2000 yz250 plastics conversion

So I bought a yz250 (2000 model) and have seen people convert the bike to 2015+ plastics with updated shrouds and rear plates n fender. 
However I am aware the restyle kit does not bolt right up to my bike and is made for 2002+. I've watched videos saying you have to fab your own mounts and buy a 2002+ subframe to make the rear plastics work. How hard is this?

IMG_6648.JPG

Like you said, the "restyle" kit will only fit the 2002 & up YZs, though the front fender will bolt on, and the front number plate can be adapted to fit.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/815538-2006-2008-front-number-plate-on-2000-2005-yz250-how-to-post-with-pics/?hl=+2000 +plastic

This details the fuel tank swap to the 2002 & up design;

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/899981-96-01-yz-to-modern-02-gas-tank-conversion/?p=9440830&hl=tank&fromsearch=1#entry9440830

This is a complete conversion to the later-styled bodywork;

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1167731-96-yz250-to-04-conversion-complete/

The thread "2001 YZ250 makeover" by ThumperTDC has a step-by-step subframe conversion, but I think most of the pictures 'fell off' of the thread.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/662116-2001-yz250-makeover/?hl=%2B2001+%2Byz250+%2Bmakeover

Good luck, and keep us updated with what you do.

• Like 2

Keep searching this forum as there are threads on it. You have to cut the lower tabs and reweld on frame for the rear sub frame mounts. Make brackets for the 02 fuel cell and radiators. Lots, and lots, of work.

I typed this about an hour ago and never pushed submit.

@Captdan has always had the threads at his fingertips. (you are the bomb).

• Like 1

2000 looks good with just a late model front fender, number plate and lightspeed fork guards. 00 yz250 ive just finished building 20170826_110419.thumb.jpg.3629c512510b27e5860316cea328ef94.jpg

The thing i dislike the most though is probably the airbox is pretty ugly compared to the 02 onwards 

• Like 2

^ ^ ^ This.

Many agree that the 1996 - 2001 bodywork is a handsome, classic design. A few modest updates (as Wilksy mentioned) and fresh graphics will keep it turning heads. :thumbsup:

• Like 3

The only real turn off for me pre-2002 is the kick starter . I absolutely can't stand them . I can't start them with out hurting my self . Maybe I've just not had too .  I love the looks of the 96-01 number plates ! But , do like any of the 02-17 Shrouds better ! 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Rosehill Ryder said:

The only real turn off for me pre-2002 is the kick starter . I absolutely can't stand them . I can't start them with out hurting my self . Maybe I've just not had too .  I love the looks of the 96-01 number plates ! But , do like any of the 02-17 Shrouds better ! 

Then put the 400/426 on it. 

IMG_6553.thumb.JPG.6c4370c5713178a5902f0fb9cdbd63d2.JPG

This is my 04, with 99-01 kick shaft and case cover, and a 426 kick start. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, P84ONE said:

Then put the 400/426 on it. 

IMG_6553.thumb.JPG.6c4370c5713178a5902f0fb9cdbd63d2.JPG

This is my 04, with 99-01 kick shaft and case cover, and a 426 kick start. :thumbsup:

Is't the shaft larger on those also ? Nice ! 

5 minutes ago, Rosehill Ryder said:

Is't the shaft larger on those also ? Nice ! 

Yep, this is a YZ 99-01 shaft at 12mm, and the 426 kicker is direct fit. Fits right up into the fuel tank pocket like the stock one on 02 up. Had to file a tiny bit off. Whe it is in closed position, it hits the bolt hole on the clutch cover, so in order to have no rattle, just file a little off and bam.

Got it from Chevy_97, but he has been MIA for a while.

It also gets your boot about 3" out and away from the foot rest. 

Edited by P84ONE

1 hour ago, P84ONE said:

Yep, this is a YZ 99-01 shaft at 12mm, and the 426 kicker is direct fit. Fits right up into the fuel tank pocket like the stock one on 02 up. Had to file a tiny bit off. Whe it is in closed position, it hits the bolt hole on the clutch cover, so in order to have no rattle, just file a little off and bam.

Got it from Chevy_97, but he has been MIA for a while.

It also gets your boot about 3" out and away from the foot rest. 

I believe I got a fuel tank from him . We both work for basically the same company in different states . He could have been inundated with moocho overtime . I always try to keep in the know just in-case an opportunity comes up . And the stock style always put my foot/angle right into the foot-peg . My old shop I would avoid them like the plague , kinda like being the guy to have to start an OPEN bike (420 + 2 stroke ) . With tennis shoes . OUCH !

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Rosehill Ryder said:

I believe I got a fuel tank from him . We both work for basically the same company in different states . He could have been inundated with moocho overtime . I always try to keep in the know just in-case an opportunity comes up . And the stock style always put my foot/angle right into the foot-peg . My old shop I would avoid them like the plague , kinda like being the guy to have to start an OPEN bike (420 + 2 stroke ) . With tennis shoes . OUCH !

Well it was the idea, not the product. But all good brother. 

NEVER!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tactician said:

My 2001 with a few updates.IMG_20140517_164034_743.jpg.e96408b7f6d699e9c40c3cc15a47cc81.jpgIMG_20140517_164103_316.jpg.e7fbc2459104de6e162b1fbb6b0a35c6.jpg

Looks better than the silly restyle kits i think anyway.  Originalfront fender and be sweet ☺ 

• Like 2

The restyle kit really isn’t worth it, for the money and time you spend on that you could be doing something useful like replacing a top end or freshening up the suspension.

I really don’t think they even look so great on the steel frame bikes anyways. It’s like buying a 69 mustang and putting a new style body kit on it IMO

5 minutes ago, Haney126 said:

The restyle kit really isn’t worth it, for the money and time you spend on that you could be doing something useful like replacing a top end or freshening up the suspension.

I really don’t think they even look so great on the steel frame bikes anyways. It’s like buying a 69 mustang and putting a new style body kit on it IMO

I agree. Pulled 2 holeshots on this old girl sunday and almost holeshot in other class . Went 1-3 in 40B first race of year out of shape lol. Was nys championships 

20180916_172543.jpg

Edited by Motox367
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Motox367 said:

I agree. Pulled 2 holeshots on this old girl sunday and almost holeshot in other class . Went 1-3 in 40B first race of year out of shape lol. Was nys championships 

Way to represent old man   !!  :applause: 

😉

[edit]

Oops,  got so involved in cheerleading I forgot to comment on the thread 😛 

I just sold my 99, but I liked that body style, classic moto look...although there are no upgrade options, a new set from PolisportAcerbis, etc and a Factory fx graphics kit and that baby will look really sweet. 

On the other hand,  2002-14 is just :facepalm:  

the front fender and  side number panels are the pits ....I'd fire the design engineer that  came up with that  look! 

"seriously?,  that's the best you got? ...pack your desk and get out, NOW!"    lol 

Edited by ss-racing
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, ss-racing said:

😉

Hey it was my first +40 race lol but ya liking the 04 i think more than aluminum ones i had. Just front brake not as good but good enough helps me slam the corner ruts sometimes 😂 should've only rode 1 class tho i ended up motos 2 and 5 pretty much back to back im in no shape for that not racing at that pace. To many set backs this season hopefully next can make comeback.  My 3rd race since '14 and it showed lol . Thanks tho think might give another go this sunday 👍👍 ive honestly never raced just one class since a teen starting out . But maybe this weekend.  OP sry but bike has old style plastics and a steel frame 😁

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ss-racing said:

😉

Oh and beat mostly 450s 4th gear start i got her running strong. Old national track .pic is 250 C few kids i do bike work for in there 😊

20180916_160328.jpg

Edited by Motox367
  • Like 1

I enjoy how even when this person as well as I would prefer the new plastics, it turned into a bunch of old men reflecting on the glory days that were only 18 years ago trying to convince us to keep the old plastics. *I dont mean to offend*

• Like 1