Small car for hauling dirt bike?

Currently have a chevy Silverado and the payments and gas each month are a lot.  My dad just picked up a clean clean corolla for $900 bucks, which he will sell me.  Between payments gas and insurance I would save like $500 a month by having the corolla instead of the truck.  So I've been thinking of making the swap, putting a hitch on the corolla and buying a small trailer to tow the bike.  Sure it will look goofy and be a bit more of a hassle to bring the bike around, but $500 a month extra in my pocket sounds pretty nice...  anyone out there haul a bike with a little car like a corolla?  Regret not having a truck?  

• Like 1

Two different things. I hauled everything with my 1990 Jetta for a couple years, including a 2000 pound boat. Worked perfectly well. Missed the truck just because of how high you sit. You can haul a lot of stuff in a little trailer. It's not as convenient as a truck, but to save $500 a month at your age I would totally do it.

• Like 2

Any hills encountered on your route, how much extra gear & tools do you also haul etc.

You'll find most small cars can pull a conservatively sized trailer but, THE most important consideration is sufficient braking power.

This might be a thread of interest: 

At the track I've seen everything from a Toyota Echo to fancy campers & huge 'brodozers' tow various sizes of dirt bike trailers.

Edited by mlatour

I've been hauling my bikes around with a civic for years, I now have a accord but the civics towed the bike fine.

I copied a another guys trailer that I seen at a race and put a wheel chock on the tongue of a short trailer to have a lighter trailer, I also ditched the tailgate and made a small ramp that I toss in the trunk when not using, this setup is pretty light and easy on the car.

I cant afford to put gas in a truck with the amount I drive, so I don't miss having a truck, I was broke and couldn't afford bikes when I did have one lol. 

You should see the stuff that gets pulled with small cars in Europe, you will be just fine. I used my Jetta and a 4×8 trailer just because it was economical. Worked great too... I usually carry way more than needed and there were no issues.

• Like 1

I've got a Tacoma and 6x12 trailer works fine but I much prefer my Subaru Outback and my home built 3' x 8' trailer. maneuverability  comfort (Tacoma rides a bit rough) and it's about 50% better on fuel .  As well the Subaru being AWD it's excellent going to ice races. Feels more stable than the Taco on slick roads .    

IMG_6815.JPG

IMG_6820.JPG

IMG_6888.JPG

Since this photo I've got a drop hitch to level the trailer out a bit and get it down more out of the wind .

IMG_6891.JPG

I've got better fenders on it now.

IMG_6883.JPG

Fits one bike perfectly . it goes in backwards two ties to the front axle to hold the bike back then two ties to pull the bars down like normal . 

IMG_6895.JPG

it started out as this .

IMG_6037.JPG

Then progressed to this 

IMG_6078.JPG

IMG_6088.JPG

and ended like this 

IMG_6797.JPG

Edited by BruceD_500
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, DEMI said:

You should see the stuff that gets pulled with small cars in Europe, you will be just fine. I used my Jetta and a 4×8 trailer just because it was economical. Worked great too... I usually carry way more than needed and there were no issues.

Ya I dated an English girl for years, I was shocked to see tiny cars pulling campers and 2 strokes on the street 😎  Thanks for all the replies guys, I think I'm gonna swap to the small car.  Love my truck, but I think I'll love the extra money more 

• Like 2