Black plastic sheathing around front brake line?

My front brake line sheathing/protector is rough looking on a KX250 I'm restoring and am trying to think of something I could use in place of the OEM one. Brake line is in good shape so would rather not replace it.

Has anyone used something else, maybe from a big box hardware store or something?

IMG_20170912_224615.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using ThumperTalk mobile app

24 minutes ago, SnowMule said:

Use the dual-wall adhesive-lined stuff.  The cheap 2:1 crap from hardware stores won't stay put.

Are we talking about shrink tubing? If so, would I just get something big enough to fit over the banjo bolt area then heat it up with heat gun to fit it to size?

How about a way to replace the hard plastic sheathing that goes pretty much the whole length of the brake line? I have a tear at the bottom which is exposing the braided brake line. 

I would not remove the hard plastic sheathing, just put shrink tube over the bad area. Yes, get the shrink tube big enough to go over the banjo end.

• Like 1

Galfer BOGO special is the way to go. Unbeatable price , great products, good folks to deal with. Can't loose. It's what you need.

4 hours ago, DirtBikeHead said:

Are we talking about shrink tubing? If so, would I just get something big enough to fit over the banjo bolt area then heat it up with heat gun to fit it to size?

How about a way to replace the hard plastic sheathing that goes pretty much the whole length of the brake line? I have a tear at the bottom which is exposing the braided brake line. 

I'm in the electrical business and there are a few options for shrink tube and yes, use a heat gun or if you are REALLY careful, a propane torch.

What  is T&B Heavy Wall shrink tube in a 48" length HS12-6-4. IMO this stuff is BOMBER and it has sealant inside it and there are lots of other use for it :)

http://www.tnb.ca/en/pdf-catalogues/wire-termination/heat-shrinkable-tubing/C-Heat-Shrinkable Tubing-E.pdf

I use about a 6" length at the bottom over the bango, then about 8" where I have the cable running in front of the number plate red arrow.

For the section between there (green arrow), I would use the medium wall stuff but remember it will shrink down about 1/3 of its inner diameter.

59b9c4eff26b6_20170912_1846101.thumb.jpg.bd436bd56b77669f6cf5b10f5f14f011.jpg

Have never had that happen, problem with your routing or cable guides?

I think it was caused by a guide added to the front # plate. I didn't really inspect the situation before I tore it apart.

Might be time to just replace the line.  :excuseme:

It's really not bad but I hear ya!

Galfer BOGO special is the way to go. Unbeatable price , great products, good folks to deal with. Can't loose. It's what you need.

Good call, good price! Thanks

I'm in the electrical business and there are a few options for shrink tube and yes, use a heat gun or if you are REALLY careful, a propane torch.
What  is T&B Heavy Wall shrink tube in a 48" length HS12-6-4. IMO this stuff is BOMBER and it has sealant inside it and there are lots of other use for it
http://www.tnb.ca/en/pdf-catalogues/wire-termination/heat-shrinkable-tubing/C-Heat-Shrinkable Tubing-E.pdf
I use about a 6" length at the bottom over the bango, then about 8" where I have the cable running in front of the number plate red arrow.
For the section between there (green arrow), I would use the medium wall stuff but remember it will shrink down about 1/3 of its inner diameter.

59b9c4eff26b6_20170912_1846101.thumb.jpg.bd436bd56b77669f6cf5b10f5f14f011.jpg

Awesome, maybe I'll salvage this line after all!!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DirtBikeHead said:

I think it was caused by a guide added to the front # plate. I didn't really inspect the situation before I tore it apart.

Good call, good price! Thanks

Awesome, maybe I'll salvage this line after all!!

Thats my OEM front brake line from 2005 :)