Xr plastic restoration

So here's a couple of pics of the gas tanks from both my '85 and '90 xr200r's. 

20151222_015556.thumb.jpg.f45470329ca9bc82ed5fc8802fced176.jpg20160118_200427.jpg.491e5d47f33c0b2586cda3a6c86f2e4f.jpg20160120_225618.thumb.jpg.d93eacc45be30a0e42a74e93ee354dc7.jpg

I've scraped the oxidation off with a razor blade. I've watched some videos on YouTube on people redoing their tanks, and I've gotten started wet sanding the '85 and so far doesn't look too bad but still have a lot of sanding to do with finer grit then buff it to a nice shine. 

My question is, has anybody done this themselves? And if so, how do you keep the nice finish?

I've also read that acetone works too, but it won't help as bad as the oxidation was set in. I rubbed it down with some for a bit but didn't seem to do much. I'm not gonna buy a new tank when I have 2 perfectly good tanks that just need a lil work

• Like 1

Scraping with a very flexible razor blade to get the initial oxidation and finishing up with a #0000 steel wool and dish wash soap (not diluted), has garnished good results for me. 

Michael 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Alexxxx said:

Try a heat gun or propane burner, but don't blow yourself up.

If only I spoke German lol. I get what's going on though. I think I'll try to find an old plastic lawn chair before I get out my bottle torch or heat gun on one of my tanks 

Das ist sehr gut, ja, fantastisch !!!

Worked for a German Biotech Company and have been to Germany, so know just a "little" German. 

I was impressed, and this coming from someone who is half American and half English. 

Michael 

• Like 1

Thanks for the compliment.

I'm just a mix of a Frankfurt mother and a bad Bad Hersfeld father, east Hessia.

Some US troopers will know the place: 11thACR 3rd Squadron McPheeters Barracks.

Had a good time with almoust any american i knew over here.

Edited by Alexxxx