Gear oil, it does make a difference. I'm trying Mobil 1 4T 10W-40 and . . .

. . . while I thought, 'What could be the difference?', well,  right away I could feel the difference.  Right before I had changed it, whether it was due to warm weather as it has been in the high 60's the past few mornings and the high 70's has not made a difference, with the Mobil 1 4T 10W-40, the gearbox is a lot notchier and forget about finding neutral.  I can hardly change from 1-2 or 2-1 while at a stop, engine running, in my dainty work shoes.  I had been using the Motul Transoil.  

Is the Motul Transoil the best for smooth shifting?  I was/am hoping I can find some oil off the shelf at Vatozone or Walmart that will work well in the gearbox.  

Edited by Ben500RR-S

Try some Valvoline. I am having good luck with it. Get mine at Autozone. And it is normal to need at least two changes to get all the old stuff out when you change brands, that could be part of your issue. On the initial change you are running an experimental mixture, no telling what might occur.

Edited by YHGEORGE

6 minutes ago, YHGEORGE said:

Try some Valvoline. I am having good luck with it. Get mine at Autozone. And it is normal to need at least two changes to get all the old stuff out when you change brands, that could be part of your issue. On the initial change you are running an experimental mixture, no telling what might occur.

I'll do that.  I'll suspend the judgement on the oil till I do another change.  

On all my previous bikes with a shared sump, I never had an issue with shifting no matter the oils I'd put in the gearboxes.  

2 hours ago, Ben500RR-S said:

. . . while I thought, 'What could be the difference?', well,  right away I could feel the difference.  Right before I had changed it, whether it was due to warm weather as it has been in the high 60's the past few mornings and the high 70's has not made a difference, with the Mobil 1 4T 10W-40, the gearbox is a lot notchier and forget about finding neutral.  I can hardly change from 1-2 or 2-1 while at a stop, engine running, in my dainty work shoes.  I had been using the Motul Transoil.  

Is the Motul Transoil the best for smooth shifting?  I was/am hoping I can find some oil off the shelf at Vatozone or Walmart that will work well in the gearbox.  

I've tried everything. Full synthetics, every one I have tried, always makes it  shift worse.....

IMHO, the best oil for trans feel is Honda HP Trans Oil ('honda red bottle')  or Honda HP-4.  

Also BelRay Gearsaver, PJ1 Clutchsaver, even Shell Delo400 works great.

Even the basic Rotella T oil works really good, but you can feel its effects fade quickly (Group 1). You basically just need to change it more often. I go 120mi max.

I prefer Group-2 oils for transmission, not Group-3 ('synthetic') and not Group 4/5 ('real ester based synthetic). 

STAY AWAY from automotive oils, as they have friction modifiers. Many are not listed, or divulved on the bottle.  They are also not designed for the shear loads our bike have.

If you oil is rated MA1 or MA2, it is safe to use. If it is not, don't use it in the gearbox.

• Like 2

We're now using the 7100 for both the motor and transmission. It's working great for us! Plus it cuts down on the different kinds of oils we need. 

Darn I just committed on an oil thread 🙄😂

IMG_2477.PNG

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, ccullins said:

We're now using the 7100 for both the motor and transmission. It's working great for us! Plus it cuts down on the different kinds of oils we need. 

IMG_2477.PNG

We'll check back in a few months and see how that goes.....!

I like that stuff too.

42 minutes ago, THE KRAN said:

I've tried everything. Full synthetics, every one I have tried, always makes it  shift worse.....

IMHO, the best oil for trans feel is Honda HP Trans Oil ('honda red bottle')  or Honda HP-4.  

Also BelRay Gearsaver, PJ1 Clutchsaver, even Shell Delo400 works great.

Even the basic Rotella T oil works really good, but you can feel its effects fade quickly (Group 1). You basically just need to change it more often. I go 120mi max.

I prefer Group-2 oils for transmission, not Group-3 ('synthetic') and not Group 4/5 ('real ester based synthetic). 

STAY AWAY from automotive oils, as they have friction modifiers. Many are not listed, or divulved on the bottle.  They are also not designed for the shear loads our bike have.

If you oil is rated MA1 or MA2, it is safe to use. If it is not, don't use it in the gearbox.

Thank you for the suggestions.  It helps a LOT when others who have the same gearbox, and have tried so many oils, makes a suggestion based on the experience.  

I will, and definitely know, to only use either MA1 or MA2 in the gearbox on account of the clutch.  It used to be the SF/SG were spec'd for gearboxes back in the day when the motor oils moved onto SL and SM.  

4 minutes ago, Ben500RR-S said:

Thank you for the suggestions.  It helps a LOT when others who have the same gearbox, and have tried so many oils, makes a suggestion based on the experience.  

I will, and definitely know, to only use either MA1 or MA2 in the gearbox on account of the clutch.  It used to be the SF/SG were spec'd for gearboxes back in the day when the motor oils moved onto SL and SM.  

This what Zip Ty racing uses, I have used it before with good results. I has to be the European formula for the gearbox.

c9c01299-d03d-4585-a9c6-30c352716672_1.6f2ed89dcd4e89b90d6c8050c73e8a06.jpeg

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ccullins said:

IMG_2477.PNG

Thanks.

It is one thing when it comes to motor oils where one can't tell the difference between one oil in their internal combustion engine, and another engine oil, but the gearbox, especially our Beta transmissions, that are tough, but rough, are just different or for some odd reason, sensitive to the gearbox oil.  

32 minutes ago, THE KRAN said:

We'll check back in a few months and see how that goes.....!

I like that stuff too.

Been using it since November of last year. 

Apparently the race team had been using it longer and we didn't even know until Ty punched a whole in this his races bike's clutch cover at an Endurocross and I was like "why is the oil red?". After that we started running it in all our bikes at home including the 2t RR's and trials bikes. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, ccullins said:

Been using it since November of last year. 

Apparently the race team had been using it longer and we didn't even know until Ty punched a whole in this his races bike's clutch cover at an Endurocross and I was like "why is the oil red?". After that we started running it in all our bikes at home including the 2t RR's and trials bikes. 

" Why, that's my BLOOD, son..."

• Like 3

I've tried quite a few different oils for smoother shifting and neutral hunting, seem to always come back to Klotz Gearsaver. Works similar to the 7100.   

What about Liqui Moly its the official oil for Beta's according to the ad's in Dirt Bike Magazine.  Anyone try it and like it?  Is it better then Motul?

3 minutes ago, JWR14 said:

What about Liqui Moly its the official oil for Beta's according to the ad's in Dirt Bike Magazine.  Anyone try it and like it?  Is it better then Motul?

The Motul decals/stickers are on both the clutch cover and the ignition cover of the bike.  

I just wonder why the Mobil 4T oil, or any oil for that matter, doesn't help with shifting but then again, oil is not just oil and there are differences hence, the blood-wars over which one is best.  

13 minutes ago, Ben500RR-S said:

The Motul decals/stickers are on both the clutch cover and the ignition cover of the bike.  

I just wonder why the Mobil 4T oil, or any oil for that matter, doesn't help with shifting but then again, oil is not just oil and there are differences hence, the blood-wars over which one is best.  

Yeah I know, that's why every time I read the ad in Dirt Bike Magazine I'm like WTF I thought Motul was.

I have used Liqui Moly in my motor vehicles engines.  Never in a gearbox, yet.  

Edited by Ben500RR-S

I had looked to see if the IDParts.com site, that is here in my state of MA, carried the LiquiMoly 4T JASO MA2, but they do not as they specialize in diesel engine stuff.  

I had used their motor oils in the VW, and now Porsche 3.0L turbo diesel engines I had/have as they require this oddball spec.  

1 hour ago, Ben500RR-S said:

I have used Liqui Moly in my motor vehicles engines.  Never in a gearbox, yet.  

On the website https://www.liqui-moly.com/ they have a bunch of transmission oils listed.  You can even select make Beta and whatever model bike you got and it will bring them up.