Ox-Brake

Anyone local running the Ox-brake as an LHRB?  Seriously considering getting one, especially for steep downhill, but was curious as to longevity, if it gives adequate braking power, and also if it easily gets snagged?  Looks like they're located right in Lakewood, so that seems like a plus.

http://www.ox-brake.com/

• Like 1

I've had the Ox-Brake on two different KTM's for 4 years (about).  The only maintenance I've done is replacing the cable once.  No snags, broken parts or anything else.  

I have on on my Beta300RR RE, but I haven't ridden with it yet.  I won't be a problem as it's the same as the KTM units, with a few minor improvements.

Bob K

I appreciate the input.  I contacted Ox-Brake, and Chuck indicated I could just pick it up locally in Lakewood.  I'm hoping to pick one up this week and get it installed by the weekend.  Will update the thread with my results.

Been running the OX for a couple of years now. Great tool for riding I thought it would be good for bull dogging down hills, and that kind of think.

I have found I use it all the time like when in deep ruts going down hill and want to dab, priceless!! Over cook a turn and already have the right foot up just grab the Ox and get yourself on line.

I use it all the time on the trailer when I parked it facing up hill as I can just grab the OX and hold bike while I get the straps started, I'm always on the left side when loading and way easer to get to than the front brake.

Oh and my favorite techy down hills where I want my feet on the pegs just can't beat it.

I have a KTM 300 XC-W and with the KTM brakes there is plenty of power you can still lock up the rear brake if you kneed to rear wheel steer. 

I have a Velcro strap on my left handle bar to use as parking brake when needed.

I highly recommend and like said above Chuck is here in Colorado :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Great info @raymo2.0!  I picked mine up last week from Chuck.  Great time talking to him;  probably visited for about an hour.  He's in his 80s and has been riding dirt for 67 years.  Haven't had a chance to install yet, but hope to by this weekend.  Will update this thread with my results.

ox-brake.jpg

• Like 2

This has been on my list for a while.  Glad to hear it's working for you guys.  Maybe I'll get it done this winter.

In-between visits to the Critical Care Unit of the CSU Vet Hospital in FoCo for my dog, I finally got this installed between Saturday and Sunday evening.  Very straight-forward install, and great install instructions were provided.  Chuck gave me some great tips for fine-tuning the setup, so I think its dialed-in properly.  Can't wait to see how it performs on the trails.  Here are a few pics of the setup:

ox2.JPG

ox4.JPG

Confused. Where is your clutch lever in the second pic?

I should've clarified. I have a Revloc auto-clutch and the PO removed the lever altogether. This was another reason I went with the LHRB mod, though I believe quite a few use this along with their clutch lever.

I run a Rekluse as well but fully believe in the use of the clutch lever. I cover clutch most of the time just like I wasn't using a Rekluse.  Maybe from riding my trials bike not sure but most of the time I'm running Single track and run 2 gears higher so if I need to loft the front I just stab the clutch lever and up comes the front wheel. Just my way, here is my handlebar setup.

ox brake clutch lever setup .jpg

On 9/27/2017 at 0:55 PM, raymo2.0 said:

I run a Rekluse as well but fully believe in the use of the clutch lever. I cover clutch most of the time just like I wasn't using a Rekluse.  Maybe from riding my trials bike not sure but most of the time I'm running Single track and run 2 gears higher so if I need to loft the front I just stab the clutch lever and up comes the front wheel. Just my way, here is my handlebar setup.

ox brake clutch lever setup .jpg

I wish the PO hadn't removed the clutch lever for this very reason.  I can do smaller rocks and logs, but really wish I had a good way to pop the front wheel.  He gave me the original lever and the original clutch plates.  But I'll be honest, I have no clue how to go about reconnecting everything.  May be a good winter project.

JFjeld

Sorry I missed the Revloc, not real familiar with them but if I remember there isn't a manual clutch override option with them. Hopefully you can get it set up with the clutch lever I would be lost without mine. Very similar to hooking up brake lines and bleeding it, sometimes I have found it best to back-bleed the clutch IE push fluid from the bleeder valve on the slave cylinder to the master cylinder. I use two syringes one on the slave cylinder with a hose to push fluid in and one to remove the brake fluid from the master cylinder to keep from overflowing.

Good luck with it

BRAAAAAP