Which one to buy

Looking at two yz250f, I'm stuck on which one to buy. The first one is a 2014 with around 50 hours. And the second is a 15 with 60. Both owners said they were trial ridden. And both are about 3700. Stuck on which one to buy because I can't find what the differences are between two years and which one would be better for the long run. If you know about these bikes please let me know. Thank you

IMG_0248.jpgIMG_0249.jpg

https://maine.craigslist.org/mcy/d/yamaha-250/6293342183.html

Well the 2015 had some refinements and tweaks done to the cam and the computer for the engine. I'd go with the newer one if it were me as it's an improved version of the first gen fuel injected yz250f

Well the 2015 had some refinements and tweaks done to the cam and the computer for the engine. I'd go with the newer one if it were me as it's an improved version of the first gen fuel injected yz250f

Would you be worried about how the newer one has more hours? And to me it looks less clean but you know more than me

Just now, mritch8 said:

Would you be worried about how the newer one has more hours? And to me it looks less clean but you know more than me

Technically it still has 90-140 hours of riding time before it 'should' be rebuilt, if it weren't abused and ridden on the rev limiter. Do you expect a dirt bike to look clean when it's ridden on dirt on the daily? Lol

Technically it still has 90-140 hours of riding time before it 'should' be rebuilt, if it weren't abused and ridden on the rev limiter. Do you expect a dirt bike to look clean when it's ridden on dirt on the daily? Lol
90-140 before it needs top end or both bottom and top?

Just now, mritch8 said:
2 minutes ago, Brad04 said:

90-140 before it needs top end or both bottom and top?

Top end. You shouldn't have to touch the bottom end for as long as you own the bike long as it's 60 'original' hours on the bike. 

Top end. You shouldn't have to touch the bottom end for as long as you own the bike long as it's 60 'original' hours on the bike. 

Ok so you mean new piston and valves? The kid wants 39 for this one and 36 for the other would that be worth the difference

Just now, mritch8 said:

Ok so you mean new piston and valves? The kid wants 39 for this one and 36 for the other would that be worth the difference

Just new piston needle bearing and rings. The valves should only need adjusting long as they are in good shape still. You can always talk them down in prices too. 

Buy the 1 in the best condition.

Nothing lasts forever. Bottom end typically last around 2 or 3 times as long as a top end. As with anything, maintenance is key. 50-60 hours is certainly more than enough time to screw up either bike. If you're not comfortable in your mechanical aptitude, take a friend/family member who is and go look at the bikes. Posting pictures on the internet and asking which is better is equivalent to flipping a coin.

2014 had a questionable water pump shaft that was changed in 15. Allot of 14 owners replaced it with the new unit (myself included) while other never reported any trouble.

While you have the right side engine case off, replace the shift shaft stopper wheel with a 15 part also. Ask the owner if these changes were done. If not, it's not a big deal or expensive to do yourself.

2015 had a recall for some bikes seizing. I can't remember the details. Ask the owner about that as well. Also ask him were the original plastic is.

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

Buy the 1 in the best condition.

Nothing lasts forever. Bottom end typically last around 2 or 3 times as long as a top end. As with anything, maintenance is key. 50-60 hours is certainly more than enough time to screw up either bike. If you're not comfortable in your mechanical aptitude, take a friend/family member who is and go look at the bikes. Posting pictures on the internet and asking which is better is equivalent to flipping a coin.

2014 had a questionable water pump shaft that was changed in 15. Allot of 14 owners replaced it with the new unit (myself included) while other never reported any trouble.
While you have the right side engine case off, replace the shift shaft stopper wheel with a 15 part also. Ask the owner if these changes were done. If not, it's not a big deal or expensive to do yourself.

2015 had a recall for some bikes seizing. I can't remember the details. Ask the owner about that as well. Also ask him were the original plastic is.

Ok how long do you think is left on the trail ridden top end? How hard is replacing that shaft because? Would u be able to do it myself? Ok thank you for the advice I'll be sure to ask him

Hard to say. 1 afternoon with a poorly installed air filter is all it takes to hurt these engines. You'll have to inspect the bike yourself.

I replaced my water pump shaft and shift stopper in about an hour. It's not hard. I would say it's at a difficulty level that should be within your level if you're considering a 4 stroke (or any) motocrosser

Hard to say. 1 afternoon with a poorly installed air filter is all it takes to hurt these engines. You'll have to inspect the bike yourself.

I replaced my water pump shaft and shift stopper in about an hour. It's not hard. I would say it's at a difficulty level that should be within your level if you're considering a 4 stroke (or any) motocrosser

Ok so I think it would be possible. I'm going to check the 15 out tomorrow hope it checks out. If not I'll buy the 14 and save some money
  • Like 1