Crf250r

So I ordered new valves for my crf..my question is will I have to shim it with the new valves?

Thanks

crf250r..just gonna send it

shim kit is great to have.. There's a big chance you will need to use different size shims, you might get lucky and be in spec with the current shims, if it's never been reshimmed. 

• Like 1

I've rebuilt the whole engine myself but have never messed with the valves I ordered new valves an idk if it has been shimmed by previous owner...it does have shims inside the buckets but I'm wondering will I even need those for the new shims

I meant new valves not new shims my bad

8 minutes ago, tom02cr250 said:

shim kit is great to have.. There's a big chance you will need to use different size shims, you might get lucky and be in spec with the current shims, if it's never been reshimmed. 

yep buy a shim kit - more than likely you need to shim it

you put it back together/bolt down the cam correctly, check clearance with feeler gauges, take back apart and use a caliper on the current shim to get it's thickness and figure out what size shim you need to get the clearance in spec. You need to watch some videos or read articles on all this. 

• Like 1

My uncle's an cousins work at a machine shop I'll probably see if there not busy an see if they'll show me I'm currently watching videos at the moment on it an everything looks simple besides the shimming

crf250r..just gonna send it

You typically cannot just install new valves into a used head and get proper valve sealing, you should have the valve seats touched up to make the perfectly round so they mate properly to your new valves. Not expensive, but needs to be done to ensure longevity of your new valves.

I don't plan to just install I have the valves in the head without touching up the seats but im possibly bout to buy a new head so might just set my oem head in the parts pile