GoneDirtBikeN

Steep/long up hills

8 posts in this topic

So a new track I visited twice so far has a long and steep up hill. at the bottom there is a double/triple. So I do the double, roll over the triple part and get on the gas to go up the hill. Acceleration bumps form like crazy from the jump landing to just about the top of the hill where it smooths out slightly but is a table top jump as the peak.

I always seem to want to go to sitting when landing jumps. But then I hit the acceleration bumps going up hill. I tend to then go to standing using the first acceleration bump.

Going up hill I feel that I'm having to pull myself up on the bike using my arms when standing. If I can stay sitting, no problem with just using my legs to keep me locked in but that's not an option. Thing is I feel my arms pulling too much, meaning on the throttle side too and that is not good!  Suggestions? I'm guessing I just need to be leaning more forward but I feel like I'm doing that already. Probably one of those things you think you are doing but not really.

The good news is that I was doing a better job staying on the throttle going down the hill into the first turn. That part felt good.

Edited by GoneDirtBikeN

When landing any jump, I always want to be standing or at least crouched.  I want slightly bent legs to help absorb the impact and so that it's easier to lean forward as I accelerate to make the landing smoother.  Even if there is a corner right after the landing, I still want to land standing and not sit until nearing the apex.

It's good that you are aware that what you want to do and feel like you're doing may not be what you actually are doing.  It will probably be very helpful if you can get someone to take video of you at that section so that you can see what you are actually doing at the various points.  If you can't recruit some one to record you then set up a tripod.  Even if that records a lot of minutes with only a few of you, you can fast forward past the gaps or watch other riders doing the same sections and learn from them too about what to do or not do.

Yea, I've been working on the "stay standing" all over the track. Thing is, when I get out of my comfort zone my mind thinks it's safer to be seated so I to resist the urge. I find myself hovering over the seat more because of that. I need to work on staying forward on the landing.

I've setup my goPro on a tri-prod before. Time to do it again and see the ugly truth. LoL. Hopefully it looks better than what I think I'm going to see. Maybe I can fix it fast with the threat of seeing video of it.

I should add, I do lean forward and extend with my legs a bit to be "leaning against the acceleration". But then it feels like I'm really weighting the pegs while going through the acceleration bumps making it less easy to suck them up with the suspension.

Diablo Mx? There are two ways to control your body's balance in this situation. How far forward your Cg is rotated from the pegs and the distance your cg is from the pegs. If your already forward then try to keep your weight lowers. Lowering your weight reduces the leverage pulling you back. 

Edited by temporarily_locked
2 people like this

23 hours ago, temporarily_locked said:

Diablo Mx? There are two ways to control your body's balance in this situation. How far forward your Cg is rotated from the pegs and the distance your cg is from the pegs. If your already forward then try to keep your weight lowers. Lowering your weight reduces the leverage pulling you back. 

Yea, Diablo MX - http://www.diablomxranch.com/. I go to ClubMoto a lot because it is closest to where I live. Club is a fun track but it is very tight and technical. Diablo MX is not that much farther away. It just opened up last year. I'm told it use to be the old "Sand Hill" track. It's pretty fun. It's said to be 1.2 mile long so it is a long track for us in NorCal. Dirt is a mix of clay/sand and breaks in pretty nice. When they rip it they leave it pretty chunky. The first couple laps you just keep in mind that it is going to break in fast and nicely. I'd say it is actually one of the better tracks in our area. The other track I really like in this area is Argyll MX. Diablo MX has enough room that they actually have a few stretches you get to really get on the throttle. The section of whoops there is pretty easy as there is a long run into them from the corner before.

I was playing with the extension of my legs to get the best trade off of being able to control the bike going over the bumps but try to extend/lean forward to get ahead the force of the bike accelerating going up the hill. I'll have to pay attention to where the cg is; I suspect I can make it lower and more forward.

I pulled a muscle in my back on Thursday. I'm missing the OTHG race at Riverfront. :rant: I do plan on going back to Diablo MX often now.

Looks like we'll get another MX facility near hear - Ione Sands.

Try rolling your bars back just a touch. I can make a huge difference. Try to picture yourself standing in the attack position. If your hands are just about directly below your shoulders you can "post up " or "rest" your weight on the bars with far less energy. When your hands are in front of your shoulders you are pulling yourself forward which can be difficult and uses a lot of energy. More so on uphills

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, dirtbikesonny said:

Try rolling your bars back just a touch. I can make a huge difference. Try to picture yourself standing in the attack position. If your hands are just about directly below your shoulders you can "post up " or "rest" your weight on the bars with far less energy. When your hands are in front of your shoulders you are pulling yourself forward which can be difficult and uses a lot of energy. More so on uphills

Ding, ding, ding! Interestingly enough I had move the bars back to pretty much stock position (IMO pretty far forward for a 5'10" person). I had been rolling them back (and down) but I went pretty far. Someone correctly noted that having them that far back I was giving up a lot of control so I put them back to stock position not long ago. I'll have to revisit the position of the bars but maybe keep it to just a small adjustment(s) and see how that feels.