YZ250X float height weirdness...

So when I got my 2016 250X new, it was impossible to jet and fouled several plugs in the first few hours and just wouldn't run clean.  It was a sputtering spooging disaster.  I checked the float height and even without measuring it looked high.  I bent the tab and dropped it (dropped fuel level, raised float bla bla bla).  Didn't measure it, but immediately my symptoms were gone and my bike became tuneable with jetting. 

So that was 70 hours ago...

Today I took my carb off and actually measured the float height as described in the service manual.  It's a bit more than 8mm.  Specified height is 6.5mm.  In general, my bike runs pretty clean and freakin rips, but occasionally, like when descending steep hills, it still exhibits traits of a too high fuel level in the bowl.

I wonder what's up with this?  Is it possible that this is like the oil level plug for the gearbox?  At some point, the design changed and the manual wasn't updated?  Anybody else experience this? 

It's not a problem, I've always believed in tuning float level by "feel", not strictly by measurement, but it's strange that the specified measurement would cause the bike to run like crap...

Most likely you riding style is way to mellow for the bike and its jetting. Those bikes need to run form 3000 to 7000 RPM which is quite a challenge. 

Set your Float height to minimum and raise the needle one or 2 spots. Spooge has something to do with not getting the right jetting together with your riding style,  

I have always tuned the float height by feel. Usually I'll start by setting it at the recommended 6.5mm, but usually have to tweak it up or down. My 03 yz250 was happiest at 7.5mm, at 6.5mm it leaked out the overflow too easily.

Bottom line I'd stick with what you've found to work.