1998 XR400 Kickstarter

Hello, I'm new to the forum and new to Dirt bikes. I have an issue I was hoping someone could help me with or give me advice.

I picked up a 98 XR400 for 200 bucks but the teeth on the kickstarter joint is rounded off. I put a 2002 xr250 kickstarter on it and it fit around the spindle but it wasn't very practical for permanent use, there's certain clearance issues. Anyways it fit well enough to get my XR400 started up in two kicks. 

Knowing that the kickstarter has been discontinued for this year. Does anyone have any new information on a kickstarter from another bike or year model that will fit on a 98 XR400? Maybe any leads on where I can buy a 98 kickstarter??

I've read the postings on this same issue and I'm aware of the modification that can be made but I really don't want to do it, at least not right now.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks 

IMG_5199.JPG.6547b81239301ee0c082546a74d685e4.JPG

Edited by Tyler Montes
Typo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, vicxr400 said:

is it the splines in the kickstart leaver knuckle that are striped or the shaft??? found this one on ebay will fit 98400

Thanks Vic! I'm going to order it now. The part that is stripped is the splines on the kickstart knuckle. Assuming by knuckle you mean this part.IMG_5200.JPG.ddb6e2d9121970aa2ca133261ce62964.JPG

cool I thought that was the problem from what you said  I have seen just the knuckle on ebay instead of the whole leaver but I cant seem to find one now? any hoo glad to help keep that beast thumpin.

Just an update for anyone interested. I received the 96-97 kickstarter and it fits effortlessly. Everything seems to line up but I am not able to screw the bolt in at the bottom. 

53 minutes ago, MountAiryTrailRiders said:

200 bucks for an xr 400 id say u did good! Looks clean too.

Thanks! The original white plastics were actually very crappy and the handle bars were broken but I had an xr250 that didn't run (my first purchase $300) so I transferred the handle bars and plastics off of it then sold it for $260. The engine runs strong though! 

Just an update for anyone interested. I received the 96-97 kickstarter and it fits effortlessly. Everything seems to line up but I am not able to screw the bolt in at the bottom. 

It needs to be seated all the way, or the bolt won't line up with the hole

3 hours ago, jamracing said:

It needs to be seated all the way, or the bolt won't line up with the hole

I'll give it another shot tomorrow and I'll let you know! Thanks!!

Are you sure the splined shaft is not getting pushed in slightly while you are pushing the pivot knuckle on?  I typically spread the split slot open on the pivot with a flat blade screw driver to allow more clearance between the mating spline teeth and then carefully wiggle the pivot back and forth on the spline male shaft.  If the male shaft want to push inward through  the case you can put a slight side load on it with the pivot knuckle to prevent it from moving back into the case.  Hope that makes sense.

Greg.

• Like 1