steamboatsprings Steamboat Springs suggestions for novice

Just made some very last minute plans to be in Steamboat this weekend and would like to take mine and my daughters dirtbikes along since I've never ridden up there.  Looking for some suggestions on trails to explore with my daughter.  She's still learning so not looking for anything technical or difficult.

I'm hoping there's some scenic/fast/flowy trails up in that area that we can check out, if you have any recommendations post them up please!

Most of the stuff around Hahn's peak is closed from the fire- you might be able to ride the areas south of Big Red Park, I would stick to the 2 track that is around the Ellis North trailheads. 

If she is at all comfortable with smaller hills, Buff pass has a trail at the summit that is fun. I would suggest that you ride Buff pass from the lower parking lot. That way if you get to the trail, and decide the trail isn't what you want, then you still will have fantastic views and a challenging enough ride for beginners,  just on the road. You can also ride to the reservoir just past the summit. The fall colors are spectacular right now! 

Just a heads up though if you do decide to ride the trail. There is another trail that connects to it. It's called Perrcy Lake trail. The lake is right at the beginning of the trail, but that is all the farther that you would want to go on that trail. The rest is a rocky decent to a road that you turn around on and ride back the same way you came in. 

Edited by trailrydr9
  • Like 1

Just wanted to say thanks for the recommendations, we decided to check out the Buffalo Pass area due to the fire up north.  Really pretty area, Aspens were changing pretty good, trails were a little wet from the rain/snow they got the night before, kid was stoked to see some snow and had a blast "flying" (in her mind lol) up the main fire road splashing through all the puddles!  Was pretty cold as we neared the summit, but we had a good time.  Would like to spend a cpl good days out there exploring for sure!!  Took a few pics while heading up the main road before branching off on a few of the trails...

001.jpg

005.jpg

002.jpg

003.JPG

010.jpg

008.jpg

007.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RkyMtnKTM said:

Just wanted to say thanks for the recommendations, we decided to check out the Buffalo Pass area due to the fire up north.  Really pretty area, Aspens were changing pretty good, trails were a little wet from the rain/snow they got the night before, kid was stoked to see some snow and had a blast "flying" (in her mind lol) up the main fire road splashing through all the puddles!  Was pretty cold as we neared the summit, but we had a good time.  Would like to spend a cpl good days out there exploring for sure!!  Took a few pics while heading up the main road before branching off on a few of the trails...

001.jpg

005.jpg

002.jpg

003.JPG

010.jpg

008.jpg

007.jpg

Now that looked like some fun! 

• Like 1