Jump to content

Buying a bike still in the crate... whats involved?

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, shampoochie said:

org ecu is SUPER LEAN I was lucky to re map before ktm stopped the reprograming by the dealer. If you desmog bike and put on a freeflowing exhaust with out a remap you run the very real risk of seizing your motor. Get the bike set up by dealer than remap with JD kit or vortex after ecu unlocked by ktm. READ THIS:

 

 http://ktmtalk.com/showthread.php?535125-12hp-Increase-2017-FE450-450EXC-with-Simple-Mods-Closed-Course-Race-Setup

I'm not sure about actually seizing the motor as it probably would have lots of detonation before seizing. But like you said it doesn't help to de restrict a street bike and turn it into a race bike that already runs too lean. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, motf said:

kids, please stop spreading nonsense on this forum.

face-palm-gif.gif

 

I see you are in Poland. I'm assuming you have an Euro ECU.  Also assuming you don't have the smog crap piled all over your bike that we do.  In the US, they bastardized our ECU tunes to pass stringent EPA emissions and noise requirements.  We're simply trying to undo what our EPA has done to our bikes.  I applaud KTM for figuring out how to get these bikes into the US.  And I applaud Vortex and JD for helping us to get these running well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, markbfe501 said:

I see you are in Poland. I'm assuming you have an Euro ECU.  Also assuming you don't have the smog crap piled all over your bike that we do.  In the US, they bastardized our ECU tunes to pass stringent EPA emissions and noise requirements.  We're simply trying to undo what our EPA has done to our bikes.  I applaud KTM for figuring out how to get these bikes into the US.  And I applaud Vortex and JD for helping us to get these running well. 

 

yes, temporarily I am in Europe but don't think so EU4 and soon to be EU6 emission crap is less restrictive then in US, is it?

In Europe carburetor bikes are not allowed since many years, yet in US still they are for instance.  I just think in US there are less number of good mechanics knowing

how to prepare ktm bike for "race". Maybe I'm wrong and ktm really sells screwed up ECU to America but that would be like shooting yourself in leg. Hard to believe it.

Besides plenty of guys here reporting their ktm runs well stock so who is lying?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as set up for a crated bike... I just picked up a crated 17 sxf450. The dealer opened the crate to unlock the ecu (remind them, my dealership almost forgot!). My setup was front wheel, front fender, footpegs and handlebars. The bars came dressed except for the front brake, which is plumbed but just mot mounted. Set the suspension, gas up & go!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, motf said:

 

yes, temporarily I am in Europe but don't think so EU4 and soon to be EU6 emission crap is less restrictive then in US, is it?

In Europe carburetor bikes are not allowed since many years, yet in US still they are for instance.  I just think in US there are less number of good mechanics knowing

how to prepare ktm bike for "race". Maybe I'm wrong and ktm really sells screwed up ECU to America but that would be like shooting yourself in leg. Hard to believe it.

Besides plenty of guys here reporting their ktm runs well stock so who is lying?

I don't think it is a question of who is lying. It's just the facts. These bikes have been run on dynos and checked. It is lean with both stock ECU's. More so on the USA mapped ECU. However if it's unlocked into the euro map it can be custom mapped by a few people. 

I have ridden with the Euro ECU and a Vortex. There is a big difference. So it's very likely many people ride different stuff like fire roads and not real tough or power robbing hills. You may not feel the difference riding it on a simple trail or road and many of the people have never ridden one with the Vortex. They only know stock. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, stevethe said:

Kids alright I'll be a 60 year old kid. 

Ok you know more. 😭

I do suspect a troll poster. 

 

in that case it should be complement for you, at 60 y/o still young inside :)

and don't put that crap here about trolling because as I see it you're trolling with that vortex BS.

If you like it  good, use it but don't push it to everybody else.

Edited by motf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, motf said:

 

in that case it should be complement for you, at 60 y/o still young inside :)

and don't put that crap here about trolling because as I see it you're trolling with that vortex BS.

If you like it  good, use it but don't push it to everybody else.

Hum still trolling are ya. 

That's my opinion and that's what these threads are all about. 

Obviously you have never ridden with a Vortex. Do you even ride. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, motf said:

 

in that case it should be complement for you, at 60 y/o still young inside :)

and don't put that crap here about trolling because as I see it you're trolling with that vortex BS.

If you like it  good, use it but don't push it to everybody else.

MOTF, we simply share what we are doing to our bikes.  A forum is simply a community of people with similar interests.  We share with each other and we learn from each other.  Nobody is peddling Vortex, and no one is peddling JD tuners, or Michelin tires, or suspension setup or anything else.  We wrench on our own bikes over here.  Not everyone uses mechanics.  I've had 22 bikes in my lifetime.  Not one of my bikes has ever been to a mechanic.  I've learned a ton off of this and other forums that has let me improve the performance of my bikes.   I don't blindly follow every recommendation I see on here.  I do my own research of many of the ideas presented and I make my own informed decision.  I spend my money and time how I please.   Does it all work?  No.  Does a lot of it work, yes it does.  And I learn a lot in the process.

As I said before, I applaud the KTM engineers' being able to overcome CARB/EPA regulations and getting these bikes to us.  They would have sent us a better bike, if legally able to, but they were not legally able to.  

If you think them detuning these bikes is shooting themselves in the foot, just look at Volkswagen.  They were not able to engineer a TDI that could meet EPA/CARB standards, so they had to write a secret little program that had the emissions controls function when at the shop being inspected, but then disabled all this crap so the car would actually run decently when the customer left the shop.  Don't you think that the brilliant German engineering minds at Volkswagen would have built a car that performs and meets the emissions standards if they could have?  Instead, they are recalling thousands and thousands of cars and paying billions of dollars in fines.

Now KTM/Husky originally gave dealers a way to improve the performance of these bikes by allowing them to install the Euro tune.  Then EPA/CARB came back, threatening them with tampering, just like Volkswagen, and threatening them with huge fines if they didn't stop.  So they removed the ability of the dealer's ECU/tuning software to download the Euro tune.  Aftermarket providers do not fall under these same threats and regulations as the vehicle manufacturer, and the risk of non-compliance shifts to the end consumer.  A risk we are willing to take.

Now, I'm not sure what your motive is on this thread, but it seems all you are doing is name-calling.  Not sure where you get any benefit in that, unless it's simply to stroke your ego . . .

 

Edited by markbfe501
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2017 at 0:23 PM, stevethe said:

Hum let me see. KTM made a street legal licensed bike. I guess they must have fooled everyone on the emissions like Volkswagen did. Right?

I guess I also don't know how the bike ran before and after the Vortex. Right?

I guess I like to spend money for no reason   Right? 

Or I don't even need to know your wrong wrong wrong. 

 

Actually I read an article somewhere and the Japanese manufacturers are baffled on how KTM is getting their bikes street legal.  If they cant get a wr250F or a crf250/450x street legal, then how is KTM doing it????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, vizcarmb said:

Actually I read an article somewhere and the Japanese manufacturers are baffled on how KTM is getting their bikes street legal.  If they cant get a wr250F or a crf250/450x street legal, then how is KTM doing it????

ktm didn't miss the  payment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, vizcarmb said:

Actually I read an article somewhere and the Japanese manufacturers are baffled on how KTM is getting their bikes street legal.  If they cant get a wr250F or a crf250/450x street legal, then how is KTM doing it????

The big Japanese boys are playing with us and too busy selling boats musical instruments cars and all else. 

If they wanted we would have street legal bikes. They don't seem to have any problems with selling their racing sportbikes with 200 hp for the street. :thumbsup:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When my bike was stock, my son's stock 2015 WR450F left it in the dust.  Mine finally feels like a 500.  I guess the Japanese didn't want to sacrifice performance for ridiculous environmental compliance.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2017 at 10:35 AM, motf said:

facts? who said so?  I repeat the question,  are you selling vortex?

FACT 1: motf is a goofball of epic proportions.

FACT 2: it would only take stevethe 1.6 kilometers / 1 mile to be standing over you as you flip your bike and flop your body trying to make the first hill

FACT 3: it's just simple science.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TheW0LF said:

FACT 1: motf is a goofball of epic proportions.

FACT 2: it would only take stevethe 1.6 kilometers / 1 mile to be standing over you as you flip your bike and flop your body trying to make the first hill

FACT 3: it's just simple science.

Yeah it's too bad she lives in Poland. It's easy to crap talk when your half a world away.IMG_2363.JPG.d48af504eea8a31e37b6307da24a7f94.JPG

Remember CR500 man that could mow down anything.:lol:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wow! what kindergarten we have here....just remember punks, best enduro riders are from Poland, New Zealand and Australia.

Come over maybe you can learn something and will grow up.

Edited by motf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, motf said:

wow! what kindergarten we have here....just remember punks, best enduro riders are from Poland and Australia.

Come over maybe you can learn something and will grow up.

I think the thread was pretty civil until you started calling people liars, and accusing them of pushing bogus products.  Now calling them punks?  

And who needs to grow up?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, motf said:

wow! what kindergarten we have here....just remember punks, best enduro riders are from Poland, New Zealand and Australia.

Come over maybe you can learn something and will grow up.

4c56057e030bbb4c25f568a4d91dbb510a674a92

Edited by Twowheeladdiction
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×