SHOOOT ME NOW ! Stripped threads - 6x120mm

After we replaced the 600 head gasket on the 650, then replaced the cam chain tensioner that was installed to ride the chain instead of the guide.... ( Fungles courtesy of professional bike shop, not me)

now we have a ...  wait for it....

stripped bolt from cam cover, through head, into cylinder.  I'm ready to hurt someone.

Any useful suggestions on how to fix threads that pulled out of a 4 1/2" deep hole?  I have no interest in removing the head... AGAIN.

Image19_IdemandthatUshootmenow.jpg

Edited by exdirtbiker

I used a 1/4-20 bolt in it's place and it worked fine, I didn't even tap it for all the same reasons.. really didn't want to take the head off.. I did run a 1/4" drill as far down as I needed to go though

That bolt should be m8...

Til it gets upgraded which I doubt, oil up the threads and either handtight it or be torque specific, dont just crank down.

The threaded section popped off on a dissassembly and this is when I was told to use a bolt and nut. A man of greater experience put me up on game. But I used an extractor and removed the snapped off piece and left the females in fine shape. Then $4 for the proper oem bolt cause of course I didnt have 115mm long m6 bolt in my piles.

And use a nylock nut. But next time you have the head off, just put a timesert in there.

I fixed it by using a 4 1/2" long, 1/4-20 AHSC with 4 little flutes ground into the first 2 threads = "self tapping screw".

the 6mm is .230", the 1/4 is .250.  not alot of material to work with, but it only needed 9 ft-lb of torque to do its job.

it works.

Thanks to all :-)

IMG_5560.JPG

IMG_5564.JPG

IMG_5566.JPG

I did exactly the same thing... except I didn't even bother with the "flutes", just ran it in and called it a day.. did it on a couple of them.. I think I had a 4 1/2" I used which had more thread engagement.
2 nights ago I felt one of the cylinder head bolts go weak on me as I torqued it.. I made my own time serts for that pair.. the other side had previously been stripped out and I used the cylinder bolts (cylinder to block) which are 10mm, and drilled and tapped the cylinder and the head to accept the bigger size.. works really well..

• Like 1

10 hours ago, skorpan777 said:

Helicoils are just perfekt for that

That is the correct tool for the job.  But... I would have to dis-assemble the motor again to do it.

When I rebuilt my XL600, I helicoiled EVERY BLEEPING ONE.  I didn't even think about it during this disaster. Call it a "senior moment"?

• Like 1

helicoils are weak in weak base metal..  Timeserts are definitely a step above.. I'm lucky i had the capability to make my own when I needed them since I live out in the sticks

• Like 2