help! bike died mid ride- 2013 300xcw

I was 20 miles into a ride and my 2013 300xcw just died. I had plenty of gas. I changed the spark plug and checked it for spark. NO SPARK! I disconnected the kill switch thinking it may have a short or something, but that didn't do it either. Why would the bike stop getting spark in the middle of a ride. I didn't crash or anything... just cruising along. What is most likely the problem, and how do I test for it? Help/thoughts/advice is much appreciated!

Is the bike new to you ?

Did the bike start up again after it sat awhile?

For the petcock to be fully on, it should be pointing to the rear and kinda inward toward the airbox.

Also, the point in fuel level in the tank where it requires the petcock be put to reserve seems kinda high, so don't overlook setting it to reserve when it dies like that, to be sure.

The black line seen on my tank is the point where switching to reserve becomes necessary.

Also rule out that your gas cap isn't venting properly. If you have one of those stubby gas cap vents, ditch it.

KTM reserve.JPG

Edited by Trailryder42
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Trailryder42 said:

And you verified that "how"?

by plugging in a brand new spark plug and cranking the engine while holding the plug to the head bolt and looking for a spark. There wasn't one. Trust me...no spark is my issue. It is NOT fuel related

Check for a loose or missing resistor and screw inside the plug cap.

Hold the electrode end of the plug in your hand while cranking the engine. See what that reveals.

Next would be checking the CDI connector for abnormalities. Then troubleshooting the CDI itself.

Also, doing the multimeter checks on the components that make up the ignition system inside the stator cover.

Do you have the shop manual on CD?

Edited by Trailryder42

1 hour ago, Trailryder42 said:

Hold the electrode end of the plug in your hand while cranking the engine. See what that reveals.

are you dumb, or just messing with me? what would that reveal? How about a nasty shock. Thanks man, I'm not stupid.

14 hours ago, craig3x said:

are you dumb, or just messing with me? what would that reveal? How about a nasty shock. Thanks man, I'm not stupid.

You would know for certain that you have spark.

Edited by GasitandCrash
Inapproiate content
  • Like 3

Craig,

Exact same thing happend to my 2016 250 XC-W at 30ish hours. Just riding along and bike died. Installed new plug and nothing. Then checked for spark and there was none. Anyway, turned out to be the stator. Supposedly this is a well known issue on 12-16 KTM 2-strokes. With that in mind, I passed on a new oem and went with a Trail Tech. Have 20 hours on the new Trail Tech and zero issue so far.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GasitandCrash said:

Well if you got a nasty shock, you would know for certain that you have spark.  Not afraid of a little shock are ya?  No worse than peeing on an electric fence (don't ask). WAIT WAIT don't perform that test if you have a pacemaker!!!!!  That's one thing  

Another thing is: free advice is worth what you paid for it.  Doesn't seem productive to troll the folks that are offering advice, even if they might be trolling you. It's up to you to pick the corn out of the $hit.  

Good Luck

So true! but I remember the days when thumpertalk members were all very helpful when they could be, and stayed quiet when they couldn't offer any help. Can we get back to that?

9 hours ago, craig3x said:

So true! but I remember the days when thumpertalk members were all very helpful when they could be, and stayed quiet when they couldn't offer any help. Can we get back to that?

You are right, My comments were not helpful, and I have edited them accordingly.

Same thing happened to me last time I was riding. My bike died and I had no spark. I took it into my local bike dealer and found out it was a dead stator. My bike is a 2015 KTM 250 XC-W and I only have 59 hours on it. I replaced my OEM stator with a TrailTech high output stator. Haven't ridden it yet, but it starts and runs now.

so, I thought all was good. Changed the stator and the bike fired up. Took it out to ride, and it runs like crap when the powerband hits. It cuts out like it has a rev limiter or something, but very early on in the powerband. I took the carb off thinking it might randomly thinking possible clogged main jet. I had it professionally cleaned in a sonic washer and put a brand new air filter on as well but that didn't fix it. When its in neutral, it runs and revs perfect, but under load, its cutting out. All that's left in my mind is either the coil or the CDI. What are your thoughts?

12 minutes ago, theBIGnaud said:

Recheck stator timing. check reeds.

stator timing? There wasn't anything to do but swap it out. I did check reeds. They are perfect.

4 minutes ago, craig3x said:

stator timing? There wasn't anything to do but swap it out. I did check reeds. They are perfect.

err there should be a timing mark.. take the cover off and check again