Scratches on lower fork tubes

2005 YZ250 with 2008 SSS forks.  

I recently had both fork seals replaced due to leaking fork oil.  I got over a year of use out of the seals, but my local shop said scratches I have on one of the lower fork tubes is contributing to fork seal wear.  I can feel the scratches with my finger nail.  They are not really rough, but rough enough to feel with a finger nail.  What is the best way to clean these up?  1000 grit sand paper, some sort of filler after sanding, or some other way?  I'm interested in  cleaning them up on order to improve seal life and to hopefully prevent premature seal leaks as much as possible.  Any help is appreciated.

• Like 1

I have seen a guy on youtube clean the nicks up with 800grit wet/sand and a small block of wood for a backing. Just don't go ape. 

No filler after needed. This dude, spinn forward to clean up. He does the rest wrong and talks about the wrong bushings. But jest get to the nick repair, and I wouldn't do the final ALL SAND either. 

I put my lower fork legs in the Lathe and polish them with fine polishing cloth 600 grit or finer.  all you can do is remove the high spots the gouges will remain but do not seem to cause a problem. The high spots are what damage the seal.

You must clean the legs with soap and water after polishing.

The best advise I can give you is to use the SKF green fork seals. These seals work better under all conditions (at least for me) and last ten times longer than anything Yamaha has made. I have tried all the Piviot works and All Balls kits as well and nothing compares to the SKF IMHO!

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1049/39423/SKF-Fork-and-Dust-Seal-Kit

• Like 2

Your talking thousandths of an inch layer, I would give it a go with 800 minimum for a few seconds then 1200 to 1500 to finish for a minute or so. All based on feel and look, good luck! That is a tuff one and I have zero experience with this exact thing just my opinion

Some suspension shops will polish-out minor scratches when they service your forks.

• Like 1

Sand them. People do it often.  Start with a finer grade than you think you need and then go rougher if you need it.  If the raised nick is tough/thick then you will need a little cork sanding block. Ideally you finish off with a +- 45 sanding cross hatch pattern to retain a film of oil and self clean the seals a little.  But anything smooth is better than you present situation.

• Like 1

Bring the lower fork tubes to a machine shop where they can chuck the bushing side and put the lug in a live center. Supply them with some crocus, emory, or 1000+ sand paper and get them to help you polish them. Good idea to use a little cutting oil or lubricant while doing so.

My local suspension shop will does this process and will charge about $40 to do so.

Thanks for all the great information.  All posts were helpful and I have some good ideas on how to go about it now!  I appreciate the input!

• Like 3