Correct placement:reinstalling 01 yz250 forks

Hello I just rebuilt my forks and once again I have a small question I hope anybody can clear up for me?

2001 Yamaha YZ 250: I have reinstalled my forks and my question is,Are my forks reinstalled up to High?

The cap on top of forks with the clickers well just below that it tapers and has a direct line right below the taper,

For some reason I thought it would make the most sense that line lines up with the top of my triple clamps,

Referring to the manual and it's description and photos it appeared I had it installed correctly.

But I question it now because the fork guards get aligned into holders on the forks as well the front brake line on the left side.

Well they don't line up any more and it seems like the forks need to low a little bit maybe a qtr inch?

ANY HELP PLEASE.

IMG_20170913_202345959_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170913_202355459.jpg

IMG_20170913_202319439_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170913_202405752.jpg

IMG_20170913_202417838_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170913_202409783.jpg

The position of your forks in the triple clamps has nothing to do with the fork guards ... I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure your guides are on upside down ... the guard slides on the inside of the fork due to the straight edge

Flip em over and it should close the gap

• Like 1

I also have an '01 and the line in the upper leg indicates the "stock" location.  It looks like you're VERY close but I can't quite see the line.  It should be barely visible.  From there you can experiment for desired results but obviously, they have to be the same location.

12 hours ago, calterrainz925 said:

Hello I just rebuilt my forks and once again I have a small question I hope anybody can clear up for me?

2001 Yamaha YZ 250: I have reinstalled my forks and my question is,Are my forks reinstalled up to High?

The cap on top of forks with the clickers well just below that it tapers and has a direct line right below the taper,

For some reason I thought it would make the most sense that line lines up with the top of my triple clamps,

Referring to the manual and it's description and photos it appeared I had it installed correctly.

But I question it now because the fork guards get aligned into holders on the forks as well the front brake line on the left side.

Well they don't line up any more and it seems like the forks need to low a little bit maybe a qtr inch?

ANY HELP PLEASE.

What Cspencemx said, the guides are on the wrong legs. If you remove them, they will start to wear on the soft aluminum and create gouges. So many bikes I have restored and they are removed. I buy them of ebay for as cheap as I can and replace all the time. Sometimes even buy the set with the gaurds for cheaper than idiots think they are worth. Aftermarket giudes and gards are 30.00 bucks new. They look even however: If the axle does not slide through the forks, wheel, and align easy, you'll need to raise/lower one of the fork tubes in the triple clamp. The top lines are not "always" exact for the height of each fork on the old beat up springs. Also, get the air release screw out from under the bars so you can release the air build up every once in a while. 

11 hours ago, Cspencemx said:

The position of your forks in the triple clamps has nothing to do with the fork guards ... I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure your guides are on upside down ... the guard slides on the inside of the fork due to the straight edge

12 hours ago, calterrainz925 said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=b3312acf975e3c54Hello I just rebuilt my forks and once again I have a small question I hope anybody can clear up for me?

ANY HELP PLEASE.

What Cspencemx said, the guides are on the wrong legs. If you remove them, they will start to wear on the soft aluminum and create gouges. So many bikes I have restored and they are removed. I buy them of ebay for as cheap as I can and replace all the time. Sometimes even buy the set with the gaurds for cheaper than idiots think they are worth. Aftermarket giudes and gards are 30.00 bucks new. They look even however: If the axle does not slide through the forks, wheel, and align easy, you'll need to raise/lower one of the fork tubes in the triple clamp. The top lines are not "always" exact for the height of each fork on the old beat up springs. Also, get the air release screw out from under the bars so you can release the air build up every once in a while. 

12 hours ago, Cspencemx said:

• Like 1