04 250x front fork service

I'm about to rebuild my front forks on my 04 250x. I don't figure it's been done it years if ever.! Seems like everything on the bike wasn't serviced properly when I bought it. Front end is like a pogo stick! I am having trouble finding a proper oil amount. I am a little over weight for the bike. My weight is 185. What oil amount would your guys recommend. Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using ThumperTalk mobile app

On top of the usual new oil, seals and bushings,

be sure to replace the ISC piston inner seals and,

the cartridge lower seals (rod) while you're in there as those are often problematic in this model of fork.

Those smaller seals (NOK brand) are available from suspension vendors like Factory Connection etc. 

At 185lbs, you are still within the ballpark of the stock fork spring rate (for trail riding, no mega jumps),

altering the oil volume only affects the progression in the last 1/3rd of the travel near bottoming.

You no doubt benefit from a stiffer shock spring in the 5.2 - 5.4 range,

the stock 4.8 is intended for a 150lbs or so rider and requires a lot of preload for anyone heavier.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info. I have the pivot works rebuild kit. Don't know if those seals are in there or not. This will be my first rebuild on my own. So 340ml is what I should use. Thanks again

In general, those internal cartridge seals are not included in kits

plus, it's highly suggested to only use the OEM replacement seals for proper fitment.

As for Pivot Works or other aftermarket seals and bushings kits, 

some have good luck with them but myself won't buy them anymore.

[/url]

This is a old video but my kit has all the same stuff in it as this one does. Not sure if the seals you were referring to are in it or not. They do have some of the o rings that replace the ones in the upper cartridge.

And do you use a product to clean all the suspension once it's disassemble or mainly just use compressed air to blow everything out?

Here's a video showing the cartridge / rod seal procedure,

by memory he also shows the ICS piston seals as well.

During dis-assembly, once you have the cartridge in hand (still assembled, full of oil)

if you pull out the damping rod and it get's sucked back in as you release it, that's a sign.

Here's my observations as I serviced the usual seals and bushings on my pre-owned CRF and 

then fiddled with many valving changes to better suit my usage. (slow rocky trails)

After each re-valve experiment, the forks would function great for the first few hours and they'd turn very mushy.

Reading up on the subject and looking for clues of this problem, upon each following dis-assembly / re-valve and

despite thorough bleeding of the cartridge each time, there was always a 'sloshing' feeling and sound present when cycling the rods in/out (air bubbles)

Once both ICS and rod seals serviced, upon each subsequent revalves I've done, 

the cartridges remain fully 'primed' and their performance doesn't degrade after several rides.

Your original post mentions "front end is like a pogo stick" , to me that's sufficient to look further

than just a routine service (bushings, seals & oil) and likely still have the same issues afterwards.

Both CRF's I work on (mine and a friend's) had the same problem until serviced and by discussions and

experiences of other forum members, it seems like a somewhat common issue for this model of fork.

Edited by mlatour

Man that's very helpful!! I guess I'm gonna have to order those seals just to be sure. Cause like I've said I doubt these forks have ever been serviced at all.

Got the forks done last night. I actually enjoyed doing that job. The old oil was super dirty brown and full of sludge . My damper rod seals seemed to be good. I added 330ml to each outside fork. Hope that's about right. We ride trails and rocky areas. Enduro type riding Now I have to figure out a good clicker setting. That's all new to me since I'm a new rider and didn't mess with it before. Thanks for all the help!