Clutch feels "jerky" when shifting through all gears

We picked up a used 2016 CRF125 Big wheel that is in pretty solid shape. One thing I've noticed is that when shifting into any gear, releasing the clutch lever and then giving it some throttle I get a fairly noticeable "jerk". It feels like maybe the clutch is engaging late even though I've fully released the lever.

I don't have a ton of experience with bikes and I'm comparing the feel to the CRF230 we own which is fairly smooth when switching between speeds.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Check that your cable has enough slack and is not frayed or kinked or in a bind. Give it some lube if it is in good condition and make sure it is routed correctly.  There may also be an external adjuster similar to CRF100 on yours, however I am not familiar with crf125. Check the easy stuff first before cracking open the case. Also make sure your chain and sprockets are in good condition. I have seen neglected sprockets slip teeth and feel jerky at shifting too.

Sorry for the late follow up. Thanks for the advice.

I've adjusted the chain (and lubed it). I need to dig into whether there is an external adjuster or not. I'm not sure if I'm brave enough yet to remove the clutch cover ;)