Which engine is it ktm 625

Ok so I just bought a ktm 625 I think I got it really cheap because the bike has electronic issues it will start but as soon as you give it throttle it looses spark,I will try to get it sorted when I have time.But my question is which engine is on my bike it has a black engine and silver high flow head,it only has a kickstart.

IMG_20170907_162537.jpg

Screenshot_20170909-125105.png

IMG_20170907_161717.jpg

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/ktm/625-smc/2003/

According to this bit of published info your bike is an LC4.  It looks like the LC4 engine in my buddies 1999 640 which is not really 640cc but 625 I think.  I thought they all had both electric start and kick start as stated in the MCN review.  You said yours only has kick start.  But I do believe yours is still an LC4.

Edited by coarsegoldkid
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, coarsegoldkid said:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/ktm/625-smc/2003/

According to this bit of published info your bike is an LC4.  It looks like the LC4 engine in my buddies 1999 640 which is not really 640cc but 625 I think.  I thought they all had both electric start and kick start as stated in the MCN review.  You said yours only has kick start.  But I do believe yours is still an LC4.

So it is bassicly 625 but it has high flow silver head,I wanted to know which motor is it so i know which parts to buy.

56 minutes ago, Egeriis said:

I will take it apart today or tomorrow,I found out it is 625 but someone changed right hand engine case which doesnt support electric start.

Just an update I fixed the bike,the carb was dirty I cleaned it it runs really good,just 1 problem my headlight and taillight isnt working but blinkers are,all cables look good and clean,I will need to test each cable to see where the problem is.

On 09/09/2017 at 11:52 AM, supermoto690 said:

Ok so I just bought a ktm 625 I think I got it really cheap because the bike has electronic issues it will start but as soon as you give it throttle it looses spark,I will try to get it sorted when I have time.But my question is which engine is on my bike it has a black engine and silver high flow head,it only has a kickstart.

IMG_20170907_162537.jpg

Screenshot_20170909-125105.png

IMG_20170907_161717.jpg

You say this is a 625SMC,it should have electric start,something isn’t right with this bike,looks like it has two parts of a different LC4 motor. 

The 625 is the middle bike of three models,it went like this

640 LC4 

625SMC LC4 (your bike!)

660SMC LC4- if this bike didn’t need it,it wasn’t on it,no electric start and in a high state of tune.

go look at some pictures of these bike and you will notice what iv told you.

not sure what has happened to yours and what you have been sold,I’d be asking questions if I was you... 

you should also have a hydraulic clutch not a cable one!

Edited by Qball1982

2 minutes ago, Qball1982 said:

You say this is a 625SMC,it should have electric start,something isn’t right with this bike,looks like it has two parts of a different LC4 motor. 

The 625 is the middle bike of three models,it went like this

640 LC4 

625SMC LC4 (your bike!)

660SMC LC4- if this bike didn’t need it,it wasn’t on it,no electric start and in a high state of tune.

go look at some pictures of these bike and you will notice what iv told you.

not sure what has happened to yours and what you have been sold,I’d be asking questions if I was you...

I have been riding it every day and I love it,is has a 620engine with high flow head and fcr41 carb and frame from 2005model,I have got in contact with the first owner he told me that the original engine blew up so he put a 620 engine on it,I got a hang of kicking it,I dont plan on putting electric start it is fun to kick it.

2 minutes ago, supermoto690 said:

I have been riding it every day and I love it,is has a 620engine with high flow head and fcr41 carb and frame from 2005model,I have got in contact with the first owner he told me that the original engine blew up so he put a 620 engine on it,I got a hang of kicking it,I dont plan on putting electric start it is fun to kick it.

This makes more sense then! Great bikes and possibly one of the most bulletproof engines KTM ever made,also the valves are the screw and locknut type and much easier and quicker to adjust than shim types.

Enjoy

1 minute ago, Qball1982 said:

This makes more sense then! Great bikes and possibly one of the most bulletproof engines KTM ever made,also the valves are the screw and locknut type and much easier and quicker to adjust than shim types.

Enjoy

He also said that he completely rebuilt the 620engine changed the clutch bearing and cam chain.I hope it is true what he said,engine always starts on first kick and pulls wheelies no problem,it is really fun.