AdamW21

2018 RMZ 450 impressions?

So they are finally coming into people's hands. Figured a thread for people to give their thoughts about the bike would be a good idea

Let us know what mods are done to the bike and what you like and don't like

This is my best mates bike, he was pretty much the first in NZ to get his, he sent me these pics as he put it together. The weekend cant come quick enough :ride: 

21742247_10214026463036847_1079567900_o.jpg.80aae1e0e3eb5eb7ed694933f67f13d1.jpg21764133_10214026463356855_1171156566_o.jpg.306e0f124001959360d243aa0e579038.jpg21730052_10214026463476858_996149669_o.jpg.150ca13a92ba0251ef64d237b90d1533.jpg21729692_10214026463716864_1796404262_o.thumb.jpg.92e5e8f0bb6b1eb2fdfa6187429a0613.jpg21733494_10214026463836867_1769586035_o.jpg.e3b183cbbac2c8c58efa567df2cd111c.jpg21742270_10214026624680888_1885871814_o.jpg.414eb2daa4812bf87ad40c985e249b6b.jpg21733475_10214026653561610_667921745_o.jpg.949c528acd901d0ff944b0cd11ce6724.jpg21741972_10214034784404876_1832529388_o.jpg.c346cc22055a836ebe31bc96199a0732.jpg

Edited by Rotaholic
  • Like 9

I'm going to pick mine up next weekend. According to the dealer the bike was put on a truck Monday. I asked them not to do any set up as I would like to grease the bike personally before I assemble it so I won't have to wait on that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AdamW21 said:

So they are finally coming into people's hands. Figured a thread for people to give their thoughts about the bike would be a good idea

Theres a thread here on what people think about the bike

Theres a thread here on what people think about the bike

All of those folks don't own them I have read that thread. They are just going off paper specs
  • Like 9

So today I was finally able to get the bike out in the yard and do two 20 minute heat cycles and break it in

First and foremost do yourself a favor and throw away the stock plastic grips they KILL YOUR HANDS

I was impressed with how easy the bike starts. 1 kick ( half ass at that) no choke and it fires right up.

REMOVE the wave spring aka judder spring asap. I put on a works connection clutch perch and lever and on the first heat cycle I had so much clutch drag it was un real. The bike wanted the clutch lever pulled into the grip to disengage. Removed the wave spring ( just remove it it you need no parts it's the little washer at the very end of the clutch pack ) and the clutch was perfect 1/4 and it's rolling freely.

Hopefully get to ride it on a track tomorrow just in the yard the bike wanted to turn like crazy and felt very nimble the seat is ultra flat and easy to get on the front of.

• Like 1

Mine should be in the same time as Brian's...

Vital MX's 450 shootout sure gave the squakers something to yak about. "See, I knew it" type crap, yet people that have them(old and new model once they start making the rounds)love the bikes, that is what matters.

Edited by DEMI
  • Like 4

Got to ride the bike today and man is it different the bike wants to do nothing but turn !! It lays over with ease. The bike feels super narrow and the seat feels very flat. Only thing I felt that was weird that it felt like the bars and seat where very close together ex felt like the bike was way beneath me. This could just be from me not running my normal bar bend ( 971 ). But the bike is sick. Suspension is great I felt no funny business with the shock. Idk if it's just all smoke from vital or if it's just cause I'm slow and I can't push the shock to the limits. Either way the 18 is a HUGE upgrade. Motor is great aswell. Really really mellow but it pulls forever. I'm 100% sold on the bike. Even did some foot work today and let folks ride it to try and convert them. Several folks was shocked at how the bike was. As for weight I had no idea it was there. It felt lite. With in 4 laps I felt comfortable enough to start pushing and the bike was up to par. At 160 pounds and some big hits I never felt the suspension bottom out so idk if it's just big folks picking on a little bike or what. But it didn't have a problem holding me up

• Like 8

I dont get the Vital MX review. Micheal Lindsay says: "there's only compression on this shock, no high and low-speed adjusters".  Isnt this what the bfrc shock looks like:

2018-suzuki-rm-z450-review-4.jpg

if so then clearly there is a compression, rebound, AND high speed adjuster. Could it be that they never even attempted to adjust the rear shock during there "test"?

• Like 3

It's Vital, they were too busy bro'ing down to actually figure it out. 

• Like 10

i couldn't care less about how the bike ended up in their shootout, I just found it funny to read that in the Vital MX writeup. Im assuming its an error, if not then they have no business testing bikes. 

I am also interested in the bike, would like to wait for a ride day to try one. I bought a 2011 rmz250 and 450 based on trying them for myself. Would have bought a new bike by now but didnt want air forks or electric start. I may be in the major minority but i know that i wont keep on top of air pressures and battery charge, heck im lucky to clean the oil and air filter every 10hrs. On top of that, the new bike is over 2000 euro less than a ktm in my area.

looking forward to hearing some more impressions 

• Like 6

Same here. The more real world info on this bike the better. I read Vital's shootout and assumed they would have used every conventional adjustment possible to try and solve problems. I have my doubts now.

Still pumped for this bike.

Thanks for this thread.:thumbsup:

• Like 2

Well thats what i mean, if they did assume there was no adjustments to be made (i dont know how they could think that when simply looking at the shock body) then its reason enough to take the review with a grain of salt. On the other hand i am curious how the shock does handle. On my own bikes i never thought about the shock, which was a good thing because they never bothered me. I hope its not like KTM's old drop out shock they used to have, those where awkward to ride.   

This shock looks like a work of art and is new, so that means scary and learning something different,

Edited by DEMI
  • Like 1

I dont get the Vital MX review. Micheal Lindsay says: "there's only compression on this shock, no high and low-speed adjusters".  Isnt this what the bfrc shock looks like:
2018-suzuki-rm-z450-review-4.jpg
if so then clearly there is a compression, rebound, AND high speed adjuster. Could it be that they never even attempted to adjust the rear shock during there "test"?

They are correct to a certain extent the shock only has to adjustments. Tension aka rebound and comp. and THATS IT the big nut you see does not turn unless you are taking the shock apart. And there is no adjustment on the bottom of the shock you have those two "clickers" which they don't even click they just simply turn. So boys you better count your turns. There is no counting clicks on this one.

But like I said I never felt anything funny with the shock. It worked great for me and I couldn't even get the sag to where it's recommended. At the end of the day I ended up going 1 click softer on comp on the forks and rear shock and it settled the bike down a lot for me. With the normal setting the mid stroke was really stiff then it would go to the bottom. Adjusting the clickers fixed it and now the whole stroke feels smooth and consistent ONE CLICK ON THE FORKS IS HUGE. The amount of change one simple click makes is crazy.

Hoping to get the bike out again this weekend and ride it somewhere this time with a rekluse ( I have been spoiled in using a rekluse and when I ride without one I go brain dead and kill my lap times ) so hopefully with the rekluse and it being set up very very similar to what I'm uset to ( 12 rmz that I put tons of seat time on with the same seat up) I'm hoping to get deeper in the bike. Like I mentioned above the peg to handlebar ratio is way different. I'm only 5'10 and while standing in a attack position the bike felt really beneath me. But after a few laps that goes to the back of the mind.
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, AdamW21 said:

They are correct to a certain extent the shock only has to adjustments. Tension aka rebound and comp.

well that is interesting then, teaches me to speak too soon as well i guess. I was assuming that the ten (tension/rebound) and com (compression) where low speed adjusters and that the H - S indication was for the high speed (large nut). I have to admit that im not too happy about not having a HS compression adjustment as this is the one i use mostly when tuning the rear end on my bikes. let us know how it works on the track, and i hear you about the rekluse, i have one on my 450! 

• Like 1

The way I see it right now is that they went from Plastic gas tank to aluminum and now back to plastic . Front went from Dual spring to SFF Spring ,Air SFF and now back to Dual Spring . 
 The bike has the swing arm of a KTM and the  Body work  reminds me of a Yamaha etc. 
 Its different but is it better?  
 I had my fits at first with the TAC sff forks from the past but now I wouldn't want to go back . fuel injection is a masterpiece . I'm not one to shy away from progress but this bike seems to step back . 

• Like 1

The way I see it right now is that they went from Plastic gas tank to aluminum and now back to plastic . Front went from Dual spring to SFF Spring ,Air SFF and now back to Dual Spring . 
 The bike has the swing arm of a KTM and the  Body work  reminds me of a Yamaha etc. 
 Its different but is it better?  
 I had my fits at first with the TAC sff forks from the past but now I wouldn't want to go back . fuel injection is a masterpiece . I'm not one to shy away from progress but this bike seems to step back . 

Ride one and I bet you change your mind.
well that is interesting then, teaches me to speak too soon as well i guess. I was assuming that the ten (tension/rebound) and com (compression) where low speed adjusters and that the H - S indication was for the high speed (large nut). I have to admit that im not too happy about not having a HS compression adjustment as this is the one i use mostly when tuning the rear end on my bikes. let us know how it works on the track, and i hear you about the rekluse, i have one on my 450! 

The h-s is just showing you which direction to turn the adjuster to go harder or softer

The h-s is just showing you which direction to turn the adjuster to go harder or softer

Yeah I gathered so much after the fact. I just assumed wrong
  • Like 1

On 9/15/2017 at 5:46 PM, AdamW21 said:

So today I was finally able to get the bike out in the yard and do two 20 minute heat cycles and break it in

First and foremost do yourself a favor and throw away the stock plastic grips they KILL YOUR HANDS

I was impressed with how easy the bike starts. 1 kick ( half ass at that) no choke and it fires right up.

REMOVE the wave spring aka judder spring asap. I put on a works connection clutch perch and lever and on the first heat cycle I had so much clutch drag it was un real. The bike wanted the clutch lever pulled into the grip to disengage. Removed the wave spring ( just remove it it you need no parts it's the little washer at the very end of the clutch pack ) and the clutch was perfect 1/4 and it's rolling freely.

Hopefully get to ride it on a track tomorrow just in the yard the bike wanted to turn like crazy and felt very nimble the seat is ultra flat and easy to get on the front of.

Adam-

What purpose does the wave spring serve? How can it be removed with no consequence? I have the same issue on my brand new, unridden '16: Bike creeps, lever has to be back to bar.