Buying a bike still in the crate... whats involved?

Well... its official... I'm getting a 2018 500 EXC-W  (with a 300XC-W tail lol).  Considering I need to get the suspension completely redone, gut the emissions system, put new tires and tubliss on it, and regear it.... I was thinking about saving a few bucks by just buying the bike while its still in the crate. 

That being said... whats involved with uncrating a bike and getting it initially setup/started?  Just connecting the battery an filling it with fluids?  Thoughts???

3 hours ago, mattwhidden said:
7 hours ago, Drunk tank said:
Well.... Ill just have them plug the bugger in... toss the EU tune on it before I even leave.  emoji3.png

Can't do that anymore

The tune exists... right?  So why can't it be done?  Sure it's not "legal"... just need a willing dealer and I'm in Texas.

1 hour ago, motf said:

try it first before you throw money on suspension, mine is stock and it's fantastic. I weigh 230lb BTW...

Fully geared up... I'm about 270lbs and I'm going to be running some giant loop bags on the back.  So I don't think any stock suspension is going to be able to handle that.

• Like 1

The tune exists... right?  So why can't it be done?  Sure it's not "legal"... just need a willing dealer and I'm in Texas.
I believe the ktm took that option from the dealerships, I was lucky enough to get mine done months ago. You have a couple options JD tuner (Just does fueling) or Vortex ecu (completely new ecu) people like them both it just depends how much you want to spend.

9 hours ago, stevethe said:

Ah no. My understanding is the stock ECU will run once then not restart. That is locked until the dealer hooks up his ktm computer and inputs the vin number and so forth. Then the bike will be normal. 

So the dealer really needs to set up the bike. 

If this is true about the bike needing to be hooked up to the computer, I'd guess that this is in response to EPA laws/rules.  That way, KTM can "prove" that all of the ECU's are locked down and can't be changed.  I was actually surprised that dealers were able to do this in the past on prior years...

20 minutes ago, cadman_ks said:

If this is true about the bike needing to be hooked up to the computer, I'd guess that this is in response to EPA laws/rules.  That way, KTM can "prove" that all of the ECU's are locked down and can't be changed.  I was actually surprised that dealers were able to do this in the past on prior years...

yes, this is true bike need to be hook up to the computer and then is unlocked and data of new owner is entered.

This is more for registration and theft of new bikes protection purposes then emission rules. I talked to dealer about that.

Edited by motf
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, motf said:

yes, this is true bike need to be hook up to the computer and then is unlocked and data of new owner is entered.

This is more for registration and theft of new bikes protection purposes then emission rules. I talked to dealer about that.

Makes sense.  So regardless of ECU.... issues that are easily sorted out....

About uncrating this bitch?

1 hour ago, Drunk tank said:

Makes sense.  So regardless of ECU.... issues that are easily sorted out....

About uncrating this bitch?

No big deal setting up a new bike. It's usually install the front tire and handlebars.

Put a Vortex in there and you can eliminate the locked ECU. 

However I'm not sure if ktm looks too friendly to dealers not properly registering the bike without the computer registration work.  

6 minutes ago, Drunk tank said:

Vortex sounds great on paper... but I really don't want anything with adjustability.  I was a full sealed, set it and forget it type unit... ie stock CPU.

Side note:  Hows $9400 sound for a 2017???

sounds more or less what I have paid otd and I agree stock ECU is fine, just need to uncork it.

3 hours ago, Drunk tank said:

Vortex sounds great on paper... but I really don't want anything with adjustability.  I was a full sealed, set it and forget it type unit... ie stock CPU.

The Vortex works better than on paper. You can leave all of the adjustments right out of the box. The stock ECU is very lean, especially when un corked. I've tried both even with the ERO map. 

8 minutes ago, stevethe said:

The Vortex works better than on paper. You can leave all of the adjustments right out of the box. The stock ECU is very lean, especially when un corked. I've tried both even with the ERO map

dude, are you selling vortex???   what a nonsense statement "stock ECU is very lean",  are you high?

Are you saying KTM has no idea how prepare proper ECU maps? get real.

1 minute ago, motf said:

dude, are you selling vortex???   what a nonsense statement "stock ECU is very lean",  are you high?

Are you saying KTM has no idea how prepare proper ECU maps? get real.

Hum let me see. KTM made a street legal licensed bike. I guess they must have fooled everyone on the emissions like Volkswagen did. Right?

I guess I also don't know how the bike ran before and after the Vortex. Right?

I guess I like to spend money for no reason   Right? 

Or I don't even need to know your wrong wrong wrong. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Drunk tank said:

Im the opposite , adjustability is everything, suspension ,mapping, ergonomics.  Any adjustability is nice , As long as you have a base to work off of.  Creating a new base can be a Hassle and time consuming, been there too.

• Like 1

org ecu is SUPER LEAN I was lucky to re map before ktm stopped the reprograming by the dealer. If you desmog bike and put on a freeflowing exhaust with out a remap you run the very real risk of seizing your motor. Get the bike set up by dealer than remap with JD kit or vortex after ecu unlocked by ktm. READ THIS:

http://ktmtalk.com/showthread.php?535125-12hp-Increase-2017-FE450-450EXC-with-Simple-Mods-Closed-Course-Race-Setup