How to avoid Engine, Chassis & side plastic Scratches from boots?

How are you Riders?

I see so many post of bikes and the plastic, engine side covers, and Chassis look new! How the he'll do you guys do it? I ride my bike off road 3 to 4 times a week and on my 1st ride off road with my Drz the whole side was scratched from my boots. (Previous owners only street road so my bike looked new when I got it)

My question is, do you guys have any tips on how to prevent or limit those scratches?

For example:

-Side number panels - is there a clear thick plastic I can over my graphics?

-Clutch cover- Previous owner put on a colored case saver - My 1st off road ride scratched all the blue right off. I guess I should get a steel colored case saver next?

-Chassis- I guess the paint from the factory is shit cause its coming off and I already see potential rusting. Uugh

Should I strip this bike completely and repaint with better long lasting paint?

Thanks for your suggestions

And Stay awesome!20170902_103837.jpg

Sent from my LG-H918 using ThumperTalk mobile app

IMG_1940.JPG any time I rebuild a bike I like to do a really good job sanding the side cover... working from a large to small grit to remove scratches and then I clear coat the hell out of it after paint. With a thick layer of clear you can sand and buff scratches out later if you want but they get scratched anyway so I wouldn't be too worried about it :-) if it's clean you're not riding enough!

• Like 1

Agreed^^, especially since you ride multiple times per week. Chances are that paint wasnt original if its coming off like that, so dont sweat it. If you want the blong look get it coated properly for whatever it is and it will last a little longer.

• Like 1

I will offer a couple more options... cover the scratch prone areas with a base layer of real duct tape and finish with aluminum tape or buy a Harley.

Edited by DEMI
  • Like 2

How are you Riders?

I see so many post of bikes and the plastic, engine side covers, and Chassis look new! How the he'll do you guys do it? I ride my bike off road 3 to 4 times a week and on my 1st ride off road with my Drz the whole side was scratched from my boots. (Previous owners only street road so my bike looked new when I got it)

My question is, do you guys have any tips on how to prevent or limit those scratches?

For example:

-Side number panels - is there a clear thick plastic I can over my graphics?

-Clutch cover- Previous owner put on a colored case saver - My 1st off road ride scratched all the blue right off. I guess I should get a steel colored case saver next?

-Chassis- I guess the paint from the factory is shit cause its coming off and I already see potential rusting. Uugh

Should I strip this bike completely and repaint with better long lasting paint?

Thanks for your suggestions

And Stay awesome!20170902_103837.jpg.a57764d20cb2482e811c3d4cbc54770a.jpg

In the Thumper Talk DRZ store they sell engine guards that go on and cover the clutch and ignition cover.

For the frame, there are aluminum or carbon fiber units available from a couple different manufacturers. I have the Zeta Carbon Fiber on my bike.

IMG_20170823_201036543.jpg.0c5a1c55d7656c34055157490f65d33c.jpgIMG_20170823_201101764.jpg.1868e5fefafafbd2567e0f6632b74d43.jpg

Here are pictures of the TT case covers

Screenshot_20170912-110631.thumb.png.65c01b0f6133d3872c65b234c1a52062.pngScreenshot_20170912-110619.thumb.png.c62aa820ff82a24d1be9ec5301106c9f.png

Number plate backgrounds will protect the number plates.

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Confederate said:

Clean your bike really good, drain all the fluids, and put it on a stand in your bedroom and look at it. It will stay cherry that way.

There are people that own bikes then there are people that ride bikes.

:thumbsup:

• Like 2

You could have one that is all scratched and buy a second one that stays nice.

I rode with a guy Sunday that had a tricked out KTM 300. It had every bit of bling you could buy on it and in mint shape.  I took him to a hill I cut in a few months back and showed him how I climbed it a couple times.  He was timid and didn't stay in the throttle and failed.  He was up there and I guess didn't know how to get down off a failed hill. He dragged the bike by the front tire all the way down. Man he was pissed. All the scratches and ripped of one of his vanity handguards. He reminded me of a golfer that throws his club when he gets a bad shot.

On your plastics and frame, I think there is a thick clear tape you can cover the wear points with. 

On your clutch cover, there is a guy on here that claims he rides real hard and doesn't scratch it. His name is William1. He says all you have to do is ride square or something. I apparently ride angled because I wear the side covers to metal in no time.

• Like 1

IMG_1940.thumb.JPG.d1c9a7ca5427135f9f2b1008c7ecdd75.JPG any time I rebuild a bike I like to do a really good job sanding the side cover... working from a large to small grit to remove scratches and then I clear coat the hell out of it after paint. With a thick layer of clear you can sand and buff scratches out later if you want but they get scratched anyway so I wouldn't be too worried about it :-) if it's clean you're not riding enough!

Agreed! I was just looking at peoples bike pics and was wondering, do these guys ride these bike? Or is this pic of when it was brand new?!
I ride to much to have my bike perfect like that. The only thing that helps me is I can change bikes depending on why type of riding I am doing.
And thanks for the tips. I may paint my older bikes engine. (I have 5 bikes) and see how it comes out. I like the clear coat option.

• Like 1

Clean your bike really good, drain all the fluids, and put it on a stand in your bedroom and look at it. It will stay cherry that way.

There are people that own bikes then there are people that ride bikes.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha
That's exactly what I was wondering about the people posting the bike pics.
They look amazing but I'm like do these dudes ride these or hang them on the wall? 9be450597e8f5eab0a45d71226536286.jpg

Agreed^^, especially since you ride multiple times per week. Chances are that paint wasnt original if its coming off like that, so dont sweat it. If you want the blong look get it coated properly for whatever it is and it will last a little longer.

Thank you

• Like 1

I will offer a couple more options... cover the scratch prone areas with a base layer of real duct tape and finish with aluminum tape or buy a Harley.

Hmmmmm A Harley? Can I do single track on on a Harley?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Trail_Dude said:

Hmmmmm A Harley? Can I do single track on on a Harley? emoji12.png

Glad you are taking the razzing lightly man! Ohio offered good advice if you are so inclined.

Edited by DEMI
  • Like 1

It's a dirtbike ride it :ride: bought a 03 kx250 in September of 02 wore hole threw the frame with my left inner boot. Sold in 05 

• Like 2

In the Thumper Talk DRZ store they sell engine guards that go on and cover the clutch and ignition cover.
For the frame, there are aluminum or carbon fiber units available from a couple different manufacturers. I have the Zeta Carbon Fiber on my bike.
IMG_20170823_201036543.jpg.0c5a1c55d7656c34055157490f65d33c.jpgIMG_20170823_201101764.jpg.1868e5fefafafbd2567e0f6632b74d43.jpg

Here are pictures of the TT case covers
Screenshot_20170912-110631.thumb.png.65c01b0f6133d3872c65b234c1a52062.pngScreenshot_20170912-110619.thumb.png.c62aa820ff82a24d1be9ec5301106c9f.png

Number plate backgrounds will protect the number plates.
Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

You are completely awesome!!!!! This is what I am looking for. Thank you!

• Like 1

Buy new.
Never ride.

...the same thing the Harley riders do.

I think when I am like 85 years old I will( might ) turn into that guy, maybe....
Last week at our hare scramble track this 70 year old showed up on a ktm350 and looked good out there. That is my dream to make it to that point...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Trail_Dude said:

I think when I am like 85 years old I will( might ) turn into that guy, maybe....
Last week at our hare scramble track this 70 year old showed up on a ktm350 and looked good out there. That is my dream to make it to that point...

He probably does not care about scratches! :ride:

• Like 2

I rode with a guy Sunday that had a tricked out KTM 300. It had every bit of bling you could buy on it and in mint shape.  I took him to a hill I cut in a few months back and showed him how I climbed it a couple times.  He was timid and didn't stay in the throttle and failed.  He was up there and I guess didn't know how to get down off a failed hill. He dragged the bike by the front tire all the way down. Man he was pissed. All the scratches and ripped of one of his vanity handguards.

Damn he dragged the bike the whole way down!? Oh man, that must have been hard to watch? I would pay to see that happen and the looks on your faces as he destroyed his baby.
C'mon man what kind of a friend are you? You should have helped him or show I'm how to get down a failed hill!
Hahahahaha