Scrambles bike for shorty

I'm wanting to get back in the game....

I raced ATV's for almost 10 years harescrambling, and won a class B state championship, but then work got in the way and I lost the drive.  Now the kid is ready to upgrade to a 65 class bike and I would like to take him hare scrambling.  The bike numbers are way better in my district so I thought I should get one too, and we can go have some fun next summer.  I have not ridden a dirt bike while attempting to go fast since I was about 17... I'm forty now.  I'm also short, think 5'-7", and about 165lbs, but that would go down to about 155 once I get back to the gym before racing starts.  I refuse to be embarassed, but I will probably be humbled.

I have had an '86 yz80, '87 kx125, '86 250r, '00 400ex, and my old race quad which I still have is an '06 yfz450.

I am familiar with the 450 class power, but the bikes are lighter and I don't know if I'll be able to touch the ground, and the power to weight ratio is better.

I got a real chubby for a 2013 crf450x for sale locally, but please show me the light and the way!

thanks,

Chknhwk

All the full sized bikes are going to be pretty tall.  I'm 5'7"ish and ride a KTM XCF-W which is one of the tallest bikes due to the linkless rear suspension.  I can only tip toe it on both sides or get one foot down on one side while keeping the other foot up on the peg.  It took a little getting used to but I'm pretty comfortable with it now.  

Beta makes a bike called the X-trainer that's a detuned 300 2-stroke in a chassis that is probably 4/5ths a full sized bike so it has a reasonably low seat height.  Two guys in my trials club just bought them specifically for running enduros here in Michigan.

A modern 450 bike is a handful and in Michigan single track, probably at disadvantage over a 4 stroke 250 or 2 stroke 200-300 enduro  bike.  I'd first decide if you are going to go with a 4 stroke or a 2 stroke.  There are a bunch of good options out there such as the Yamaha YZ250X, YZ250FX or the KTM 250/300 XC-W, 250/300 XC, 250 XC-F or 350 XC-F (or any of the Husky versions or the KTM bikes).

Doc

Edited by Doc_d

I see a lot of KTM's, but the newer ones are out of my price range.

Thoughts on a '14 xcf350?  It's on the 250 chassis, correct?

I'm leaning towards a thumper, I haven't ridden a 2 stroke in 20 years and the motor maintenance doesn't excite me at all.

Edited by TheChknHwk

35 minutes ago, TheChknHwk said:

I see a lot of KTM's, but the newer ones are out of my price range.

Thoughts on a '14 xcf350?  It's on the 250 chassis, correct?

I'm leaning towards a thumper, I haven't ridden a 2 stroke in 20 years and the motor maintenance doesn't excite me at all.

Motor maintenance on a 2st? On a 250 -300 ktm 125-200 hours on a top end 3-500+ on the bottom end.  Also significantly less expensive than a 4st.

As for a 350 same size as the 250 and 450.  I wouldn't touch a 14 ktm xcf if the forks were stock . The first year of the 4cs were horrible. 

6 hours ago, Doc_d said:

Beta makes a bike called the X-trainer that's a detuned 300 2-stroke in a chassis that is probably 4/5ths a full sized bike so it has a reasonably low seat height.  Two guys in my trials club just bought them specifically for running enduros here in Michigan.

Doc

That's very intriguing... how detuned?  I like the 4/5 chassis, but why detune the bike.  Those guys should probably let me take them for a spin. ?

7 hours ago, TheChknHwk said:

That's very intriguing... how detuned?  I like the 4/5 chassis, but why detune the bike.  Those guys should probably let me take them for a spin. ?

Like a KTM, it has a adjustable power valve. I have one and it's a fine bike, starting to ride it more than my 450R.  It's got torque for day's, and with a couple suspension upgrades, is an excellent enduro bike. 

10 hours ago, TheChknHwk said:

I've not ridden one yet.  One of the guys in my club that bought one lives close by.  He wants to ride my 350 XCF-W so hopefully I'll have a chance to swap bikes with him for a bit.  

The motor is the same motor that's in their full sized Enduro bikes.  My understanding is that it's just has different power valve settings, pipe, etc..  Look at a dyno comparison the difference is all on the top-end.   I'm guessing if you got one and wanted more power you could probably get it with a pipe and power valve adjustments (or maybe parts from the full sized bike).  Perhaps drumiv or someone else who owns one can comment.

Here's a a dyno comparison between their standard enduro bike and the X-trainer. 

beta.jpg

Edited by Doc_d

Our bike came with the power valve turned all the way in, so no hit. Iiuc, there is a spacer that can be removed from the pv that makes it the same as the race bikes. Have also heard that some of the race guys prefer the XT's exhaust because of the impressive low end torque. The map switch is also effective. The biggest difference is the suspension and seat height. Bottom line I think is since the motor is based on the race bike, you can make it race worthy. Personally, and I'm NOT a racer, I love the motor how it is. I can ride this bike almost like my 450R woods bike; just stick it in 3rd., and lug it around.

• Like 1

Just now, Scottwr12345 said:

If your budget it limitless get a 2017 te 300 or 250, or a 2018 yz250x. Nothing campares to thise 2 bikes for off road riding right now.

There is a '17 yzf250x for sale locally (6800), but I think you're talking 2 smoker, and I definitely have a budget.  I'd like to stay around 5k.

• 8 months later...
13 hours ago, TheChknHwk said:

I did it about a month ago, now gotta get it lowered a bit.

IMG_20180419_160523.jpg

Nice bike!  I think the FX is the best competition to the Euros currently.  Have you ridden it?  What do you think?

Before lowering it, I'd highly recommend putting 10 hours of easy trails on it.  I'm about 5'7" and when I bought my KTM (which is taller than your Yami), I thought there was no way I was going to be able to ride it.  After a few rides, I got used to it and now it's no problem whatsoever.  I'm glad I didn't rush into the expense and performance compromises of lowering it.

Doc

• Like 2