74jimbo

74jimbo's engine build thread

47 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, ontheroad68 said:

I think you will also need a generator rotor puller

If you're talking about the M38 x 1.5 RH flywheel remover, I already have that

Look at Rockymountainatvmc.com.  Their Tusk products are inexpensive and seem to be a good quality. I can at least vouch for the Tusk chain breaker and the press tool. I haven't gotten anything Tusk that I haven't been impressed with especially for the price. 

I’ve sampled many a tusk product since the main warehouse is 5 minutes from my house, always been good products IMO

never heard of engine dynamics, but will look into them. I do like they are in the bay area, but as you know, that menas they will just charge 3x everyone else, because hte bay area is expensive....

I found their prices quite reasonable, and their experience is impressive.

On 9/11/2017 at 4:48 PM, ohiodrz400sm said:

The shops I talked to were in Utah, Iowa and Florida. Fast Heads, Advantage Cycle and Meyers Racing.

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

I use fastHeads, APE, and soon Meyers Racing.

Service is about $150, then plus parts.
Guides are not normally needed unless tons of hours, or physical damage.
I always do valves, seals, springs and locks on every head I have serviced. Ti Tops as needed for different springs or upon request, guides and new seats as needed. 
Ferrera Valves

R&D springs and tops

OEM locks and seals 

Seats .....Meyers has a material he is using Ive not seen or used, so I'm going to try that as he has had great service from it. 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, 0macman0 said:

I found their prices quite reasonable, and their experience is impressive.

Engine Dynamics has been in the game a long time... Ive used them to repair cam journal carnage...and had ok work.. Ive seen them used for combustion chamber damage repair and its been both great to "what 13 year old with his dads tool set did that" 
Id still use them in a heart beat...... but with the understanding, don't return it looking like it was welded up and hand cut back to shape with a Harbor freight electric wood carving tool. 

Engine Dynamics has been in the game a long time... Ive used them to repair cam journal carnage...and had ok work.. Ive seen them used for combustion chamber damage repair and its been both great to "what 13 year old with his dads tool set did that" 
Id still use them in a heart beat...... but with the understanding, don't return it looking like it was welded up and hand cut back to shape with a Harbor freight electric wood carving tool. 

I’ve had the combustion chamber repair your described from a local machinist in my area. If it’s any consolation, it is functional. :)