Snapped bolt - need help and ideas

Hi all, 

Recently noticed a snapped bolt on the left hand side of my motor. I have attached photos. I believe its an engine casing bolt, however i'm unsure. I want to remove it and replace it however have thought about leaving it as nothing is leaking. What are your thoughts? Thanks 

IMG_4340.JPG

IMG_4341.JPG

IMG_4342.JPG

You will have to remove it next time you split the cases.

The threads should be in the opposite side case still, along with a good portion of smooth shank. 

You should have no issues removing it when the time comes.

Bolts don't bottom out in the hole to hold an item in place.  The head of the bolt bottoms on the item, and the threads pull in the opposite direction  So, as long as the threads weren't 'messed up' the bolt won't be tight in hole.  You may be able to take a slim flat tip and back it out of the hole.  You can even sharpen the small flat tip, and take a small ball-peen hammer and casually tap on the screw driver, and make a slight slot in the broken bolt and back it out.

• Like 1

Worst case scenario of you don't want to split the case just drill it. Im pretty sure it's a - 6 1.0 and you can run a Healy coil in there after. Just make sure it doesn't go all the way though the case or you may get metal shavings in the case of you go that route.

• Like 1

get a reverse twist drill bit (left twist instead of right twist) and as you drill into the bolt it will start backing itself out without damaging the threaded hole. 

• Like 1