Pressure in Cooling System from cylinder gasket -Beta 300rr/2017

Hi ,

I`ve got a 300rr/2017 Beta and it seems that a lot of pressure builds in the cooling system .

I have a radiator fan but when riding technical slow stuff the cooling system runs very very hot(or pressure in the system ) and coolant is thrown out .Same track with kato or husky does not run this hot .

I`ve read that changing the head gasket(with Ktm gasket) will fix the problem and the high pressure problem will be gone.It is hard to change it ?

PS: Does anybody has this https://slavensracing.com/shop/coolant-recovery-tank-by-motion-pro/ mounted ?It will recover the coolant ?

Update : found out the Ktm O-rings codes :0770105020   and 0770078020.

It took me about 20 minutes to change my O-Rings.

Sent from my XT1254 using ThumperTalk mobile app

Mine wasn't my O-rings. Mine was the thermostat. I put new O-rings in anyway, and deleted the thermostat.

7 minutes ago, Goatse said:

Mine wasn't my O-rings. Mine was the thermostat. I put new O-rings in anyway, and deleted the thermostat.

Did your bike had high  pressure in the system or just ran hot ? Because i left the thermostat and fitted on/off switch .I`m asking because i don`t know if to delete the thermostat or leave it .

Edited by makavellu

Recently picked up a 300 and 250 re.  Also had pressure build up.  But I wasn't sold on the idea that the head o-rings were bad.  What I found, or I should say what I did was drained the stock coolant and put in my normal coolant I use.  Once I thought I had the system filled, I forced in more coolant with the bleed bolt removed on the right side radiator.  I got a ton of air out even after I thought I had it filled/bled.  Haven't had an issue since.

Just now, moto367 said:

Recently picked up a 300 and 250 re.  Also had pressure build up.  But I wasn't sold on the idea that the head o-rings were bad.  What I found, or I should say what I did was drained the stock coolant and put in my normal coolant I use.  Once I thought I had the system filled, I forced in more coolant with the bleed bolt removed on the right side radiator.  I got a ton of air out even after I thought I had it filled/bled.  Haven't had an issue since.

I will try this as well after o-rings change .

Did your bike had high  pressure in the system or just ran hot ? Because i left the thermostat and fitted on/off switch .I`m asking because i don`t know if to delete the thermostat or leave it .

High pressure and would leak/lose coolant after a ride.

I've never had a thermostat on a dirtbike and I ride in the winter as well. So it was an easy choice to me. There's thermostat delete kits on eBay for $85 USD, so it's not that expensive, and they look trick too. 20170815_170416.jpg

Same exact issue with my 17" 250RR.. The rads would pressurize and stay that way for days after a ride.  I would pull the cap and air and coolant would splash out.  Changed the head o-rings and the problem never returned.  I actually posted a thread and pictures on this a while back.  

Had same issue,o ring change and no further problems

Those that have changed the o-rings, was there any visible evidence the o-ring was bad?  After changing the o-ring you had to fill and re-bleed the coolant system correct?  After several rides I still have not had any pressure build up or coolant loss.  But I'm keeping an eye on this subject

the std defacto question in all these cooling threads:  you not FILLING the radiator are you ?

Those that have changed the o-rings, was there any visible evidence the o-ring was bad?  After changing the o-ring you had to fill and re-bleed the coolant system correct?  After several rides I still have not had any pressure build up or coolant loss.  But I'm keeping an eye on this subject

There seemed to be one spot that potentially was not holding a seal on my bike. It only had 10 hours on it though, so not really enough time to cause too much indication.

My coolant still (appeared to) leak after changing the o-rings, so the thermostat came out.

On mine you could see visible coolant leaking past the inner ring

Mine is at the service for o-ring change and i`ve installed a Pro Motion recovery tank .

@moto367 After a ride , the next day see if you high pressure in the radiator .

@Goatse Do you had high pressure in the cooling system or just coolant leak ? I`m thinking removing the thermostat .

I deleted thermostat as well with the hose kit. no issues runs nice and cool. Also have the rad cap from rocky mountain with thermometer in it, now I know when it's up to temp to ride or if getting warm, but haven't had that happen.

Hard to believe you would think there was any kind of Oring leak if you have pressure after a day of sitting.

Mine is at the service for o-ring change and i`ve installed a Pro Motion recovery tank .
[mention=67353]moto367[/mention] After a ride , the next day see if you high pressure in the radiator .
[mention=378166]Goatse[/mention] Do you had high pressure in the cooling system or just coolant leak ? I`m thinking removing the thermostat .

Leaking coolant, and a rad cap that hissed when opened the day after a ride.

From my what I know, I've seen that deleting the thermostat is NOT a good idea. There's a reason it's there, to allow coolant to cool in the radiator before it goes back to your engine. If you delete it your coolant will have maximum flow, which sounds good at first, but if you think about it, it's not. Your coolant will spend less time cooling in the radiator and be out back in the engine passages. It will get hot eventually, it's not a matter of if but when. If you think it's not working, just replace it. If you feel your bike is running too hot, or you don't like the temp it's set up at, you can get a cooler thermostat.

Just now, ASP1227 said:

From my what I know, I've seen that deleting the thermostat is NOT a good idea. There's a reason it's there, to allow coolant to cool in the radiator before it goes back to your engine. If you delete it your coolant will have maximum flow, which sounds good at first, but if you think about it, it's not. Your coolant will spend less time cooling in the radiator and be out back in the engine passages. It will get hot eventually, it's not a matter of if but when. If you think it's not working, just replace it. If you feel your bike is running too hot, or you don't like the temp it's set up at, you can get a cooler thermostat.

My thermostat is just for switching On/Off the Fan , I don`t think that somebody has the thermostat that you are talking .It is not the same thermostat used on road moto and cars.