Sign in to follow this  

Yet more old, slow guy on 06 125

Ok, got the right springs and even though the sag didn't seem to work out (I must have had some binding somewhere and so the spring way too loose), a stock size fuel tank, OEM exhaust, pretty much oem gearing, suspension setting all at about mid point and the forks 5mm down (then set back to stock after a ride). I think I need to work on the sag more which means disassembling the shock linkage and hopefully getting it to move better. 

At this point it felt better, but the the throttle was still pretty touchy so I gave it more free play and that helped. I was also trying one of the grippier seats and I really didn't like it since I was harder to slide the bike under me going around turns (basically sticking to the seat didn't feel right).  

I killed the bike going around a few corners while I was trying to use the back brake more. Turns out the oem pipe doesn't have the low end grunt the sts pipe did, but it still has a pretty good higher rpm hit that almost threw me off just goofing around (unintended wheelie heading for a tree). However, I discovered that the clutch can legally be used for more than just taking off (I do drive a semi once in a while and we don't clutch much). Now I could brake and not kill the motor and go into the corners harder. I also decided to just run in 2nd gear which made things much smoother (until it isn't at high rpm). 

I still don't have the confidence I had on the 426, but part of that is the enormously forgiving engine characteristics and suspension that happened to work for me. Going over small bumps is feeling better, but I don't have the rear suspension working quite right to have that "I didn't know I had jumped" feeling yet. 

It will be a while before I hold the throttle open and using the clutch as the speed control, but by the end of the day cornering was feeling better and I was getting braver over the bumps. I big part of this is speed and on this tight atv width track it doesn't feel as comfortable going quick as it does on a big mx track. The goal is to have fun around the track and get over the jumps somewhat gracefully (which is a better option than hitting the start of the next bump if I don't get up enough). It's definitely take more concentration than the 4T, but I'm not willing to give up the light weight at this point. 

Pic is me and my youngest (the bed bug!) after she finished riding her pink polaris 4 wheeler around the kiddie track for 45 minutes. 

20170910_153849.jpg

Thanks, I have a 7oz FWW. Next time I ride I'll bring it along and try it back to back.  Hopefully I'll get a chance to ride soon. I'm a lot closer to a bike that fits me than I was before and it's starting to get fun. 

Keeps the revs up as mentioned. Shift a lot to keep it on the pipe. Don't be afraid to use 1st gear in super slow/tight stuff.

Edited by CZRoger