Is it bad to run a 2 stroke out of gas

I needed to buy some gas but couldn't get ethanol free so I got regular after a ride I turn the gas off and run it out of gas but I was told running it out of gas will ruin your engine because your starving it of lubricant when you running it out and it decal pops a lot but only when I'm running it out of gas so will it ruin my engine or not?

It is not good for it. Shut off the bike and simply open the drain screw. Running it until it stops only half drains the carb anyways.

Okay should I just drain it with the drain screw instead

What octane do you use

5 minutes ago, Hunter743 said:

Okay should I just drain it with the drain screw instead

What octane do you use

Yes

Pump premium. Do not make up more than you will use. Add stablizer if it is going to sit more than two weeks.

If you run it out while riding very slowly or idling, it won't likely won't hurt your engine as there is a decent oil film on all the moving parts.  However, as stated, it doesn't really accomplish your goal.  Using the drain screw is a better idea.

If you run it out while riding very slowly or idling, it won't likely won't hurt your engine as there is a decent oil film on all the moving parts.  However, as stated, it doesn't really accomplish your goal.  Using the drain screw is a better idea.

Okay, this seems like a dumb question but is the Karin screw the nut looking thing on the bottom of the carb

Yes. You don't have to back it out all the way. The shaft is drilled to let it drain while threads still engaged. 17 mm. Do NOT tighten it very tight. Snug (3 ft/lb) is tight enough and recommended by Keihin. 

DSC01550a.jpg

Edited by LSHD
  • Like 1

We are fortunate in my area to have ethanol free gas available. In a pinch though there is no harm in running ethanol gas. I know guys that run it all the time and that stuff really messes up carburetors if left to sit for any length of time.

When I want to drain mine, I shut off the petcock and let it run for a bit on the stand, then stuff a couple blue shop towels under the drain plug and let it drain.  All the fuel gets soaked up and prevents the mess.  There's not much in there if you let the bike run for a bit first.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hunter743 said:

I needed to buy some gas but couldn't get ethanol free so I got regular after a ride I turn the gas off and run it out of gas but I was told running it out of gas will ruin your engine because your starving it of lubricant when you running it out and it decal pops a lot but only when I'm running it out of gas so will it ruin my engine or not?

You will get a lean surge at the end of fuel consumption. Mutiple times are "not" good on the engine as you loose the coat of oil on the crank/piston parts, drain as prescribed above. 

Also, put an exhaust plug in it to insure no moisture gets to the cylinder. Uncoated parts are more susceptible to moisture in the air. 

• Like 1

You will get a lean surge at the end of fuel consumption. Mutiple times are "not" good on the engine as you loose the coat of oil on the crank/piston parts, drain as prescribed above. 
Also, put an exhaust plug in it to insure no moisture gets to the cylinder. Uncoated parts are more susceptible to moisture in the air. 

Will do but is the drain screw the nut looking thing on the bottom of the carb

2 minutes ago, Hunter743 said:

Will do but is the drain screw the nut looking thing on the bottom of the carb

Yes

As far as fuel mix and fuel sitting around, I use a can of seafoam in every 5 I mix regardless of how fast I use it. CA gas is CRAP!, AZ will be a little better, but I will still use seafoam. Fuel "they say" can sit for a year, but I never have done that.