Shock removal on '17 450???

What's the best way to get the rear shock out on a '17 CRF450R without taking the entire bike apart?  Is is easier to remove the subframe or the swingarm? I'm thinking subframe, but not sure what all is involved, are there any gotchas that make that approach more difficult than it looks?  I already removed all the bolts that hold the airbox in place just so I could push it back a little bit to get the shock reservoir past it, then realized the reservoir wouldn't fit through the swingarm without removing it.

18 minutes ago, GoneDirtBikeN said:

I remove the subframe anytime I take the shock out. You don't have to do a thing with the swing arm. Nothing out of the ordinary. To get to that it is pretty much remove plastics and exhaust. You can get a service manual on tradebit (PDF download) for less than $10.

good info, thanks! :thumbsup:

The hardest part is removing the connectors from the ECM which is attached to the air box. Not a whole lot of room to work with your finger tips. Putting it back on is more difficult than taking it off because of that connector. A little of patience goes a long ways there. I leave the airbox attached to the sub frame. All but the bottom bolts out of the sub frame. After disconnecting everything including loosening the clamp on the throttle housing, I just use the sub frame pivoting on the bottom bolts to pull it off the throttle housing. Reverse to put it back on.

3 minutes ago, GoneDirtBikeN said:

The hardest part is removing the connectors from the ECM which is attached to the air box. Not a whole lot of room to work with your finger tips. Putting it back on is more difficult than taking it off because of that connector. A little of patience goes a long ways there. I leave the airbox attached to the sub frame. All but the bottom bolts out of the sub frame. After disconnecting everything including loosening the clamp on the throttle housing, I just use the sub frame pivoting on the bottom bolts to pull it off the throttle housing. Reverse to put it back on.

that's the kinda stuff that had me wondering if removing the swingarm might actually be easier :confused: At least I've been down that road before and know I won't screw anything up, lol!

I've always had good luck removing the rear part of exhaust and then taking out all 4 subframe bolts and then push the subframe out of the way, and pull the shock out the right side of the bike. Then you don't have to worry about putting the airboot back on. 

12 minutes ago, tvalliere220 said:

I've always had good luck removing the rear part of exhaust and then taking out all 4 subframe bolts and then push the subframe out of the way, and pull the shock out the right side of the bike. Then you don't have to worry about putting the airboot back on. 

I like the idea of not having to disconnect the airboot and electrical stuff, but can you actually move the subframe very much with them still connected? have to give it a try I guess, thanks!

I too removed the bolts from the ECM and seem to remember putting them back in place was a bit of a PITA too. Just got down to removing the connectors, loosen the clamp on the intake and the whole subframe/airbox pulls out pretty easy. Getting to all the other bolts and etc just seems easier with the subframe removed.

I just remove the exhaust, loosen the subframe bolts, remove the right side sub frame bolts and leave the left side it but have the really loose. Remove the upper and lower shock bolts then lightly push the subframe to the left side of the bike and bring the shock up and out of the right side between the frame and subframe. Keeps you from removing the airboot which is a pain if you dont have a 2' long screw driver to get to the clamp. Takes about 5-10 minutes to pull it this way. 

Old thread, but there was a Ken Roczen video and in the background it showed how HRC removed the shock.  Remove both side panels, remove right side muffler and loosen left muffler, unbolt the ECU box (4-8mm bolts), disconnect the smaller connector, move the ECU box out of the way, remove the lower subframe bolts, loosen the top bolts and lift subframe straight up, remove shock out of the rear.  It took me about 5 mins to get the shock out and I didn't have to mess with the air boot connection.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cbusby said:

Old thread, but there was a Ken Roczen video and in the background it showed how HRC removed the shock.  Remove both side panels, remove right side muffler and loosen left muffler, unbolt the ECU box (4-8mm bolts), disconnect the smaller connector, move the ECU box out of the way, remove the lower subframe bolts, loosen the top bolts and lift subframe straight up, remove shock out of the rear.  It took me about 5 mins to get the shock out and I didn't have to mess with the air boot connection.  

got a link for the video? wouldn't mind taking a look...