1978 Suzuki DS100 CCI question

Hey guys, been lurking long enough and finally time to ask a question.

I've looked all over and cant quite figure this one out.  I recently picked up a 78 DS100 that ran like new, until the other night and started slinging spooge.  I had premixed my gas 50:1, cause i wasn't sure if the oil pump was working or not.  I've since removed and bled the air, to be sure, and removed the line going to the jug.  Started it up, after changing spooged plug, and rotated the pump lever up, to simulate higher throttle.  It gave the result i was looking for, fairly even periodic pumps of injector oil.

Anyway, got to looking for the line that would be used to lube the left main bearing and cant find one.  Only line coming from tank and one going to the jug.

I was under the impression that these had a line going to the bearing and jug, i've seen two on other pumps.  

Did they do away with lubing the bearing this way at a certain year?  Does it still lube the bearing somehow from the CCI, maybe an internal passage?  Anyway, curious to hear from the experts, lol!

Also, what kinda torque do i use on that banjo bolt back into the head?  I almost twisted the damn thing off with very little!  Luckily i didnt and got another on order.  Thanks for all the help.  I'll get a better pic of her at some point, without the crappy razor in the way20161226_142158.thumb.jpg.c58f62531b6efa5f5df4b3d98b3ca26c.jpg 

Wow, that thing even looks new. Nice score. Most autolube bikes did not run a feed to the main bearings, most do just a dribble in to the intake tract and the gas coming in washes it in to the engine and voila, 2S mix.

I suggest sourcing a service manual for the bike, it will instruct you on the proper adjustment of the system. I do know the OEM used to set the pumps rich on oil for break in and that resetting it was supposed to be done at first service but... 90% of the bikes sold never came in for that service and therefore few ever had the pumps reset. Easy to do, just a feeler gauge and shims of varying thickness.

Ya, its in incredible shape for its age.  Just some old man had it among a collection and was garage kept.  I gave $600 for it, but feel it was worth it.  It starts off first kick every time and rides like new.  I have an 09 raptor that doesnt look as good and gives me more trouble. 

Just got to figure out my spooge issue.  Hoping it was just from the overabundance of oil it was getting.  I'll try to get some better pics of it too.

Anyway, i did score a service manual off ebay.  They dont mention anything about it lubing left main bearing, like i figured it would.  Just how to test if its working. Dont even give torque specs for the banjo.  Maybe i can find that in specs somewhere. 

I just Googled "CCI system on 1978 Suzuki DS100". Although not model specific, it appears most (?) Suzuki 2 stroke singles of that era had oil feed to the mains with the recommendation to not bypass the system by using premix. From what sketchy info I can find, it appears that there is a seal isolating the main bearing from the crankshaft lower end on the flywheel side, thus premix would not get to that bearing. Again, no positive confirmation that this info applies to your DR100.

http://suzukits.informe.com/wiki/view/CCI_Oil_Pump_(Testing_and_Setting)

I don't believe the DS models were imported into the US, which is why parts and info seem hard to find but what I've found is almost all parts and the basic design, that the TS models can be used for repairs, parts diagrams, etc.  I just looked at the Partzilla web site for a TS100.  It shows ONE oil pump outlet and also common in the TS line, the main bearing on the stator side is "conventional" with the seal on the outside of the bearing.  On the clutch side, the main seal is BETWEEN the crank and main bearing so gearbox oil lubricates that bearing.  

I don't believe the DS models were imported into the US, which is why parts and info seem hard to find but what I've found is almost all parts and the basic design, that the TS models can be used for repairs, parts diagrams, etc.  I just looked at the Partzilla web site for a TS100.  It shows ONE oil pump outlet and also common in the TS line, the main bearing on the stator side is "conventional" with the seal on the outside of the bearing.  On the clutch side, the main seal is BETWEEN the crank and main bearing so gearbox oil lubricates that bearing.  

DS models were indeed imported to the us

28 minutes ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

They were imported to US as well   :lol:

Ya they were definitely imported, I see them around. I was looking at pumps on eBay and older ones have two outputs and around 78 they appear to go to one.  I then found a thread were a guy said it was around this time they went to one, something about doing away with dreaded setup, I'd have to search around to find it.

It wasn't super clear if he meant they just did away with two output lines and went to one, somehow still lubing the bearing, or did away with the pump lubing the bearing all together.

Mine appears to be pumping, so I've moved on to focusing on the spooge issue. Believe it may be too much fuel, with added benefit of too much oil. I'll let ya know how it turns out. 

Thanks for the help guys

• Like 1

I thought there was something about the sale or importing of them.  You rarely OR never see the model listed on parts sellers - like Partzilla - and actual OEM used parts I've seen on ebay were almost all from England so I don't understand....

We have a 1978 DS80 model and you just can't kill it!! The oil tank disappeared years ago and just run premix in the tank.

• Like 1

Yeah, that model is NOT one with the special lubing technique on the stator side.  it should do JUST fine on the premix!

Perhaps this might help.  I have 78 and 79 DS 185s, and the manual for all sizes of those 2 years.   I believe your bike is a newer model. I think they changed the style in 1980.  The 78s and 79s still had the old classic turn down rear fender, and different tank.  Below is picture from front of manual.

20170627_130046.jpg

Sounds like this has been answered but when Suzuki re-designed the engines for these new models to the reed valve design starting in 1978 the DS (and TS) oil injection systems went to the single line to the intake tract.  As noted, much easier to run pre-mix.  Unfortunately for owners of the llarger TS/DS 185 & 250's their engines continued to use the two line system.

• Like 1