How do you do greenlaning?

Asking because I just got enduro tires on my ktm690 and have ridden 100 miles and they are 50% gone. Ripped to bits and I was babying in on the road. 

So you get some dual sport tires? No grip in the mud, no point riding muddy greenlanes

Get some road legal knobs? Mine are shredded instantly & no fun on the road.

Whats the opinion on riding lanes & having fun on the way. The bike came on metzeler sahara's and it was epic on the road but you spent all the time on the lanes dabbing feet :( Any middle ground?

Cheers ? 

You're never going to find tires that work well on both pavement and mud. Wait until the trails dry out (which may not happen in the UK) so you can ride the road specific tires on them, or haul the bike in a truck to the mud trails and ride the mud specific tires. Dual sport bikes are the ultimate compromise, jack of all trades, master of none.

Dirt bike for the dirt, street bike for the street.. ?

• Like 3

Meh, youd be surprised what you can do on street biased tires if you just try. You can't rail corners, but you can go just about anywhere lol. These Avon Trailriders have crap side to side traction (place was sand half the time and wet clay the rest of the time, so no surprise), but somehow they have mountains of forward traction. Never got stuck.  I rode 10+ miles of this that day. I did cut through the woods for most of these holes though. They were 3+ft deep with deeeeeep ruts the stupid ATVs dug. This photo is after we spent a LOT of time pulling that XR out of there. It was sunk to the bars. I told him to go around but he wanted to try lol. 

Before this I had some shinko 244s. They let me carry more speed off road and corner harder. They also got decent mileage on road. Problem was if I cornered hard on road they would break loose all of a sudden and leave me screaming obscenities in a random power slide. 

offroad.jpg

Edited by Oic0

4 hours ago, Flagstaff said:

The 690 comes with MT21's here. That has been my go to DS tire for 4 bikes and many years.

I'm trying Motoz Tractionator Desert H/T's for better life, but suspect they would be poor in mud.

Whats it like on the road?

I just want something slightly more dirt orientated that the Saharah. I'm thinking maybe KTM know what they're doing with tire choice for specific countries :)

I did some mud sections on them but it wasn't exactly quick.

9 hours ago, mosman said:

Whats it like on the road?

I just want something slightly more dirt orientated that the Saharah. I'm thinking maybe KTM know what they're doing with tire choice for specific countries ?

I did some mud sections on them but it wasn't exactly quick.

Loud, but acceptable for me. My slab time is only to get to the dirt.

This is an on-line shop in Canada that I buy from and IMO give's me a good idea of what dual sport tires I can get but obviously you need to narrow down rim size etc.

https://fortnine.ca/en/dirt-bike-motocross-tires/dual_sport_tires_

Now with that said, I have a plated DRZ400 and run dirt bike NON-DOT tires (which is my choice and I'm prepared to deal with any consequences) for 30 road 70 trials. i try not to ride them really hard on the pavement BUT I want them to work when I'm riding off road so as posted it is a good compromise for me.

Then I don't think ANY tire is actually rated to work good in the mud and I found that tires that where actually rated as not good in the mud, actually worked pretty good with lower PSI so as a suggestion, carry a good small dual action pump so you can drop PSI once you get off road, then re-inflated for the pavement.

If your looking at a more off road tire for mud, then an open thread pattern IMO something like a Michelin AC10

The 690 shreds tires like mad to begin with due to the torque. Got a guy in my DS club who can chunk out a brand new d606 with his 690, and I've never seen that happen on any bike other than that. The knobs on the d606 rears are ginormous. He also rides extremely aggressively and likes to do 60mph wheelies though.

He runs the really expensive steel belted desert tires on his -- not sure the brand, but they're like $160-190 each.

The D606 rear though overall is a great tire. Great on road wear, great off-road performance.

I've heard to skip the front. No experience with it though. Once it's tire time for my 450F, it's D606 rear, Pirelli Scorpion Pro or Kenda Washegoul front for me. Both DOT approvied. 

• Like 1

On 9/10/2017 at 10:19 AM, mosman said:

Heard mixed reviews, whats it like in the dirt?

For a 50/50 tire (which is what you are describing you want) the rear is excellent in the dirt. The front is not - the tread pattern is too close. I'd pick an open pattern DOT front tire to go along with the rear K270, something like the Kenda Trakmaster II.

2 hours ago, malignity said:

Once it's tire time for my 450F, it's D606 rear, Pirelli Scorpion Pro or Kenda Washegoul front for me. Both DOT approvied. 

The Scorpion is a great dirt tire but be warned, if you ride even moderate amounts of road and hard pack you'll wear through it quickly.

I ride a lot of green lane and logging roads and single lane paved. I can't find anything that really splits the difference between that and the desert and wet clay that I also ride. I've run two sets of Kenda trakmaster rears and mx52 fronts as a pretty good compromise. About to put on a Motoz tractionator i/t rear and looking at trying prolly the Kenda Washougal front with it. Here's a normal ride day. 20170911_160916.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 1

On 9/10/2017 at 11:19 AM, mosman said:

Heard mixed reviews, whats it like in the dirt?

I bought an 18" rear wheel for my KX250 so I could run the K270.  Excellent tire on hardpack, works pretty good on intermediate surfaces.  Sand traction is not great but it works.  Only shortcoming is slick mud.  Its only marginally worse than a starcross 5 or geomax in the sand/mud though.  Nothing that works in sand and mud will work or last on anything else.

That bike is ridden on the track exclusively.  I have also used the K270 as a dual sport tire on my KDX which is where I was initially impressed with it.  Wear life is excellent on the street and the handling is as good as you can expect. 

I haven't found anything better overall.  I highly recommend it.

I might be crazy, but I've never found a place where the D606 rear simply doesn't work. Sand, mud, dirt, pavement, etc.

I remember sitting in a mud hole shortly after install, planning to blast my cousin in law with mud as he came around the corner. I was on my KTM 400 EXC. Joke's on me, I cracked the throttle and instead of roosting, wheelied out of control, off the trail and into a tree. That right there is some grip. ?

• Like 1

The Kenda Washegoul front seems like a great tire, but I can't speak to its pavement longevity. My buddy runs one on his Beta 300RR and it's a hell of a lot wider than my Pirelli Scorpion. It doesn't feel goofy in the sand at all. I've been thinking of trying it out for more pavement usage. We'll see. 

1 hour ago, malignity said:

I might be crazy, but I've never found a place where the D606 rear simply doesn't work. Sand, mud, dirt, pavement, etc.

I remember sitting in a mud hole shortly after install, planning to blast my cousin in law with mud as he came around the corner. I was on my KTM 400 EXC. Joke's on me, I cracked the throttle and instead of roosting, wheelied out of control, off the trail and into a tree. That right there is some grip. ?

Sounds like might be the D606 on the rear then! Maybe the Mitas E09 would last longer though??? 

Yep the 690 has brutal torque so im not expecting to get 3000miles out of any tire, 1000 would be nice, got about 150 on my geomax's and they are 50% gone :( Blaming the hard rocky hill climbs for that