2018 RMZ 450 impressions?

It seems SO odd to me that Suzuki would finally launch a new platform, and simultaneously discontinue there World GP and Japanese teams!!!

Money. Suzuki’s gp’s were funded 100% by suzuki they had no big title sponsor. And the way gp’s are setup it’s a huge money grab. They wouldn’t mind supplying parts and bikes to a team but paying to race and salaries on a 100% of their dime and taking a complete loose isn’t smart. I’m sure they are thinking of pulling out ( I haven’t seen nothing official yet, jermey sewer still seems to be getting bikes for them ) to stop the motorcycle of things from going under completely. I’d love to see what 18 sales are already compared to 17’s. Seems as if the 18’s are selling pretty good
  • Like 1

So I have found air filters that are out.

Air filter
Twin air 153220
Add a x to the end of the number for pre oiled filter

Air filter cover
Twin air 160113

Check eBay to order these they are listed as part numbers only with no applications that they fit. These part numbers are exactly what twin air has on their website for the 18 rmz 55$ for a wash cover and a filter shipped isn’t bad

You can search for a 18 rmz filter on eBay and find them in the uk that says it’s for a 18 rmz but the price shipped and all for a cover and filter is 79$

So save money and just buy the us stock ones.

Also accerbis and Works connection both said they will have skid plates out in November

Meanwhile cyca said it will be April

Also seems as if PC has a exhaust out for the bike
IMG_6115.jpg

• Like 2

Come on guys, Need some feedback here. Im hearing the new Suzuki doesn't turn as well as he old model which doesn't really make me want to upgrade. Rumor has it that the ktm and Honda have finally passed it in this area. Ktm is starting to look better and better. Tell me I'm wrong or else!!  Haha. 

Come on guys, Need some feedback here. Im hearing the new Suzuki doesn't turn as well as he old model which doesn't really make me want to upgrade. Rumor has it that the ktm and Honda have finally passed it in this area. Ktm is starting to look better and better. Tell me I'm wrong or else!!  Haha. 

I have been a Suzuki guy for years and still love my 13 rmz450. But... with e-start, weighing 16-17lbs less, hydro clutch, easy access air filter, awesome braking and around 58hp combined with rave reviews from a lot of people I ride with (plus, dealerships in my area are pretty bad) I caved and bought a 17 sx450f. I honestly feel that this bike will out corner my trusty Suzuki, with better stability. If you can find a good price, they are a great option.
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, fowler175 said:

No need to tear up emoji22.pnglol. I'm still a fan of Suzuki's, but if a guy is thinking of switching brands... can't really go wrong with orange

Haha, true... but singing the praises of another brand really isn't cool. Try the same in a more active forum and see where it gets ya. Glad you are happy however.

• Like 1

The bike turns on a dime... just like the old model. Unfortunately I did not ride the bike stock but I think set up is even more crucial on this bike based on feedback from people that rode it stock. I only have about 30-40 mins on the bike, on a buddies small backyard track but it feels REALLY good. It feels very similar to my 12, which I was hoping. I still need to make some minor adjustments as the rear wasn’t staying “quite” as planted as I would like, but overall I don’t think it will be hard to get it dialed. The front is extremely planted and predictable. I went through the exact same thing with my 12. I wouldn’t say it is a downgrade in handling at all. Handles just as well as the older models despite what the mags say, maybe even easier to lay over. The one thing I KNOW is it is more stable at speed. It def feels much lighter in the air and in the corners than the old platform.

• Like 3

On 9/14/2017 at 8:39 AM, AdamW21 said:

All of those folks don't own them I have read that thread. They are just going off paper specs

Exactly. You don't ride spec sheets. I was at two dealers that sold Suzukis and they both have brand new 2016 RM-Zs on the floor. I've seen the Suzukis get trashed in the magazines. Apparently even the professional practice riders, who don't know what the little knobs on the shock do, feel they needed the fastest, most powerful bike. If one day I get back into dirt biking I'd jump on one of the 2016s at a discount price. I admit I'm not getting a factory ride and I doubt I can tell the difference between any of the other bikes.

• Like 3

IMG_2211.thumb.jpg.483ed4c32309082e8a24100f6930c310.jpgIMG_2212.thumb.jpg.a996f4221ccb79ce2c667f549598f4a8.jpg. Anyone think this will work out. Will be getting some more thicker Metal. Just something I have around the shop

Have you thought of just relocating the mount further back on the can? It should be cheap/easy to weld up the old holes...
  • Like 1

So back with another ride support

Finally got a rear spring that fits my weight and let me get 111mm sag ( several reviews was saying this was the sweet spot ) and man oh mans the suspension is great. I went a half turn soft on the comp and tension and two clicks soft on the rebound and comp on the forks. The bike tracks straight as a arrow and soaks up everything. Earlier in the day I was having problems with the front rebounding to much with the stock clickers setting and being harsh compared to the rear this is why I went softer

I have rode 2.7 hours with the rich coupler and the bike was silky smooth but down low was lacking just a hair

Went to the lean coupler and the bike came alive. The bottom end is strong and to me the bike feels as if it pulls forever

The bike still turns on a dime and feels very nimble on the track in turns and the air

High speed straights and turns the front end stays planted. I’m so impressed with the suspension I do not think I will be getting a revalve

I did feels as if the rear was very lively
Not in a bad way but you can feel it move more then a normal rear shock
But I don’t see this as a bad thing the shock was constantly moving to stick the rear wheel to the ground. Braking and acceleration bumps the rear tire was glued down. It never bounced up and hit my butt or anything funny

I MIGHT be getting a pipe for the bike the wife hinted at it. Not because the bike needs one or that I need more power but just for personal looks.

Still can’t decide between the fmf or yoshi or pc tho. Not really worried about power gains.

After reading the reports from the media, I was dissapointed to see the new bike not fair well so far in the couple of shootouts that are out so far.  I was skeptical of the new bike as I'm sure many of you are who haven't gotten a chance to ride one.  My buddy just picked up an 18 yesterday, and we went riding in the afternoon at Rocky Hill MX in CT.  I have a stock 15 with a Racetech spring conversion and gold valves front and rear for  me, and a Yosh exhaust.  Got on his, and the bike definitely has the same "Suzuki" feel (love it).  It corners just as well as my bike, and feels a bit lighter/more flickable even though the scale's say it's about the same as the previous version.  It was really good in a straight line as well.  The bike handled well for me with the stock suspension, I like the new fork.  Didn't have any issue with the new shock, I believe he went in a smidgen on the tension but it felt great.  The motor was similar to my 15.  My other buddy has a 17 Honda with the "fix's" which pretty much makes it an 18 with Factory Connection suspension, and got to ride that back to back.  The Honda is definitely a more powerful motor, and it was a pretty good bike that I'm sure I could dial in for myself and be happy with.  I did however feel more comfortable on the new RM-Z.  It may be because I am used to my 15, but I was instantly comfortable on the bike.  I have listened to Kris Keefer's shootout, and read Vital's.  Honestly guy's, pick a color.  Being fortunate enough to ride the "winner" of the shootout's against the supposed "6th place" Suzuki, I feel like both bikes were more than capable of being a great bike to own.  I have never ridden a KTM, so I can't compare that bike to the Honda/Suzuki.  If it were me with my limited experience with the CRF/RM-Z, I'd get the new 18 RM-Z for my money in a heart beat.  I just felt way more comfortable on it.  If you like the feel of the Suzuki, don't be worried about buying an 18.  Anyway, just an honest ride report from a 32 year old 175lb Vet B father of 2 young kids who get's out to ride once a week.  If it's not fast enough for you, throw a piston and pipe on it. 

• Like 9

On 9/28/2017 at 5:07 PM, DEMI said:

Don't think there will be much choice in the future. Market pressure will leave Suzuki little in the way of options...Get the 18 and you won't have to worry.

What other things?

I bought a '16  AND a '17. Other things such as : peak hp, powerband/spread, weight.

• NoFiddyPilot changed the title to 2018 RMZ 450 impressions?