Looking at older 2 strokes

I have found a few 2 strokes around my area for relatively cheap. Most of these are around $900-1500 range. I am young and relatively inexperienced when it comes to 2 strokes. My question is, is it worth it to even consider buying any 2 stroke from the early 2000's or even a 1999? What could be something I could look for on these bikes that would help to know what kind of condition they are in not just on the outside, but also internally? This is the first time I have looked into buying a 2 stroke but I have read some threads about buying used ones. Any tips would be appreciated.

That is the only option in your price range, may find a decent bike or something that is a money pit. Basically looking at YZs and CRs... beware that many think their old 2 stroke is made of gold and priced accordingly. Deals are out there, be patient.

That is the only option in your price range, may find a decent bike or something that is a money pit. Basically looking at YZs and CRs... beware that many think their old 2 stroke is made of gold and priced accordingly. Deals are out there, be patient.

You said to look at yz' and cr's. So if I found a 1999 kx125 today that looks clean for $1000 is that not a good idea? I understand that older bikes mean more repairs. I just want a 2 stroke I can learn on and I want to learn how to rebuild a top end on one. I never attempted a top end rebuild on my 4 strokes, I heard it was a lot more complicated. The picture of the bike is below

IMG_1780.jpg
IMG_1782.jpg

If you go to look at any bike ask when they were last rebuilt or had work done and try a compression test if the owner let's you and check air filter

8 hours ago, Chopmaster13 said:

You said to look at yz' and cr's. So if I found a 1999 kx125 today that looks clean for $1000 is that not a good idea? I understand that older bikes mean more repairs. I just want a 2 stroke I can learn on and I want to learn how to rebuild a top end on one. I never attempted a top end rebuild on my 4 strokes, I heard it was a lot more complicated. The picture of the bike is below

IMG_1780.jpg
IMG_1782.jpg

Look it over good, but seems ok for 1k, but being this time of year, should be able to get the seller to go lower. 

8 hours ago, Chopmaster13 said:

IMG_1780.jpg
IMG_1782.jpg

If those pics are in fact the bike you're looking at, it's an 03+, those aren't 99-02 plastics, frame doesn't look right either.  I had several 99-02's, good bikes.  03 was a one off year, they changed again in 04, it's been out there that there were some issues with the 03, can't remember exactly what they were.  

If those pics are in fact the bike you're looking at, it's an 03+, those aren't 99-02 plastics, frame doesn't look right either.  I had several 99-02's, good bikes.  03 was a one off year, they changed again in 04, it's been out there that there were some issues with the 03, can't remember exactly what they were.  

In the description it says he has different plastics on it, but I'm not sure about the frame. But like you said, either way it's a good bike

IMG_1784.jpg

Arm yourself with info before you look at it.  10th digit in the vin is the year, verify before you buy.  Good luck....

54mm forks????

Edited by poldies4

Arm yourself with info before you look at it.  10th digit in the vin is the year, verify before you buy.  Good luck....

Alright thanks everyone for the great info. I will let you all know how it goes
  • Like 1

Yo guys. I just picked up a 2002 yz 125 tonight and it looks really clean. Thanks for all the advice and helping me make the right choices. Now I just got to get used to the 2 stroke

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chopmaster13 said:

Yo guys. I just picked up a 2002 yz 125 tonight and it looks really clean. Thanks for all the advice and helping me make the right choices. Now I just got to get used to the 2 stroke

Congrats, I had an 02 YZ 125, great bike...enjoy!

I would have picked up the 300EXC in his ad.

But seriously, going to look at a used bike - check the air filter; even a car, check the air filter. It will tell you immediately if someone was looking after the bike.

I know i know, someone could have just cleaned it. However, in my experience, those that clean the air filter, always clean the air filter, and those that dont, dont.

I would have picked up the 300EXC in his ad.

But seriously, going to look at a used bike - check the air filter; even a car, check the air filter. It will tell you immediately if someone was looking after the bike.

I know i know, someone could have just cleaned it. However, in my experience, those that clean the air filter, always clean the air filter, and those that dont, dont.

Yeah I made sure to check all that. I ended up not dealing with that guy on that ad. He seemed sketchy and his bikes were really dirty. The problem I got now is that on my yz125 there is black oil on the exhaust and on the plastics behind it. The guy I bought the bike from said he ran 40:1 yamalube with the stock jets. The manual says to run 30:1 and I've heard 32:1 is the best mixture. Anyone have any ideas?

Just now, Chopmaster13 said:

Yeah I made sure to check all that. I ended up not dealing with that guy on that ad. He seemed sketchy and his bikes were really dirty. The problem I got now is that on my yz125 there is black oil on the exhaust and on the plastics behind it. The guy I bought the bike from said he ran 40:1 yamalube with the stock jets. The manual says to run 30:1 and I've heard 32:1 is the best mixture. Anyone have any ideas?

Run 32-1 with a good synthetic oil ( I run Amsoil Intimidator, there a plebty of good options).  Repack the silencer, seal the joint where the pipe connect to the cylinder with rtv, and make sure the joint where the pipes connect is sealed.  All 2 strokes spooge a little, if it's excessive it is either a worn out top end, reeds, or fat jetting.  These bikes were designed to be on the pipe all the time, if you lug it it will load up.

Run 32-1 with a good synthetic oil ( I run Amsoil Intimidator, there a plebty of good options).  Repack the silencer, seal the joint where the pipe connect to the cylinder with rtv, and make sure the joint where the pipes connect is sealed.  All 2 strokes spooge a little, if it's excessive it is either a worn out top end, reeds, or fat jetting.  These bikes were designed to be on the pipe all the time, if you lug it it will load up.

I understand the rich jetting part but could the sponge be from the wrong fuel/oil mixture or doesn't it make much of a difference?

Just now, Chopmaster13 said:

I understand the rich jetting part but could the sponge be from the wrong fuel/oil mixture or doesn't it make much of a difference?

The bike needs to be jetted for whatever mix you want to run.  You can run 40-1, just jet for it.  The common mistake is made when people try to add less oil to get rid of the spooge, that's not going to help.  The spooge is unburnt fuel, not just "extra" oil.  

I'd check the carb to see what the jetting is set at, clean it,  make sure it's stock, the start with fresh fuel at 32-1, fresh plug, and fresh packing in the silencer.  You need a static baseline to dial it in.