Plug check

This plug is out of my sons 2015 200XCW. It has the Suzuki needle NECJ 2nd clip down 42 pilot and 165 main air screw 1.5.  It has been ridden at 700-900ft and 65-85 degrees. It is used for trail riding mostly with him lugging it most of the time. I started out in the 3rd clip it looked fat and seemed a little lazy. Bike woke up when we changed to 2nd clip. Bike runs great but it is cooling off now and I noticed that the plug has some sparkle on top of the resistor. We will be riding the rest of the year in 45-60 degrees. What do you guys think?

IMG_1225.JPG

IMG_1226.JPG

IMG_1227.JPG

IMG_1228.JPG

wow. now thats a hardcore plug chop.  id say that looks nice and brown.  cant complain.  id call er close enough ;) 

• Like 1

Your "sparkle on top of insulator" does not sound good to me, but I can't really tell from your photos what it might be. Could it be melting metal?

What are you trying to do? The plug is too old and colored for a serious analysis. Brown is good, but usually you read only the 2mm or so where the insulator meets the shell. See

plugreaddrawing.jpg

7 hours ago, pat22043 said:

Your "sparkle on top of insulator" does not sound good to me, but I can't really tell from your photos what it might be. Could it be melting metal?

What are you trying to do? The plug is too old and colored for a serious analysis. Brown is good, but usually you read only the 2mm or so where the insulator meets the shell. See

plugreaddrawing.jpg

You can only see the sparkle at the very top of the insulator which can be seen in pic 1 and 2. I did a plug chop this spring with a new plug and it was good but that mostly shows the main jet. The problem is my son is rarely on the main. Just about everywhere on the plug is dark brown except for the one spot where it has something on it that sparkles. I am was also worried that it was melted aluminum. Maybe I should go one clip richer for the cooler weather to be safe?

You should ride it. An old plug ridden easy with high hours isn't a great tuning tool. It could  be rich at idle and lean at 1/4 throttle.  

Sparkle ? I can't see it. Melted piston is always bad.

Edited by seer

On 11/09/2017 at 5:06 AM, yellow_busa said:

This plug is out of my sons 2015 200XCW. It has the Suzuki needle NECJ 2nd clip down 42 pilot and 165 main air screw 1.5.  It has been ridden at 700-900ft and 65-85 degrees. It is used for trail riding mostly with him lugging it most of the time. I started out in the 3rd clip it looked fat and seemed a little lazy. Bike woke up when we changed to 2nd clip. Bike runs great but it is cooling off now and I noticed that the plug has some sparkle on top of the resistor. We will be riding the rest of the year in 45-60 degrees. What do you guys think?

IMG_1225.JPG

IMG_1226.JPG

IMG_1227.JPG

IMG_1228.JPG

Looks good to me 

42 pilot would be good at you elevation 

( with correct air screw adjustment)

Mig you need to go richer on needle in colder weather get a neDj and run clip 2

plug chops are only good to test the main jet and need to be done with a new plug 

8 hours ago, kxrob said:

Looks good to me 

42 pilot would be good at you elevation 

( with correct air screw adjustment)

Mig you need to go richer on needle in colder weather get a neDj and run clip 2

plug chops are only good to test the main jet and need to be done with a new plug 

On your recommendation this spring I did buy the NEDJ and will try that in clip 2 next for cooler weather. I originally had the NECJ in clip 3 for the summer but seemed a little lazy off idle and when you first started to give it gas. When we moved it to 2nd clip it woke right up and had a lot more snap off idle. I tried playing with the air screw a little and it didn't seem to make much of a difference but the screw has very little resistance when turning it. It does bottom out and I am 1.5 turns out but the idle really doesn't go up or down when I move it around. Does this seem normal? Thanks for all the help

Looks rich to me.  I shoot for a nice orange tone with less soot.

Maybe drop the main one size.  Can't say for sure but the needle clip and pilot may be rich too.  Those are easier to tune by feel.  I suspect it is far from crisp looking at that plug.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, turbo dan said:

Looks rich to me.  I shoot for a nice orange tone with less soot.

Maybe drop the main one size.  Can't say for sure but the needle clip and pilot may be rich too.  Those are easier to tune by feel.  I suspect it is far from crisp looking at that plug.

it is rich 

definately safe on the main

6 hours ago, yellow_busa said:

On your recommendation this spring I did buy the NEDJ and will try that in clip 2 next for cooler weather. I originally had the NECJ in clip 3 for the summer but seemed a little lazy off idle and when you first started to give it gas. When we moved it to 2nd clip it woke right up and had a lot more snap off idle. I tried playing with the air screw a little and it didn't seem to make much of a difference but the screw has very little resistance when turning it. It does bottom out and I am 1.5 turns out but the idle really doesn't go up or down when I move it around. Does this seem normal? Thanks for all the help

yep , you are to high in elevation to run necj clip 3 , i would think that even necj clip 2 might be rich ( safe tho )

when you set the air screw did you warm bike up and then back out the IDLE screw as much as possible to get the lowest idle then adjusted AIR screw for highest idle ?

1 hour ago, RollieW said:

Power valves are why plugs are black nowdays and also why smokers dont sieze up regularly like they used to. Your not going to have a chocolate brown plug riding 2000 to 6000 up and down all day. Just jet it to run good.

Sent from my SM-G930V using ThumperTalk mobile app

I've never owned a KX that didn't have a power valve.  They are all jetted crisp and the plugs run a very nice orange brown.  Can't blame the power valve.

18 hours ago, kxrob said:

it is rich 

definately safe on the main

yep , you are to high in elevation to run necj clip 3 , i would think that even necj clip 2 might be rich ( safe tho )

when you set the air screw did you warm bike up and then back out the IDLE screw as much as possible to get the lowest idle then adjusted AIR screw for highest idle ?

I did not back the idle screw out and then adjust air screw for highest idle. We are taking a trip this weekend so I will try adjusting the air screw some more then. It does suck living in the city sometimes. Thanks for the guidance

I really appreciate all the help from you guys. It has been years and years since I tuned a carb and that was on several 4 stroke dragbikes where we mostly cared about half throttle on. Plus it is a lot harder since I am not the one riding the bike other then for a minute or two at a time.

Edited by yellow_busa

Does your son even notice/care? Or is it you that's hunting for a 100% perfectly tuned carb?

Let him ride and have fun. If he's not complaining, leave it be. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

36 minutes ago, cdf450 said:

Does your son even notice/care? Or is it you that's hunting for a 100% perfectly tuned carb?

Let him ride and have fun. If he's not complaining, leave it be. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

It is me being a freak about being right but also seeing the little bit if shiny white/silver material on the top of the insulator made me nervous. All other indicators point to it being rich at this point .My son did like it better when I went up to the second clip. He said it felt more responsive and crisp, which is what I thought also.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, cdf450 said:

My son hated his 250 jetted crisp. He wanted a perfect idle but rich from 1/8 throttle on. Tame with strong low rpm roll on. 

• Like 1