Jump to content

leaky grommet from stator

Recommended Posts

99 xr 600r. Ricky stator 200 w stator. oil leaking from where grommet exits side cover.

I cant get that sucker to seal...tried everything.

suggestions? Somebody got a neat trick they can share?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you make it super clean with brake parts cleaner, let it sit to evaporate all the cleaner then coat the wires with Threebond, slide the wires in to the grommet to draw in the sealant and then apply a small bead of Threebond around the grommet. Assemble and let sit over night before filling the bike with oil and running it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're talking about the rubber thats on the Ricky wires, and its a brand new Ricky. Call Ricky and complain.

Nothing (in business) is worse than an unhappy customer. If you bought something, and its supposed to be like this _ _ _, and isnt like that, a good business will make it right. 

But William speaks the truth, Id use Hondabond and call it a day. But if you ever touched this rubber with brake cleaner, thats why its leaking. 

Gasoline is my cleaner

Edited by notoriousE-R-I-C

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When adding a second circuit on the R stator, I had to poke two holes in the grommet for the extra wires, (not ideal). After cleaning well with alcohol and silicone all around, no leaks.

Not cutting the gasket, if reusing, where it meets the grommet will add to leaks though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just wrestled with the same topic.  I bought a used 87 with a Ricky Stator in it but even yamabond wouldn't seal it.  I bought a new grommet from Ricky and when I compared the new to the old it was easy to see why I couldn't get a good seal.  The old one was vey hard and had probably shrunk about 20%, my guess was this was because the previous owner had used some chemicals that attacked the rubber - but there is no way to know for sure.  Anyway I had to de-solder the harness at the coils to get the old grommet off and the new one on.  I soldered the wires back on and used shrink tubing to protect.  No leaks anymore

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×