Trails for my dirt bike experience in Wenatchee area?

So I have been riding around the trails between wenatchee and cashmere but with the fear of heights devils gulch and such trails are just not my cup of tea. Ive been trying to search around for more level ground trails/not so steep of drops close to me but just not seeing anything. Any recommendations would be great!

3 hours ago, seanomono said:

So I have been riding around the trails between wenatchee and cashmere but with the fear of heights devils gulch and such trails are just not my cup of tea. Ive been trying to search around for more level ground trails/not so steep of drops close to me but just not seeing anything. Any recommendations would be great!

Lake Wenatchee is a great place. Check out the lower Chiwawa and the trail into Mad Lake from Maverick Saddle. Trails marked as easy. I have taken my wife and kids there numerous times. Enjoy!

• Like 2

On 9/12/2017 at 10:03 PM, seanomono said:

Being afraid of exposure and heights is a normal reaction. It really bothered me at first, sometimes still does. You can overcome the fear and sensation by walking a trail section first, working your way up the challenges, having a more experienced rider lead/show you the way. A more experienced rider can also ride for you as needed. 

Many of the best trails have some exposure. So it's ashamed to miss them. 

• Like 3

Lake Wenatchee is a great place. Check out the lower Chiwawa and the trail into Mad Lake from Maverick Saddle. Trails marked as easy. I have taken my wife and kids there numerous times. Enjoy!

I've done a little bit of lower Chiwawa and definitely more of the level ground I prefer. The whoops were crazy bad here about a month ago through some of the section I did.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using ThumperTalk mobile app

Being afraid of exposure and heights is a normal reaction. It really bothered me at first, sometimes still does. You can overcome the fear and sensation by walking a trail section first, working your way up the challenges, having a more experienced rider lead/show you the way. A more experienced rider can also ride for you as needed. 
Many of the best trails have some exposure. So it's ashamed to miss them. 

Yeah fear of heights have always bothered me so probably won't go away. Would definitely feel more confident riding with others on those trails but have no riding buddys so riding by myself sometimes feels like a death wish.

4 hours ago, seanomono said:

Yeah fear of heights have always bothered me so probably won't go away. Would definitely feel more confident riding with others on those trails but have no riding buddys so riding by myself sometimes feels like a death wish.

Well, make it a point to find a few people to ride with. That Chiwawa trail, damn, was on that last Friday and much like low mountain connector/beginner trails....whooped out terribly. Honestly, most of the trails there that went way up, had little or no bad exposure. The Alder trail there, no big deal at all. Meanwhile, the Taneum and Naches area have some gut wrenchers.

But, why not make an effort to get rid of your fear of heights as a personal accomplishment, and reap the reward of better trail access?

• Like 1

59baedf63aa51_naches108.JPG.f164fe161719d52de7fdebccd1694378.JPG

Trail 949 at Little Naches, just above Baby Blood Rock. Eeekk.... I avoided this trail for a year due to rumors of the gravitational effect it can have on you....

• Like 2

Well, make it a point to find a few people to ride with. That Chiwawa trail, damn, was on that last Friday and much like low mountain connector/beginner trails....whooped out terribly. Honestly, most of the trails there that went way up, had little or no bad exposure. The Alder trail there, no big deal at all. Meanwhile, the Taneum and Naches area have some gut wrenchers.
But, why not make an effort to get rid of your fear of heights as a personal accomplishment, and reap the reward of better trail access?

Yeah I've been trying to use that meetup app and such but events clash with my schedule and then everyone I know with bikes break them and wait 2 years to fix them lol. Have you been out towards Mattawa? Heard it's a lot of just open riding and no strict trails.

Question for the OP.
What gets you, the trails with open exposure, trails that run along a steep hill, but have tress around. Just curious. That could be the difference on a trail recommendation.

Question for the OP.
What gets you, the trails with open exposure, trails that run along a steep hill, but have tress around. Just curious. That could be the difference on a trail recommendation.

It's the trails that are open exposure. If there are trees around it makes me feel a little more confident cause I feel I have a safety if things go south.

20 hours ago, TigerTanker said:

59baedf63aa51_naches108.JPG.f164fe161719d52de7fdebccd1694378.JPG

Trail 949 at Little Naches, just above Baby Blood Rock. Eeekk.... I avoided this trail for a year due to rumors of the gravitational effect it can have on you....

This is a section of Big Smoky here in Idaho. The section in the second pic used to be much narrower, piece of cake now.

skillern_2.jpg

skillern_3.jpg

• Like 2

Liking the Idaho pictures but hopefully this doesn't turn into a photo contest. For the OP,  I recommend some of the lower stuff at Entiat. Once you get up higher the sketch factor may go up for you so just turn around there. Foggy Dew also has some great areas too but when sketched out just turn around. Note there's a fire near F.D. so it may be closed now. 

Mattawa, for the most part, doesn't have the height factor concerns unless you like to ride to the edge of cliffs and look over. Lots of that there.             

• Like 1

On 9/14/2017 at 0:52 PM, seanomono said:

I'm an hour from Wenatchee and always down to ride. Shoot me a message if you want to ride. Headed to Ahtanum State Forest tomorrow if anyone wants to join

My mother lives out there and I am considering bringing my bike some time.  Question though...  

When you say fear of heights... Are these trails "mess up and die" or "mess up and have a bad day?"

My mother lives out there and I am considering bringing my bike some time.  Question though...  

When you say fear of heights... Are these trails "mess up and die" or "mess up and have a bad day?"

Depends what trail but some sections are possible death if you mess up

On 9/15/2017 at 10:04 AM, IdaSpode said:

This is a section of Big Smoky here in Idaho. The section in the second pic used to be much narrower, piece of cake now.

skillern_2.jpg

skillern_3.jpg

isn't t there a stinky hot spring near that section?

On 9/15/2017 at 8:17 AM, seanomono said:

It's the trails that are open exposure. If there are trees around it makes me feel a little more confident cause I feel I have a safety if things go south.

Here's a loop for ya....

Start at Deer camp. Ride the road up to Maverick saddle and follow upper mad river trail through the valley, stop and see Mad Lake, come back and continue on upper mad lake trail. Turn right at the trail toward Klone Peak...go up to the top if you'd like, but come back and take the LH turn onto two little lakes trail....follow it past the lakes and when you hit the intersection for Blue Lake trail, turn right and follow it back to the Mad River trail. Turn left, then keep left at the Y(don't go right toward Lost Lake), follow upper mad lake trail out the way you came in, and back to maverick saddle/deer camp. 

There are many different routes through the area, but that one has no major penalties for failure, you will be on trails that are frequented by others, so there is that. Pay attention to your speed, look ahead, run a light if ya got one, and if you have some sort of problem, someone will most likely happen by. The ranger station is near the intersection of Blue Lake and Upper Mad River trails, and there is a map posted at that intersection as well.

happy trails

Edited by Slackkinhard
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Slackkinhard said:

isn't t there a stinky hot spring near that section?

Yes, it's called Skillern Hot Springs.

• Like 1

Just now, IdaSpode said:

Yes, it's called Skillern Hot Springs.

I'd like to come back....maybe we can drag Schrode out of the house

• Like 2

On 9/15/2017 at 10:04 AM, IdaSpode said:

skillern_2.jpg

skillern_3.jpg

I really like that trail. The rocks really hammer you though, by the time you reach smiley creek the kidneys are aching.