Trail Riding And The MX Bike

You know I really enjoy my 17 KTM 450 SX-F for offroad and single track riding. I guess everyone is different but I would say I am an aggressive rider and wouldn't wanna ride anything else other than my bike for offroad. I like 2 strokes a lot too but I love the AER 48 air forks on this bike and the wide adjustability may be what makes this bike so good for off road riding. I have not over heated and am now running an orange O-ring chain. I do notice the O-ring chain has a little more drag compared to the stock MX chain but thats okay, it is definately more durable. Who else really enjoys an MX bike for offroad and single track?

Also how many of you do bolt checks before every ride and run a fresh air filter before every ride? I do and change the oil about 3-4 hrs.

I do the oil filter, use compressed air, well dust off to clean the strainers every time. I just got back in the house from changing the oil it had 3 hours on it and it came out pretty golden still so I think 5 hours is okay for an oil change. I am running the Motorex KTM coolant the purple stuff and was going to either go Boyesen super cooler or a digital fan but I am not overheating so I don't see the point. I am thinking about getting a slip on pipe though, I heard one recently and damn its nice sounding but I like the stock header pipe.

I ride my 450 sxf off road.  I have older bikes before they started swapping forks.  I would love some AER forks and i would send them off to Kreft moto to get their magic worked on them.  If you haven't seen then check them out.

On my 12 450sxf i did notice it getting hot in the slower stuff and the gearing was all wrong last time i took it out.  This was the last Carb model.  It didn't boil over but i could tell it was getting hot.  Just went up a gear and picked up the speed.  My 11 that i am still building has the upgraded KTM waterpump and will be getting a fan.  It also has a flywheel weight and will be getting an 18" rear instead of the 19.  For the rocks and roots around here the stiff 19" tires make it a bit harder to get traction.

I don't really have anything to compare it to since i have always used SX/MX bikes and haven't ridden an XC or XCW to compare it against.

This latest 450sxf is a great bike. I ride some knarly stuff on it. The guys on the 300s with recluse clutch and tubliss tires are disturbed that a 450 Motocross bike is handling the same terrain. Basically stock! And I can still go hit the tripples at the track.

• Like 1