Ok so I'm trying to take the chain off of my yz426f but I can't find the clip!!!! I've literally looked at the chain three times on each side and can't find it, this will be the first time it's been taken off by me so I don't know how it was installed...any thoughts because I'm stumped

image.jpg

So if it's a rivet style, I'm assuming the only way to remove it would be to cut it or take the back wheel off?

Taking back wheel off is not going to do anything.

Just get a grinder and grind down two of the little nobs that hold one of the plates on. Then take a screwdriver and hammer and pound on the back side of the plate.

Buy a new chain with a clip.

Sent from my LG-H871 using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 3

Rivet style link. Remove rear wheel and swing arm, or press out/murder pins as instructed, and please use a new rivet link. Clip links don't play well with modern chain guides. Back in the day my clip partially "unclipped" rolling bike of my truck. My buddy lost his rolling back down a hill on the same day. Found all 3 pieces in the leaves. Invested in a decent remove and install kit, no more clips, no more worries.

Ok thanks guys, I cut the chain off because hat thing was so old and wore out it was kinking up like crazy...I realized that you couldn't get it off with just taking off the rear tire after I already took it off but no worries because I needed to anyway for cleaning

A rivet style master link is stronger than a clip style.  A big dual sport bike will most likely have a rivet style chain, while dirt bikes will have a clip to make it easy to take the chain off.  I made a video about riveting a 520 master link here: