06 CRF250R kickstarter tough to move

Hi Everyone!

I have a 2006 CRF250R that is a monster to start. When I say it's tough to start, I mean it's physically nearly impossible to move the kick starter. When it does kick over, the kick is very smooth even if the motor doesn't fire. It's just nearly impossible to kick it all the way through the stroke at times, almost like there's too much compression. The bike has a high compression piston and I know the bike is fresh and maintained extremely well. The bike runs great once it fires, but I'm generally tired already by the time I actually get it running.

I've checked the valves and everything is within spec. I've always ridden 2 strokes and they are obviously much easier to start so I expected this bike to be a bit more difficult, just not this difficult to actually start. I've ridden some of the newer 450s and have no issue kicking them over, so I'm not sure why I have an issue kicking this 250 over, even if I'm standing on something to get more leverage. I thought maybe I just need to hit the gym more, but everyone else has the same issue when they give it a shot. Any ideas?

Thanks!

I would check to make sure the auto decompression mechanism is there and functioning properly. It's a little arm that is on the opposite side of the sprocket, and it is spring loaded. You should be able to turn it by hand, and the spring should return it back into its resting state.

• Like 1