2004 yz85 brake pad wont fit over top of the rotor

Hi first time doing rear brakes on a dirt bike the bike needed them badly the genius that had the bike before me wore the pad down so bad they where using the piston as a brake pad ordered new pads they seem to be the right type and fit but they will not go over the top of the rotor the piston is pushed all the way back it seems like the bracket that connects the brake caliper to the swing arm is getting in the way is there any way to adjust it dont want to grind the new pads down just to fit....any tips please let me know thanks 

DSCN1686.JPG

DSCN1689.JPG

DSCN1688.JPG

Edited by nickwilliams79

You will need to wedge and pry them apart, thus pushing the piston in and widening the gap. Do it slow, with a tool or instrument that will not damage the pad surface. Then when it's installed, you will feel no brakes in the first squeeze, but just pump it and it will come back. 

Also, the caliper floates on the pins, so align it properly. 

• Like 1

I bought a set of pads before that were to thick. I had to grind them down. 

1 hour ago, seer said:

I bought a set of pads before that were to thick. I had to grind them down. 

Never heard of that before. Must have been chineese crap. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, P84ONE said:

You will need to wedge and pry them apart, thus pushing the piston in and widening the gap. Do it slow, with a tool or instrument that will not damage the pad surface. Then when it's installed, you will feel no brakes in the first squeeze, but just pump it and it will come back. 

Also, the caliper floates on the pins, so align it properly. 

the piston is all the way back as far as it can go it seems the bracket that is connected to the caliper is getting in the way

That bracket isn't 'fixed' solidly on the caliper, there are 2 floating pins which it should easily slide on.

In the 2nd pic, the rubber boot shows it's in the extented position, it should push back in to allow fitment. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, P84ONE said:

Also, the caliper floates on the pins, so align it properly

1 hour ago, mlatour said:

That bracket isn't 'fixed' solidly on the caliper, there are 2 floating pins which it should easily slide on.

In the 2nd pic, the rubber boot shows it's in the extented position, it should push back in to allow fitment. 

1 hour ago, nickwilliams79 said:

the piston is all the way back as far as it can go it seems the bracket that is connected to the caliper is getting in the way

Read the BOLD

If it is not sliding on the pins, it's time to slide it off and re-grease the pins, so it does.

Get a manual

thanks alot for your help i was able to adjust it so it will fit it was just stuck now less of a chance my son will run into something with working front and back brakes :goofy:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, nickwilliams79 said:

thanks alot for your help i was able to adjust it so it will fit it was just stuck now less of a chance my son will run into something with working front and back brakes :goofy:

Good deal!