best paint for average price

Hello, now that you guys have gave me ways to get rid of spray paint im wondering how should i paint it. I would power-coat it but I think that is over my 150 dollar budget. Any thoughts?

PC is 150 here and tax brings it to 162 OTD

I painted a frame "ONCE" out of all 25 restorations and it was a PITA. My time and money spect on stripper and paint was not worth it. 

Remember, once you spill fuel, brake fluid, or some cleaning chems on it, it "DONE". That bike was NOT one of my prouder creations.

So, if you "MUST" get automotive paint grade, and shoot it from a spray jug hooked up to your compressor. All the can paints are crap and will not give you the satisfaction of "job well done".

Do as you wish, I will NEVER paint a frame again. 

• Like 1

Powder coat is well worth the money and will last your whole ownership if you run frame guards.

Any color you want, and it's not on you if it's messed up when it's getting done.

alright, so yea I would for sure have to get the frame painted and i called the closest place, they are crazy and want 300. I'm going to keep looking around. Thanks

My budy used to PC all my frames for a great price. Problem was it was his terms as to when they get done, and I had to drive to the IE. Orange County PC wanted 350.00 SUCK IT! Embee down around the corner does Dubya exclusively, and all the IHR pistons in ceramic. I asked him and was 150 + sam. Oh, yah buddy... I will use you exclusively, put your name on my spread sheets and talk you up big time. 

Keep looking, there are places without greed!!!

GOOD NEWS!!!! I found a place that will pc my frame for $150. Once that is done i will be putting the bike back together with the adding of some tasteful mods.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Thtyzguy said:

If anyone knows any mods that will either look nice or improve performance/handling let me know

What year?

First thing is suspension.

Second is engine performance: Set squish, and maybe pipe/reeds/etc. (not really needed)

If you ride trails and not track, FWW

Then go for the bling. 

1 hour ago, Thtyzguy said:

I race the bike. It's a 1997 a I find it extremely hard to find parts

Yes, and getting harder each year. Might want to make it sweet, and look for 99 up, as the "engine" has been about the same, and in 02 the body.

2 hours ago, P84ONE said:

Yes, and getting harder each year. Might want to make it sweet, and look for 99 up, as the "engine" has been about the same, and in 02 the body.

so the body/plastics are the smae from the 02?

if so that would really help

same**

When painting a frame or any parts, I think many people judge the result by the new look and ignoe the long term.

In my experience powder-coating is a fairly soft surface (plastic) so it scratches quite easily. It also smears/smudges if wiped with some solvents. Then has a dirty and/or dull look.  Is there any powder coating product which cures hard like 2-pack paint?

For any surface coating, the worst result is when great chunks of it flake off due to a bad surface prep or primer/undercoat. The prep and undercoat is key for any good long term surface coat.

Ignoring all single pack paints (eg. spray can) and assuming some drips and runs are acceptable upon close inspection, I wonder if a good option would be to hand brush on some 2-pack acrylic car paint.  The stuff cures very hard and is cheap and common.  Anti-drip properties are pretty good too.

My steel frame has 2-pack polyurethane spray paint over good surface prep and prime, but still some pieces flake off or rub through in vulnerable areas and I've done touch up with a matching single pack acryllic car paint and it seems to work great.  

2 hours ago, Thtyzguy said:

so the body/plastics are the smae from the 02?

if so that would really help

same**

Same body plastics: 1996-2001 

2002-2006 changed front fender in 07, but the rest is the same to 2014.

2014-2018 changed air box but you can put all that on a 2002-2014 if you wish. 

It all bolts up.

So, your 97 will only accept 96-2001, unless you do some modifications and by the 02 up fuel cell. 

How often do you see one year later powder coated frames on the forums instead of freshly coated?  ALMOST NEVER. It may look good before it is ridden some, but it gets scratched up and doesn't look so shiny before too long. If I only had a dollar for every LOOK AT MY FRESHLY POWDER COATED FRAME!! post against $100 off every OK,guys, here we are a year later post. LOL :)