kdx200 trans issues??

quick question before i tear the 200 apart...

my son was riding our 2000 kdx200 the other day and for no apparent reason the trans hung/stuck in 3rd gear.

he didn't crash, hit a tree or rock or anything, it just got stuck in that gear and will not shift up, down or anything,

i have kept the oil changed in the gearbox with good motorcycle oil and have never noticed any metal flakes or anything when changing it.

before i split the cases, i figured i'd check on here to see if any of you have had similar experience with this or any suggestions...

thanks 

Check the shifter shaft and see if anything is bent... think I was reading the same thing on KDX rider last week and that was the root cause. Also no splitting the case to fix :)

If nothing is bent and there is no contact, I would also check the return spring before you go splitting the case as that's been the reported cause of stuck shifters in the past.

Edited by RC_ichard
  • Like 3

The shift mechanism is under the clutch side engine cover.  You may have a problem there.  There is one small spring that makes the whole thing work than can break or pop off. 

Does the shifter go through the full range of travel but it just doesn't do anything or is the shifter stuck in place?

• Like 1

yes, shifter goes as high and as low, range wise, as it ever has...

that would be awesome if its just a spring issue behind the clutch cover area!!

thanks guys, i'll check that for sure!

also, no, the shift shaft does not appear to be bent:((

ok...got it sorted out.

the KIPS actuator arm had broken off and some of the metal flakes had lodged in between the the spring loaded mech on the shifter shaft.

got it all clean and operating freely again but now have to wait on actuator arm part and gaskets to put it back together.

• Like 1

ok guys, this might be a stupid question but i'm going to ask it anyway...

i'm putting the 200 back together and am pretty sure the power valve is suppose to be completely close when the bike is not running right???

that means the little wheel on the right side of the cylinder head should be turned counter clockwise till it will not turn anymore...right??