250R CAM SWAP

I tried this some 7 years ago. I have a California 2005 crf250x which came with a CA crf250x cam. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere max 27HP with the r cam, and 26HP with the x cam. Stock was 25HP.

As far as how it rides...

The "r" cam was interesting. The most noticeable difference was a feeling of a rush of power coming out of turns i.e. it really wanted to lift the front. On the other hand it was not as torquey from low revs. Basically the power curve felt slightly peeky and power started a bit later. I ended up going with a 49 state crf250x cam. The "r" cam was fun and reminds me of my sons 2 stroke. The rush of power out of turns is memorable, but, for me, unpredictable keeping within the limits of traction...sometimes it would break loose violently and way oversteer into a near 180, or it would crazy hook up and launch me into the woods off the trail, before the turn was complete. Of course, if I were a younger, and better rider and used it for more than 10-15 hours before switching it out.....who knows, it may have worked out great. It was fun though regardless. There is an easy "pink wire" mod that allows for a slightly higher rev limiter that would work well in conjunction with the r cam, if you get one.

Have Fun

• Like 2

I tried this some 7 years ago. I have a California 2005 crf250x which came with a CA crf250x cam. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere max 27HP with the r cam, and 26HP with the x cam. Stock was 25HP.

As far as how it rides...

The "r" cam was interesting. The most noticeable difference was a feeling of a rush of power coming out of turns i.e. it really wanted to lift the front. On the other hand it was not as torquey from low revs. Basically the power curve felt slightly peeky and power started a bit later. I ended up going with a 49 state crf250x cam. The "r" cam was fun and reminds me of my sons 2 stroke. The rush of power out of turns is memorable, but, for me, unpredictable keeping within the limits of traction...sometimes it would break loose violently and way oversteer into a near 180, or it would crazy hook up and launch me into the woods off the trail, before the turn was complete. Of course, if I were a younger, and better rider and used it for more than 10-15 hours before switching it out.....who knows, it may have worked out great. It was fun though regardless. There is an easy "pink wire" mod that allows for a slightly higher rev limiter that would work well in conjunction with the r cam, if you get one.

Have Fun

Thank you for your input brother!, now.. do you know of any maintenance interval changes with the R cams. I feel like if I switched the X cams out for the R my Valve timing, etc.. would be sooner and my top end wouldn’t last as long. (My top end has 5 hours on it) thank you!

Thank you for your input brother!, now.. do you know of any maintenance interval changes with the R cams. I feel like if I switched the X cams out for the R my Valve timing, etc.. would be sooner and my top end wouldn’t last as long. (My top end has 5 hours on it) thank you!

And I would be strictly using it on supermoto slicks with 14tooth front and 36 rear...

I don't know of any maintenance differences, but there are several R cams to chose from. As motonuttois posted the power is different. I tried R header and muffler but went back to X for the better bottom end. The fastest time between points A and B in the woods is not peak horsepower, it is being able to consistently maintain average speed and not spinning the rear tire or losing speeds in corners.

• Like 2

I wouldn't say there are maintenance interval differences for the R Cam, but...if you are supermoto racing, you'll have to be checking valves and doing the piston more often than if you were trail riding. I guess I'm stating the obvious...I wonder if you wouldn't want a complete R bike to go with that R Cam for Supermoto riding/racing. Also when you did the top end 5 hours ago, did you go with stainless intakes of OEM titanium? My experience is that stainless steel lasts much longer between valve jobs.

A crf250 Supermoto bike sounds pretty fun.