented tire on the stock rims for dirty escapades). I love this setup and it works well for the local rides.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Nixinus said:

What did you think of the Dunlops? I went with a cheap dual sport tire not knowing if I would prefer new wheels (17 for sm and a more dirt oriented tire on the stock rims for dirty escapades). I love this setup and it works well for the local rides.

Well on my xr650r there not very good in the dirt or on the street but they do work on both and wear fairly well for a knobby tire. But I as well went with a sumo set up for the street and a more dirt specific tire for off road. Going to be trying out a new tire in the next couple weeks off road, maxxis maxxcross it desert tire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Vanillagurilla said:

Well on my xr650r there not very good in the dirt or on the street but they do work on both and wear fairly well for a knobby tire. But I as well went with a sumo set up for the street and a more dirt specific tire for off road. Going to be trying out a new tire in the next couple weeks off road, maxxis maxxcross it desert tire.

Thats the dilemma I have...spend the money on a Sumo setup or continue with the sportsmans setup. 

I have used my WR on road but I dont enjoy it as much as the trails. I dont know if its because of my setup or if I am partial to the trails. I have yet to ride a sumo (with proper 17's) so I am still on the fence about going full sumo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Nixinus said:

Thats the dilemma I have...spend the money on a Sumo setup or continue with the sportsmans setup. 

I have used my WR on road but I dont enjoy it as much as the trails. I dont know if its because of my setup or if I am partial to the trails. I have yet to ride a sumo (with proper 17's) so I am still on the fence about going full sumo. 

If you want to ride alot on the street, it's worth it. Not just for tire wear but it makes it much nicer on the street, wayyyy better braking, much much smoother and you can run much taller gearing. Plus I can go from this

20170623_152638.jpg

 

Edited by Vanillagurilla

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice. I'll have to keep an eye on sales this year. I have an extra set of stock rims with the intent to lace 17's to the hubs. Are you running tubeless? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Nixinus said:

Very nice. I'll have to keep an eye on sales this year. I have an extra set of stock rims with the intent to lace 17's to the hubs. Are you running tubeless? 

No, I got mine here.

https://motoxindustries.com/product/supermoto-conversion-kit/

Excellent quality. Fit was perfect but it is a bit difficult to get the wider wheels on as the caliper tends to sit somewhat inside the wheel. But after the first time you figure it out and swapping back and forth isn't to bad. Another plus is that you can run a better dirt tire because you won't be running it in the street as much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Vanillagurilla said:

No, I got mine here.

https://motoxindustries.com/product/supermoto-conversion-kit/

Excellent quality. Fit was perfect but it is a bit difficult to get the wider wheels on as the caliper tends to sit somewhat inside the wheel. But after the first time you figure it out and swapping back and forth isn't to bad. Another plus is that you can run a better dirt tire because you won't be running it in the street as much.

Oh man, I better hide my wallet.

Just got done rebuilding the carb and she runs strong, even with street gearing (+1/-3). I took her out this evening and all I kept thinking was how much better this would be with sumo wheels :ride:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Nixinus said:

Oh man, I better hide my wallet.

Just got done rebuilding the carb and she runs strong, even with street gearing (+1/-3). I took her out this evening and all I kept thinking was how much better this would be with sumo wheels :ride:

Lol I'm running 15 42 on mine, 15 51 on the dirt setup. At 15 42 I shift into 5th at 80mph when I'm on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Vanillagurilla said:

Lol I'm running 15 42 on mine, 15 51 on the dirt setup. At 15 42 I shift into 5th at 80mph when I'm on it.

Are you changing chains? I did +1/-3 so I wouldn't have to bother with it. I do want a little lower rpm on the hwy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Nixinus said:

Are you changing chains? I did +1/-3 so I wouldn't have to bother with it. I do want a little lower rpm on the hwy.

Yes i am, got a new non o ring chain for the sumo set up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2017 at 3:34 AM, Nixinus said:

Hey guys,

Wr450f with Shinko 705's on stock size rims. Recently did a run up to Santiago peak via Maple Road (SoCal plated dirt trail) and blew a rear tire. The dual sport and sportsmans setup is new to me and I'm not sure what kind of tire pressure range I should shoot for. The 705's are pretty stiff so I thought 25 psi cold would be ok for street and off road. Had a flat (think it was a pinch flat but havent taken the tire off yet) but I'm also loosing air through the base of the valve stem. Either way I got to thinking about air pressures.

 

What pressures would you recommend for street and for dirt with this setup?

What size of the 705's did you choose for the WR on the stock rims?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2018 at 5:36 AM, aaronmooreracing said:

What size of the 705's did you choose for the WR on the stock rims?

I used a 90/90H-21 on the front and a 120/80H-18 on the rear. They look super skinny, and could probably fit a bigger size but they rode really well on the street. I think the MT 21on the front is about as wide as the Shinko was on the rear.

 

They were ok on the dirt but since lacing new rims to some old stock hubs with MT21/D606, I haven't switched back. I would probably only use the Shinko's for a 95% pavement ride.

I put up some pictures for reference. Let me know if you want to know anything else.

20170327_151128.jpg

IMG_20180430_131848.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×