Jump to content

Coming back after 15 years away!

Recommended Posts

Hey guys, 

 

I was hoping to get a couple of opinions from those out there. I have read many post on here but have not seen any post similar to my current situation...First and foremost....27yo, 6 foot, 180-190lbs depending on the week, lol. I used to ride a Kx65, then a CR85 until the age of about 13-15. Never formally raced, but I was pretty decent on a bike, and could do 50-60ft doubles on my 85. Sold the bike, and just now feel like I am back to a point in life where I can get back on a bike. Tried the used, fix it up route, and that didn't work out so I am going to just buy something newer. I am 100% set on getting a 2 stroke....4 stroke is to much maintenance, and a money pit. All I want to do it get back on the track...no looking to race or anything, just go have fun riding MX on the weekends...Now for the question........YZ125 or 250???? GO!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+1 on YZ250!

I bought this 2005 for $2100. Needed nothing. I have since put another $1000 in it (SSS suspension front and rear, a few other upgrades). For $3k I don't think you can get a more fun bike. Looked for about 3-4 months until I found this one.

 

Day I got her home. Super Clean.

YZ250_2005.jpg.b7fcca0b9787d1f7546b9f2827ffe696.jpg

 

Bike today.

First-Start-After-Rebuild-YZ250.jpg.4f8b7a550c4cb8356efab0b73e5eef0b.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Really? I am honestly a little surprised. Thinking about it, I feel like I am a little scared of the 250.... Do y'all not think it would be too much? 

85' doubles on a 50-60 is were it's at!

 

I was in the same situation with lots of experience young, then a longer break before getting back, I really like my 250!

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2017 at 10:59 PM, tchetek said:

85' doubles on a 50-60 is were it's at!

 

I was in the same situation with lots of experience young, then a longer break before getting back, I really like my 250!

 

 

 

Do you not feel like it is to much? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's YZ then by using your criteria for maintenance you have no other choice than the 250. FWIW, I have almost 2,500 miles on my 2017 Husqvarna 350. Other than normal chain, engine oil and air filter maintenance, I've spent zero hours on anything else. yeah, If your going to tear down the bike a 4stroke takes more time and money but the maintenance period is much longer than a 2 stroke so its kind of a wash. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MotoXImage said:

If it's YZ then by using your criteria for maintenance you have no other choice than the 250. FWIW, I have almost 2,500 miles on my 2017 Husqvarna 350. Other than normal chain, engine oil and air filter maintenance, I've spent zero hours on anything else. yeah, If your going to tear down the bike a 4stroke takes more time and money but the maintenance period is much longer than a 2 stroke so its kind of a wash. 

But if anything goes wrong on the thumper its gonna take more money to fix, and IDK if I have the expertise to tear it apart....sooooo, more money for mechanical cost....I know I could do a 2 stroke w/o a problem. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Taylor Robinson said:

But if anything goes wrong on the thumper its gonna take more money to fix, and IDK if I have the expertise to tear it apart....sooooo, more money for mechanical cost....I know I could do a 2 stroke w/o a problem. 

2 strokes are simpler, lighter, tons of fun and under racing conditions are generally less expensive to maintain. I was just pointing out that the maintenance is less frequent on a four stroke. The maintenance thing on 4 strokes gets blown out of proportion just like the pollution from 2 strokes gets blown out of proportion. A YZ will be an excellent bike. Parts are easy to find, wheelies are easier, the bikes more flickable. A 4 strokes advantage is generally traction, fuel economy per tank, no premix, rarely a fouled plug and many have ES. So yes, it's a 250 for you but if it were me, a new Husky 300 is probably the ultimate all around bike. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ahhhhhhhh Gotcha! 

7 minutes ago, MotoXImage said:

2 strokes are simpler, lighter, tons of fun and under racing conditions are generally less expensive to maintain. I was just pointing out that the maintenance is less frequent on a four stroke. The maintenance thing on 4 strokes gets blown out of proportion just like the pollution from 2 strokes gets blown out of proportion. A YZ will be an excellent bike. Parts are easy to find, wheelies are easier, the bikes more flickable. A 4 strokes advantage is generally traction, fuel economy per tank, no premix, rarely a fouled plug and many have ES. So yes, it's a 250 for you but if it were me, a new Husky 300 is probably the ultimate all around bike. 

Ahhhh gotcha, thanks for the clarification. So you say 250...like all others have said, which is a little surprising to me after being away for so long. Is this based on my size alone and that y'all don't think a 125 will carry me around at all? Last thing I want is a bad case of whiskey throttle on a 250. Does the 250 not hit as hard as the 125? I know the 125 is either all pipe or nothing. Just trying to get reasons why y'all think the 250 would be better, cause I truly do think I would be a little scared of it....at first ;) 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Taylor Robinson said:

Ahhhhhhhh Gotcha! 

 Is this based on my size alone and that y'all don't think a 125 will carry me around at all?

Last thing I want is a bad case of whiskey throttle on a 250. Does the 250 not hit as hard as the 125?

I know the 125 is either all pipe or nothing.

Just trying to get reasons why y'all think the 250 would be better, cause I truly do think I would be a little scared of it....at first ;) 

 

The 250 first for reliability, 2nd for a more managable powerband for a larger rider. Your mentioning a being a bit scared is a good thing. Better to start with a healthy respect than to disrespect it. 

Most of all, set reasonable goals for your improvement. Start with shorter rides and progess into longer ones. As your endurance improves, so will your skill. If you start on a long ride you'll probably ride tight which has an expontial affect on your strength. Whiskey throttle is more from riding out of your strenght boundaries and being tense. 

Practicing good technique, a moderate fitness program and watching some videos on riding will go a long way toward a successful return to the our awesome sport. 

Best of luck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×