85 Xt600 cold start issues

I purchased an xt600 earlier this year for about $700, I've only taken it out two times so far because it's getting discouraging trying to get this bike started i just purchased a clymer service manual last friday and purchased a carb rebuild kit and tackled the rebuild over the weekend, The air/fuel screw was out 6 turns I believe, I put it back to 2.5 turns out as that's factory and the gas in the carb was orange I have a feeling it's coming from the tank so another job will be trying to clean the tank of it's rust. I can't seem to find a fuel filter that will fit as it's such a tight area around the petcock. It takes a lot of kicks to get the bike started and I have to either keep on the throttle or choke. 
However if I ride the bike for a bit after I warm it up I am able to start the bike and it will idle no problem. I am going to work on the valves and the auto decompression cable within spec once the manual arrives in the mail. But I am curious if this would cause the bike to be hard to start with those two not within spec.

I have already replaced the spark plug, oil filter and new oil and now the carb basic rebuild kit.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated because I want to ride my bike more often without the trouble.

Before you get into anything with the carb,XT600s from that period had a lot of stator failures. First symptom of failure is hard cold starting.

11 hours ago, nsman said:

Before you get into anything with the carb,XT600s from that period had a lot of stator failures. First symptom of failure is hard cold starting.

I just tried quickly searching eBay there are none for my bike yikes, are there any that I can use from another bike or..?

Edited by x0swifty0x

31 minutes ago, x0swifty0x said:

I just tried quickly searching eBay there are none for my bike yikes, are there any that I can use from another bike or..?

If it is a stator problem contact Ricky Stator or Regulator Rectifier.com they can custom make one. 

1 hour ago, GreenMT_Rider said:

If it is a stator problem contact Ricky Stator or Regulator Rectifier.com they can custom make one. 

I looked on regulator rectifier it can be rebuilt at $199 USD I'm Canadian, so add on the extra shipping costs and it gets a bit pricey, I have a # on a guy who has two xt600 near by for parts, I'll try that first I was just curious if i was able to maybe splice one in from another bike or if there was another bike that was a direct fit, or if one from an 1990 would work?

Before you replace it do a check to verify that it has failed or is about to fail. The procedure is in the manual.If you can not do that have a shop do it for you.

AFAIK there is only two places that rewind stators.

Custom Rewinds in Birmingham Alabama, does almost all the rewinds for everyone Ricks ..etc ,,,everyone that advertises that they rewind stators is just a sub contractor for Custom rewinds.

and Rexs speedshop in GB.

Sorry for the double post, I completed a few things on Thursday night, I added an inline fuel filter, cleaned the petcock I thought there was a filter in it but there wasn't so I cleaned it with compressed air. I pulled the plug and tested for spark there is a lot of spark. But I am curious if that would be any indication if the stator is any good, or would I have to check for continuity with a multimeter?