Oil change intervals

Trail riding I have 3 hrs on current oil change that was one ride. Iuse mtorex 10w50 can l go longer?

Yes I go 5 hours and I rev hard on Mx track

you can't argue with stupid or Yamaha owners

what's with this 3-hour interval oil change that just sounds crazy to me I know it's a single-cylinder and only holds 1.27 quarts but three hours seems a little extreme

• Like 2

I would not be comfortable going to 10 hours on my 250. It is coming out pretty dark at 5.  I can live with that though.  Are you guys using the "recommended" Motorex or are you using something else?

Rotella 15/40

I am not sure I had such good luck with rotella in my honda, only got about 125 hours on a crank and 50 on pistons. In my Yamaha I've used amsoil at 6 hour intervals (metric 10w-40) and at 86 hours it hasn't smoked or lost oil or even had 1 speck of metal on the filter.... was it because crf450s don't wear as well as yz450s or is it the oil?

7 minutes ago, Monk said:

Rotella 15/40

Just poured some in... I was using T6. I used T4 for break-in but want to see how it makes the clutch feel. Plus then I can cheaply change more often and get the crap from the clutch out of the oil. MX only but novice level. 

~5 hour interval.

10 minutes ago, hondaman331 said:

I am not sure I had such good luck with rotella in my honda, only got about 125 hours on a crank and 50 on pistons. In my Yamaha I've used amsoil at 6 hour intervals (metric 10w-40) and at 86 hours it hasn't smoked or lost oil or even had 1 speck of metal on the filter.... was it because crf450s don't wear as well as yz450s or is it the oil?

No idea. I just use Rotella in everything and have never had a problem.. 

5 minutes ago, hondaman331 said:

I put 160 hours on my 2015 CRF250R. I was doing top ends every 50 hours but I really could have gone longer. Valves are still within tolerance and crank felt decent last top end. I easily could have gone longer on the top ends.

It has had a constant diet of T4 (15w40) and T6 (5w40). Never any signs of any metal during oil change from either side. Always changed the oil at 5 hours or less.

• Like 1

I put 160 hours on my 2015 CRF250R. I was doing top ends every 50 hours but I really could have gone longer. Valves are still within tolerance and crank felt decent last top end. I easily could have gone longer on the top ends.

It has had a constant diet of T4 (15w40) and T6 (5w40). Never any signs of any metal during oil change from either side. Always changed the oil at 5 hours or less.

I had a 2008 crf450r, never got more then 50 hours on top ends or 125 hours on crank before they were past limit. Always rotella t 15-40 in both sides. Valves stayed good for 200+ hours.... would just smoke a bit on start up or consume a bit of oil when it needed rings, crank would be left alone until I saw gold.

Sent from my SM-N920V using ThumperTalk mobile app

I was just reading my manual and it says when changing oil after pulling old filter I should turn bike on side and fill oil filter housing 1/3 with oil and dump oil on filter before install I have not done this the 2 times i have changed my oil is that bad should I start doing that?

5 hour interval oil changes with Rotella T6 and new oil filter every other oil change, I do pull the 2 screens every oil change and look for debris. Zero debris or metal filings so far.

I was just reading my manual and it says when changing oil after pulling old filter I should turn bike on side and fill oil filter housing 1/3 with oil and dump oil on filter before install I have not done this the 2 times i have changed my oil is that bad should I start doing that?

No you don't need to do this but it's not a bad idea. On my 15 250sxf I just covered it with oil and stuck it in. Now I have a 17 250sxf and I tip it on the side and fill the oil. I recommend Maxima 10w50 I would not use Rotella.

Sent from my SM-G930T using ThumperTalk mobile app

You do need to , to ensure the bottom end doesn't starve of oil

you can't argue with stupid or Yamaha owners